• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I stop the incessant ads for Flash Player Pro?

May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to the current version of Flash Player on Windows 7 with IE 10. I am not a developer, so Professional tools do not appear to be what I need. However, I keep getting popups saying that I need Flash Player Pro. They don't seem to be coming from Adobe; in fact I can't find any identifying information on the notice. I continually ignore these requests/demands, but they don't go away. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Flash Player Pro" is definitely not an Adobe Product, and I strongly suspect it is malware.

Where do you get these pop-ups?  Can you post a screenshot of such a pop-up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get these when I open a link from just about anywhere. It doesn’t happen every time, but always when I am looking to find more information about something or open up something.

Here is the window that pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend running a malware scanner (such as malwarebytes.org) on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I get this:

Flash Player #1.png

This is totally wrong because I have verified that I have the most current version of Flash Player..

Then this is the image that pops up

Flash Player #2.png

Message was edited by: thomps492

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this website is trying to trick you into installing software purporting to be from Adobe.  I can assure you that this is not our software. 

Can you give me the URL that this is occurring at?  I'd like to forward this to our legal team.  Please ignore all further recommendations to install "Flash Player Pro".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected. What url are you referring to? This error comes up in many of my web interactions -- lots of different links. If you are looking for the full url that is at the top of the screen print, I can get you that the next time this occurs.

Do you have any suggestions how to get rid of this prompt? I have been ignoring it every time, but I'm not interested in doing that at least daily for the rest of my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The URL at the top of your screenshot would be great.  Have you tried running a malware scan on your system (see my link above).  This shouldn't be happening during normal browsing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the url that I clipped from the top of the screen: http://cdn.openappmedia.com/html/pu/common.html?ait=Ad%20Info&u=http%3A%2F%2F114695url.directdisplay...

I ran the malware scan on my system -- the free download. It seemed to clean up / fix a large number of things. However, the error occurred again this evening. Any more suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I would keep running the malware scanner until it's come up clean.  Make sure to reboot your system between attempts.

I've forwarded the Flash Player Pro information along to the appropriate team at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased the scanner so I could keep running it. It comes up clean and I've rebooted. But the ad keeps coming up. If the investigation team learns anything about how to get rid of it, I would appreciate feedback. It is a royal pain!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

This is the exact same issue that I posted about yesterday, to 'How can I stop messages (from "http://cdn.openappmedia.com") re: upgrade to Flash Player Pro?' (before I saw this thread).

Here is how I finally stopped the ability of this apparent phishing attempt to redirect me to the link shown above in this post (I'm using Internet Explorer 10):

1. From the tab containing the offending website (that is the one to which you are *taken*, not the one you were taken from), click on Tools | Internet Options.
  2. From the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Security tab.
  3. Click on the Restricted Sites option.
  4. Add the offending website to the list of Restricted Sites using the Sites button. (Note: I had to try this several times before it "stuck" - you may need to close and reopen Internet Explorer, and perhaps even reboot your computer. I'm also suspicious that the ability to do this was being interfered with by the website / malware.)

By the way, if you run the (not-very-smart) experiment of removing the site from the Restricted Sites list, and do some more web surfing, the phishing attempts will resume, only this time with non-Adobe bait. I know, I tried it. 😉

I hope this helps folks find ways to stop this insidious annoyance.  And I feel bad for Adobe, who is an innocent bystander (along with many others), because of the attempts by the phishers to get folks to click on stuff because of some ruse that could appear to be legitimate if you're not paying close attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the warning that I get before the popup below.

This is confusing because my Flash Player is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to post the screenshot via the forums.

How do I capture and post a screenshot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines