Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to gator soup

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

PS and PSE plugins can only access functions that are exposed to external modules through what developers call an API (Application Programming Interface). This is the only way for external code to communicate with the PS/PSE internals. If this API was able to expose the 16-bit memory management mechanism, I guess that the problem would have been solved by a plugin developer since a long time. But plugin developers only see from the PS internals what Adobe allow them to see.

Thanks for taking the time with the explanation Samoreen, I understand it fully once it's laid out so clearly... still sux though!

As I mentioned above, I can't imagine Adobe allowing PSE to handle 16-bit files, that would simply guarantee a mass exodus of enthusiasts and subscription-haters from the Cloud they have spent so long putting into place.

So I'm guessing we'll have to wait for a 3rd party White Knight - I'm looking at YOU, Nik/Google! - to ride to our rescue!

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to pf22

It also cost you 60 to 80% more then a netbook has less storage, an awful touch screen keyboard, a primitive iOS user interface and can not run legacy software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

It also cost you 60 to 80% more then a netbook has less storage, an awful touch screen keyboard, a primitive iOS user interface and can not run legacy software.

I use the iPad for very specific tasks... Digital Portfolio first and foremost, Kindle Reader, mobile access to my calendars and e-mail, limited web surfing, that's it; no gaming, no vid streaming etc. If I want to actually work, well, that's why I built my Win7 Pro 64-bit workstation.

I agree with you on the touchscreen keyboard, I don't like the one on my iPod Touch or my Windows Phone either, but for the iPad I bought a Bluetooth keyboard/cover, which does a reasonable job. As for the cost, I've picked up paid gigs just because I was able to show people my work on the iPad right then-and-there,  instead of letting them walk away with my card saying they'll check my site later, so it's more than paid for itself!

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to pf22

I gave up working 10 years ago I make no money I do no work

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Floatingrock

Petition signed - from a casual Photoshop / Elements user.  This isn't my profession, don't treat me as if it were.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to halt00

The "Eliminate the Mandatory Creative Cloud Subscription Model" petition just hit 20,000 signatures and is still climbing strong. Find the link in post #40 of this thread by Floatingrock.

I don't think Photoshop CS6 is anywhere near dead. Actually, I think CC, in its present iteration, is near death -- or rather, about to "evolve." Photoshop users are speaking out and making viable suggestions to Adobe concerning what changes in the CC model would work better for them. I belive Adobe has enough marketing savy and innovation to come up with a more equitable CC model that will fulfill the needs and pocketbooks of both professional and non-professional users.

This may all take some time, so I placed my money last week on an upgrade to Photoshop CS6, from CS5.1.  Like with thousands of other Photoshop users, the CC model simply does NOT work for me -- period.  So for me, it just makes sense to invest in CS6 for now and let the market shake-out. And most likely, future incentives (offers) from Adobe for me to make the switch to CC will probably require owning CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to *Photonic

I did, and posted it on Facebook too!  It was 17,000ish when I signed last night.  Hopefully Adobe will listen.  BTW, please post instructions on how you are able to upgrade from 5.1 to 6.  Everyl link I find (even in my Adobe acount) leads to a subscription instead of the $199 offer to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to halt00

halt00 wrote:

I did, and posted it on Facebook too!  It was 17,000ish when I signed last night.  Hopefully Adobe will listen.  BTW, please post instructions on how you are able to upgrade from 5.1 to 6.  Everyl link I find (even in my Adobe acount) leads to a subscription instead of the $199 offer to upgrade.

Wow, that's over 3,000 signatures in a day. This thing may go viral.

Access to the CS6 upgrade page is mysteriously very hard to find, and then tricky to navigate.

But fortunately it is still active. Here is the link, followed by instructions.

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10

Look down the list and find the Photoshop CS6 row with the pic of the albino woman.

Click on "BUY," even though the price says $699. That's just there to scare you away.

Click on the "I want to buy" drop-down menu and select "Upgrade."

Click on the "I own" drop-down menu and select what version you already have.

You can probably figure out the rest. Good luck. Adobe should market this upgrade process as a computer game.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to *Photonic

*Photonic wrote:

…Look down the list and find the Photoshop CS6 row with the pic of the albino woman…

…Adobe should market this upgrade process as a computer game.

LOL ! 

Picture 7.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to station_two

Maybe this was their master plan - to panic people into upgrading because we feared we wouldn't be able to in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to halt00

It would be interesting to see a graph of recent PSCS6 upgrade purchases.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

No doubt Adobe is receiving a ton of orders for the CS6 upgrade. It just makes sense for a lot of folks, like myself. But I don't think Adobe is wanting this to happen in a big way, because all these people are not going to be signing up for CC, which they are trying very hard to promote right now. In a way, it's how you can boycott CC w/o jeopardizing your own photo-editing capablity for now and a couple of years into the future.

Evidence of this has already been discussed in this and other threads. The CS6 product license purchase page has been all but taken down, deeply hidden from view to the point it is impossible to navigate to from the website. I had to contact Adobe Tech Support and and wait 15 minutes for them to give me the CS6 purchase page. Others who called to purchase report being given the hard-sell on CC rather than quickly selling them CS6. Even Scott Kelby reports having to really dig to find the upgrade page URL so he could publish it on his blog.

I still recommend that folks seriously consider this option as good for themselves and "the cause," by ugrading to Photoshop CS6 now, before Adobe nixes that option. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still available.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to *Photonic

That's why I'd recommend that no-one upgrade to CS6 until they come back and say they're going to reinstate perpetual licensing.. We need to punish them financially.  Also even though someone has signed up for CC, they should still sign the petition. Afterall, having an option benefits everyone, including those that have bought into this new scheme.. We're currently sitting at 21,000 names, let's make that 210,000 names.. Let everyone know, including hobbyists, photographers, graphic designers, print shops, anyone and everyone that uses any one or number of adobe products needs to lend their voices to this cause!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Floatingrock

Floatingrock wrote:

That's why I'd recommend that no-one upgrade to CS6 until they come back and say they're going to reinstate perpetual licensing.. We need to punish them financially.  Also even though someone has signed up for CC, they should still sign the petition. Afterall, having an option benefits everyone, including those that have bought into this new scheme.. We're currently sitting at 21,000 names, let's make that 210,000 names..

Granted, I know how you feel. I really didn't want to give Adobe another cent of my money, ever, because my budget was set to upgrade to CS7 when it came out -- not CS6. But i thought long and hard about my options, realizing that I could be hurting myself more than Adobe by not guaranteeing my ability to continue my present level of photo-editing for now and into the future. I feel that by upgrading now, I have bought myself some time to watch the market and see what happens.

I hope people will seriously consider and publicize viable options for Photoshop's future over at my thread "Suggestions for Creative Cloud 2.0?" This will show not only Adobe what folks are wanting, but also third-party companies considering jumping into the new market that has just been created by all the dissatisfaction with the CC model.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to *Photonic

Hey no worries, people have to do what's right for their own circumstances.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to gator soup

If you think about it, this company has gone down hill for a long time. I can remember when adobe provided some pretty well designed and laid out manuals with their software. They were well put together and did a very good job of teaching users how to get a good solid understanding of the toolset available in whatever package you were using. Now the documentation that accompanies adobe software  is digital, and  to put it nicely, horrible! Firstly, it doesn't work and secondly, it's rarely updated. There's no project based learning anymore common in the early days. It obvious, they're doing less and less for more and more! Collectively, we made this company, we, the users should be dictating to adobe what we'll tolerate and what we won't! Vote with your pocketbook, tell them no to CC only and tell them yes to better manuals and training! It's about time they focused less on their shareholders at the expense of their customer base.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 20, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to Floatingrock

Adobe Documentation and Adobe Support if you even willing to call it support both need and overhauling. Add to that testing Adobe seem to have taken regression test out of the development process and new code is not tested all that well.  Remenber the first CS6 update fixed 56 core issues and it took Adobe 5 months after CS6 shipped to produce the update. For me CS6 was unusable for the first five months I had it and it still occasionally crashes.  56 core issues in product code bugs introduced in CS4 still in CS6 yes Adobe needs an overhauling and has for years.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Add to that testing Adobe seem to have taken regression test out of the development process and new code is not tested all that well.

JJ, it's hard to know what Adobe is doing internally, testing-wise.  I do understand where you're coming from, though.  It's frustrating to see bugs reported, acknowledged, then left unaddressed sometimes for a long time.

My impression is that it's an incredibly complex product code base that's been changed almost to death by slapping on new features, always in a rush, and as such now apparently it's a good bit harder than it ought to be to make changes - especially substantial ones - without screwing something up unexpectedly.  I'm not trying to make excuses for product quality issues, but I think I do also understand them somewhat.

If I were forced to guess at where the roots of some of the recent problems might lie, I'd say they're not in the testing, but in the design phase.  There are a lot of issues that seemingly would have been avoided with design review by someone who actually USES Photoshop.  Maybe even a good checklist would help, with line items such as "Have you considered what your design change means to actions?  Scripting?", for example.

That said, reading between the lines I've gotten a sense lately that Adobe actually IS putting more effort into cleaning up internal infrastructure that's been taxed by supporting many add-ons over time.  I have a feeling the cloud model will promote even more of that kind of work, and we may well see future versions that actually work better in key areas that have always been "good enough as is".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

>  I have a feeling the cloud model will promote even more of that kind of work, and we may

>  well see future versions that actually work better in key areas that have always been "good

>  enough as is".

What part of the "cloud model" do you believe will result in higher quality? They just suffered though a protracted failure of cloud 'sync' so that doesn't seem to build confidence...

At face value, it sounds like they claim they will be delivering changes on an even shorter schedule than before...

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi,

Noel Carboni wrote:

JJ, it's hard to know what Adobe is doing internally, testing-wise.

But it's not very hard for a developer to understand what they're not doing (regression testing), what they're neglecting (their customers and the bug reports we sent to them) and what they have to learn (Test Driven Development) .

As an IBM system engineer, I have worked for a while with Adobe as a partner about 20-25 years ago. At this time, this name (Adobe) was synonymous with high quality, reactivity and good customer support. Well, times are a changin'...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 20, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

If I were forced to guess at where the roots of some of the recent problems might lie, I'd say they're not in the testing, but in the design phase.  There are a lot of issues that seemingly would have been avoided with design review by someone who actually USES Photoshop.  Maybe even a good checklist would help, with line items such as "Have you considered what your design change means to actions?  Scripting?", for example.

It All of it. Bad design, poor design walk through, lack of regression testing, poor testing of new code and features.  And of course having to meet deadline all contribute their share.  

If Adobe did quality regression testing they would have discovered they made a bad design change.  A design changes that provide global options where a user can change a couple of Photoshop operation from how they operate in prior versions of Photoshop is not a good idea.  When set Photoshop is no longer backwards compatible for it may not works the same default way.  May yes may is the right word for the new code doesn't always work. Regression testing would have caught that the design change was a bad idea.  Unit testing would have shown that code Adobe added did not always work when the option was set to change Photoshop's default operation under some conditions Photoshop still would work the old default way.

So now you have a Photoshop that is not only not backward compatible it has a bug in the new added incompatible option. 

The good news is if you leave the options set the way Adobe default them.  Photoshop default operation is set to operate the way Photoshop operated in Photoshop version prior to CS4 and all is good.  So if you do not use either of the two bad options all will work.  This fact allow Adobe to ignore the problem they claim defer the problem.

Dealing with Adobe support an ordeal. An exercise in futility as soon as you think progress is being made Adobe stops communicating with you.  So the wait some time and try again.  Someone Like Jeff will get back to you and writ he will try to help then will either drop out or write back it out of his control.  A year may go buy any then you may get a e-mail from a Adobe Programmer stating he has the task of fixing the bug.  When he look into it a bit he e-mails you stating he sees this and that.  When you write back that this and that have the following problems.  Adobe reverts back to is default behavior of silence and ignoring you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

But it's not very hard for a developer to understand what they're not doing (regression testing)

By the way, I'm wishing good luck to the CC subscribers : they'll have to work permanently with beta software. Adobe didn't give any information about what their new distribution model implies about testing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Greg Bohn

Greg Bohn wrote:

What part of the "cloud model" do you believe will result in higher quality? They just suffered though a protracted failure of cloud 'sync' so that doesn't seem to build confidence...

At face value, it sounds like they claim they will be delivering changes on an even shorter schedule than before...

I'm thinking the possibility to miss a release date in order to work out unexpected problems could allow the team to say, "we need a few more months to get it right", then actually do so.  Call me an optimist.

The negativity in the forum lately is running a bit high.  Not to say Photoshop is perfect but I'm really not seeing problems in the product to justify the negativity.  When it comes down to making the images I need, I'm doing so quite effectively with Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel....I think the negativity has something to do with the fact that a lot of us have lost all confidence and respect for Adobe....

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel.... here is how people are looking at Adobe out in the real world.... http://vimeo.com/66594939

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 20, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to Hatteras Photo

That's beautiful. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to Hatteras Photo

Well-done, and thank you for posting the link.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 12:43 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Noel Carboni wrote:

The negativity in the forum lately is running a bit high.  Not to say Photoshop is perfect but I'm really not seeing problems in the product to justify the negativity.  When it comes down to making the images I need, I'm doing so quite effectively with Photoshop.

You said it : "making the images you need". We all use PS in our own way. There are bugs that you'll never see and there are bugs that will never hit me. So I can understand that many people are satisfied with the product.

Actually, the problem is not the quality of the product itself (as a former developer I know that bug-free applications do not exist). Beside their unacceptable new marketing policy, the problem is how Adobe react to the issues that the users report. For example, I cannot accept the idea that a bug that is obviously easy to fix and that has been reported years ago still be present in the latest version of the product. This is merely provocative.

Negativity originates in disrespect to those who have contributed to the success of this company. Like too many other companies nowadays, they have more respect to their shareholders than to their customers. They are slowly forgetting that a company without customers is worth nothing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to Hatteras Photo

Hatteras Photo wrote:

Noel.... here is how people are looking at Adobe out in the real world.... http://vimeo.com/66594939

That was presented beautifully.  But all the stunning art in the world may fail to touch the hearts of the businessmen making the decisions.

Not to detract from the subject, but that music reminded me of an amazing video that won a competition I co-judged a few years back...

http://vimeo.com/24253126

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Fantastic, beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for posting that link.

The soundtrack sounds like Mike Oldfield meets Kitaro, and was enjoyable, as well.

As a very long-time Ps user (from the first day that version 2.5 hit the PC), I have enjoyed my journey, and both profitably and immensely. I now have CS 2 (refrain from any uninstall due to server issues, that we all know too well), CS 5, 5.5 and 6. That might well be the "end of the line" for me, but I hesitate to say "never."

I will likely reinstall CS 5.5, for some special things, and just be done - fading away into Adobe obscurity. Besides, it's probably time to turn the reins over to the younger folk, as I have been around from the NNTP days.

Still, thanks, and hope to see similar, when I travel to OZ in July.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points