Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Kuler App Going to be Rereleased on Android?

May 9, 2013 8:01 PM

Back in December of 2012 Adobe discontinued a bunch of touch apps in favor of only keeping Photoshop Touch and Adobe Ideas. One of the touch apps sacrificed was Kuler on Android. Now, at Adobe MAX, it is announced the Kuler app is coming to iOS. Will we see it again on Android?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to Zakkana

We want to ensure that any app we release provides an optimal experience for customers on that platform, so initially we are focusing on the iPhone version of Kuler. We know that there are many Android phone owners who may find value in this app and we will evaluate Android and other platforms for future releases.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Zakkana

Zakkana,

Sorry for the delay.  While the iOS app and the discontinued Android app do have similar capabilities, they are actually quite a bit different.  We have found that people use tablets and mobile phones very differently. So, we created the iPhone app with a different focus in mind--which translated to different features, UI, and interactions. 

We have also found the tasks most people wanted to accomplish with Kuler, on a tablet device, are very similar to the tasks people undertake with the Kuler website.  So, we've invested a lot of time and effort into updating the site to embrace the latest web standards (also announced at MAX).  And, it should work really well on Android and iOS tablets.  We look forward to getting these updates in the hands of users to hear what they think. 

We understand there are many Android phone users who may find an app like the Kuler iPhone app useful and we'll monitor demand for that over time. 

I hope this is helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Zakkana

Zakkana,

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  I hear you loud and clear.  And, I'll make sure the team get's this feedback and that they consider your comments when evaluating Kuler for Android phones.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to Zakkana

I have worked as a graphic designer for many years.

Own a Nexus7 and Galaxy S4 and would love to use Kuler on these devices as well.

Tx

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 2:56 AM   in reply to Zakkana

I'd also love to see a proper kuler app for android phone - appreciate with the various Android devices it's not quite as universal as the iPhone; but I'd lover to use this app on my phone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Zakkana

[Soabox Session]

Adobe listen up!

I am a PC user and have been using Adobe products for over 15 years (long before they were bundled) and when the Creative Cloud came to be I was super excited with its potential for making my entire workflow cohesive and streamlined, so I became a CC user and love it (seriously understated). Although you have and still look to be improving the desktop experience for both Mac and PC users, with very positive effects so keep it up, you have really failed to approach the mobile market as strategically.

Think about it. Over the years it was apparently always clear to you that both PC and Mac creatives needed to be able to use your products and you made it so, which made your market share grow by leaps and bounds, but for some reason you are taking an IOS first response to appraoching the mobile market and its had a negative effect on your consumers view of you. Luckily your consumers are more like fans and we take on faith that you listen, so we get on our soap boxes (note these very same posts) and shout about our needs and wants and typically you come through to meet or exceed what we are asking for. Thanks we appreciate it immensly!

It is widely known that it costs more money to entice new consumers than it does to maintain your user base, but when you are creating a costly marketing nightmare with this approach. Especially when you compare the cost of winning over hearts and minds after they are angry versus spending the time and money to develop for both IOS and Android given their market share in respect to the creative community. Also if you continue this approach then its assured that Android users will always be complaining and with mobile technology growning exponentially faster than the desktop tech ever did it would behoove you to reconsider your approach and make it so all of your users both IOS and Android creatives can maximize the Adobe vision for the connected creatives.

So in summation spend the $ now to get two teams working cohesively to meet your creatives connected goal and stop making us wste time on complaining and getting to create and being creative. We will all be better for it.

Rob

[/Soapbox Session]

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to robbaumgardner

Rob, thank you for the thoughful post and feedback.  I'm very happy to see you getting on the soapbox--because it means you really care. 

I'll pass your feedback on to my team (Kuler team). 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Zakkana

I too would love to have an Android version of the Kuler app.  Come on Adobe, you can do it. 

"Evaluating and monitoring demand" is 'business speak' avoidance of a real answer.  Either 'Yes' or 'No' will suffice.  Abobe has been beaten up over the Creative Cloud software subscription model, but at least with CC they took a definite stand.

So, to misquote Meatloaf, "Is it yes or no"?

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Zakkana

Yeah. I want this BIG time! Kuler. Android. Shouldn't be much of a stretch for Adobe. Unless you've made a deal with the devi . . . ahem, I mean, of course, Apple. If so, please remnd them that exclusivity does not breed innovation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to arte358

Haha! What are you talking about. The example of deep 'cooperation' with quadra says everything

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to Dave E

I have to chime in and support the other Kuler requests as well. I purchased ALL of the Adobe apps on Android at 9.99 each only to have almost all of them discontinued when I needed them the most. Kuler was one of the most helpful apps I used.

To see this available on IOS and not on Android is a slap in the face and I am verry irritated by this. Especially since I already paid my 10 bucks for the original app. I think at a MINIMUM it should not have been pulled completely.

It is somewhat frustrating to be an Android user and having to take a back seat to IOS especially when Android has marketshare globally.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but after seeing the Android apps pulled and then to see Kuler on IOS and (so far) not returning to Android, I almost feel like Apple had a hand in this decision.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to arte358

I think to me it is more that most devs who work for Adobe have an iPhone (which was probally given to them through Adobe) and that is why iOS choice. As soon as Adobe start pushing Android devices to there employees there will be more  development to Android app. It was the same way of Facebook, just they relised that the growing amount of Android users was nothing to be ingnored.

This "Evaluating and monitoring demand" is complete rubish, they have the money and the man power, they are just not intrested at the momement invest in Android, but if they did say that this would piss off a lot of customers. There is a right and wrong way of marketing. Keep them hoping is one of those right ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 10:44 PM   in reply to Dave E

But what about us users on Android who already bought the $10 touch apps when they first came out on Android.  When I go to the app store my touch apps that I already bought are not there now.  Did I get a refund?  Man, this stinks.  Us Android users were the first to support the touch apps and you bail on us for IOS.  Booo

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to Dave E

Hello.  I was interested on purchasing a new android phone.  Two things were kind of holding me back.  One is that there is no kuler app (anymore), and there is no ideas app.  PLEASE at least bring back the kuler app for android, and could you bring a ideas app to android, too?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Zakkana

Hear! Hear! I am voting for Kuler on Android!

We have used Adob products for around 14+ years on the Windows OS platform.  We are also heavy Android users (Smartphones, Tablet PC's).

Please develop and present to us Kuler on Android.

Thank you in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to TheAdobers

I am glad to see I'm not alone in being more than just a little upset that Adobe developers decide that continuing to provide Kuler, and Touch apps, for Android devices isn't worth their time. I, too, don't own an iPad and will never own one. I don't like Apple products so you are in essence abandoning everyone who chooses to use Android devices. I too spent $10 for all the Touch apps last year and less than a year later Adobe announces that they are being tanked. If that's the case, Adobe should refund our money since we had no say or control over this decision. I could go on and on but will hold out hope that Adobe will see that their users should be considered over what the developers think is important. Case in point is the features that were removed from Kuler because someone at Adobe thought they were unimportant and now what are you doing????? You're having to take time to readd them and give us the spin that you are doing something great by saying "look what we've done. We're adding back what we took away."

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Zakkana

This comment about Adobe Kuler extension for Google Chrome

Hi there!

I think if there is a version of Adobe Kuler for Google Chrome, it would be great!

This extension will have some Kuler features and libraries; 1. Color Picker (Eye Dropper) 2. Color Libraries (Libraries already i have and picked colors) 3. Show current page scheme.(maybe) -I thought these features for now-

I will be able to pick any color on any website or any photo with this extension. Or i will be able to use color pickers on a web page like Adobe Kuler iOS app to creating schemes. Then this color will sync my Kuler library. Than i will be able to use them on Illustrator or others. And the colors which is already have my libraries, i will be able to see at extension panel in Chrome. For example while i editing ProSite on Behance i can copy my favorite color's hex code and paste to ProSite's color changing panel. Otherwise i must go to Kuler site or i must open my logo on Illustrator and copy hex code and jump back to chrome to use it.

There is some extensions on Google Chrome Web Store for pick colors but also i don't trust them and they're already unsuccessful.

Thank you!

Best Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to Dave E

Hi Dave,

Please also pass the message to the Kuler team that webdesigners would love to use kuler inside of Muse.

This integration in design will make kuler so much useful for me.

Already love the Illustrator integration - and being able to do the same straight to my web pallete (even with help to adapt to rgb web colors) would be really neat.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to Zakkana

This would be a very welcome addition. Please make it happen Adobe, I feel very underappreciated as an Android user.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to Stu Wilkie

Although many voices have already chimed in here, I feel obligated to take up my own soapbox.

I was one of many faithful who watched MAX live, eager to see the direction Adobe is taking with their products. I was excited about everything at the event, but incredibly frustrated with the lack of mobile Android app support (or even a mention of future support). I've been a CC subscriber since the day of MAX, and 100% behind the company.

I have both an Android phone and 7" tablet, and I would have paid for the whole suite of apps if they were available. As is, Photoshop Touch for tablets is great and all, but Ideas for tablet and Kuler for phone are what I really need most. It's almost ridiculous that at this point a major, forward thinking company would still ignore a mobile OS which according to IDC, now comprises 79.3% of the smartphone market share (http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413). I can't see how only fully supporting 13.2% of a market is wise business practice.

I'm very glad you guys are listening, but after months of waiting, us Android users are desperate for a more definitive answer from the Adobe mobile app teams. The Edge team has been doing a great job of supporting Android, and we still have hopes for support from the rest of Adobe; But as of right now, I for one am getting pretty restless.

[steps off of soapbox]

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Dave E

It has been a couple months. Can you give a clear status update? Is the Kuler team working on an android version? Is it still underconsideration? Is it something that you would like to do but it is just you have other proirities?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to floortylekyle

Kuler on Android is defnitely under consideration.  We're looking into what it would require to build an app for Android phones (not considering the tablet at this point).  The only hang-up right now is the many competing priorities.  So, I can't say for sure yet.  But, I'm hoping we will be able to get started sooner rather than later.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to Dave E

A long time ago I was at an Adobe presentation featuring David Warner, in the time when Illustrator was up to ver 5-ish on Mac and languishing on 3 point something for Windows. He said that a Windows update was "under consideration" but not a priority since there are not so many Windows users out there. "By the way" he said "how many Windows users do we have here?" and asked for a show of hands. He was visibly surprised to see about 80% of the room with hands up. "Oh... really...?" But of course Adobe is much more aware of its users nowadays...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Zakkana

I definitely also want it on android? If I am not mistaken Samsung (android) is starting to take over as the phone to have in the first case. Iphone is one brand/make... Do you see a top car brand just making cars for males, or just people that is from Asia etc. I think your approach is flawed.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 9:14 AM   in reply to Zakkana

I'd like to see kuler on android.  I'm annoyed that we are not able to use the device of our choice to run this.  I refuse to be dictated to as to who's hardware I need to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 3:00 PM   in reply to Zakkana

For what it is worth count me in too. It would be great to get it back on Android. Latest figures are that Android users are 81% of the market (IDC). It's amazing a company would ignore that many of its users. The thought that "all designers use Apple" is old fashioned these days. Come on Adobe, keep up with your client base.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 5:34 PM   in reply to Zakkana

I'd love to be updated as to where we are with Android support.  Android was the dominant mobile platform when the app was pulled and the fact remains the same today.  Hope to see it soon!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points