• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of Tables/Create Template

New Here ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited several functional specification documents.  There really were no templates - just some styles which I've modified. 

There are five files in each "book."/document  1) Front 2) TOC 3) List of Tables (LOT) 4) List of Figures (LOF) 5) Text

I need to update the TOC, LOT and LOF.  I'm starting with the LOF which has grown from 10 to 26.  I'm just using a basic Figure #: Title ... Page Number format in Arial 12 point which I essentially modified manually.  There is a paragraph style for the title and for the line.  That's it. 

When I "update" the LOF, I of course, only get the unformatted title and page number output.  So, instead of reformatting the whole thing manually, I need to know if there is a way to update the original LOF or if I have to create a template of some kind, which forgive me, but I have no idea how to do that and then apply it to the automated output. 

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any document can be a template for other documents. You use the File > Import > Formats to select the desired features that you want to import into any other document. Open both the old and new LOF files, and import the Paragraph (& Character) formats from the old one into the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, that didn't help (yet).  It may have imported the paragraph styles (which I see in the Paragraph Tab drop-down) but I still don't have a formatted TOF.

Do I have to still manually input tabs and apply the paragraph tags, etc. every time?  Or is there an easier way?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing the styles, you need to update the book to get an updated TOF.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now feel sufficiently stupid ... update the book?  I don't know what that means. 

There is no update key like there is in Word.  Therefore, my understanding from the tutorials, help pages etc that I have to create a new TOC, LOF or LOT each time. 

So I started with LOF.  How does it get formatted?  When it inserts the list of figures, there are no figure numbers, no tabs, no formatting, etc. It just has the figure names a few spaces and the page number.  See below (though that's not the font).

Connector Pin Out 7

Auxiliary 24 V dc Input Requirement Specifications 7

Wetting Voltage 7

I2C Bus Addresses 8

PIO Maps, Bank A 10

PIO Maps, Bank B 12

PIO Maps, Bank C 12

DC/AC Converter Phases 16

FPGA Registers 24

Blink Diagnostic Codes 33

Global Startup Diagnostics 34

1-Wire® Bus Commands 40

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed you were working with a book, in which case the command is Edit > Update Book when the book file is selected.

For a single document, the command is Edit > Update References; however, this command does not update the LOF because a single document does not have an LOF to update. For a single document, you create the LOF each time you update the document.

To get tabs in the LOF entries, you need to add them in the corresponding reference page. For details, see the User Guide for your version of FrameMaker.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***Disclaimer: I sell books, I teach classes*****

You'll need to insert the tab character on the Reference page for each of your generated docs, and add the corresponding tab stop to each paragraph format.

Forgive me if this isn't correct, but it sounds like you're being asked to do a number of things in FrameMaker that you've not had to do before...

Although the forums are a great place to get specific answers, it appears you would like to know how books work and how to modify existing generated documents (and their formats).

You might consider picking up one or more reference books, including FrameMaker 11 Classroom in a Book (pretty entry-level stuff tho...) and my book, Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11.

With your need to format generated docs, I'd humbly suggest my book is the better reference for you. There are entire chapters on things like setting up book files and setting up generated files like LOT and LOF.

If you expect to be in charge of the formatting of large Fm projects, you might also consider an Fm training class (live online or in person). There are many Fm trainers active here (yeah, me too...) or you can find a list of certified folks (yeah, including me) at partners.adobe.com.

Finally, if this is truly the only thing you need, consider investing in an hour or so with someone online to get this fixed and teach you to maintain it.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
[personal information deleted by host]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You also have to make certain that the tag names for the LOF entries are identical (FM is case-sensitive) between the file that you import your formats from and the file that you just creaet the list of figures for. So if the figures use a paratag of FIgure, then in the LOF, the corresponding tag will be FigureLOF. However, if your new file uses a paratag called Fig, then in the LOF it will create a FigLOF tag. When you then import the formats FM will add what isn't there and overwrite identically named ones.

FYI, any discussion pertaining to the creation and formatting of a TOC (Table of Contents) also applies to any of FM's generated lists. There are a series of videos showing FM vs Word features, so you might want to have a look at this one on TOCs:

Session (2) Book building, hyperlinks, tables & more in FrameMaker 11  (the TOC stuff starts at about 41min) You'll need to login using your AdobeID to see these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines