Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word 2013 files into existing projects in RH10

May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching all over help forums trying to figure out how to use Office 2013 with RH10 and the closest I've gotten is the following discussion about generating Help Documentation : http://forums.adobe.com/message/5043919#5043919

However, generating documentation isn't my main concern at the moment.  I'm trying to import Word Documents into my project but everytime I attempt to do this I get an error that states: "The Import Word Document Wizard cannot locate a supported version of Microsoft Word. Please install Microsoft Word 2000 or newer."  I can avoid this by converting to PDF documents, but that's not my ideal solution at this time.

My office uses 2013, so I would prefer not to downgrade to 2010.  Is there any way to avoid downgrading or would it be best to stick with using PDFs instead?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to try is saving the Word document to be compatible with an earlier version of Word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried that and still no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! I cannot test until Monday when I have access to a machine with Word 2013. However my guess is I will get the same error as Rh is likely checking the version of Word first.

The machine has both Word 2010 and Word 2013 installed and I expect that when Word 2013 is the last version used I will get the error and when Word 2010 is the last version used it will work OK.

Your only solution may be a dual install. When doing things with Rh that involve Word, you run Word 2010 first. It will go through a little configuration routine as it will when you next run Word 2013 but it's no big deal.

I will post back next week.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fault found!

I ran Word 2013 first and then imported a DOCX file with no trouble. The machine does have Word 2010 on it. When generating printed documentation, Word 2010 would have to be the last run version but maybe for importing it only has to be there.

Either you have hit the problem that we have seen with earlier versions of Rh or this is related to where your normal template resides. Please check with your IT people that it is on your local drive and not on a network drive.

Is anyone else watching this thread able to import on a machine with Word 2013 only installed?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking some more, it would be help to know what happens when you do try to generate Printed Documentation. It will prove a point for me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as Kelseyrf. I get past initial screen allowing to name the document. Two consecutive screens will come up asking about loading CSS settings/FrameMaker templates. The second screen called "Content Settings" asks about converting TOC, Index & Glossary. Defaults are chosen (unchecked) and then the error: "The Import Word Document Wizard cannot locate a supported version of Microsoft Word. Please install Microsoft Word 2000 or newer." I have Word 2013 and RoboHelp 10 (trial) installed. I don't have any other version of Word installed.

After getting past the error alert box, I'm left with the basic RH structure with system generated folders, etc. At Peter's recommendation, I decided to generate "Printed Documentation" using RH 10 example files. Got the same exact error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Print there is a workaround. Right click the layout and click Properties. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree.  Pete, I've got the same issue with Office 2013: link and import no functionato

wait hold on

update

first error goes away on second attempt at IMPORTING

LINKING however will still not work with Word 2013

Installing office word 2000 to see if that is still compatible with RH 10

Note:  I am almost always LINKING now instead of IMPORTING due to a variety of other author "issues"

Update to Update

Importing got passed a few screens then aborted so no it dont work either and asks for word 2000 or greater so here goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed a trial version of Robohelp 10 on a laptop with windows VIsta and Word 2007  The import features worked seamlessly and I was able to generate printed documentation also. I requested my work consider purchasing Robohelp since it is touted as working well with Word, Captivate and Sharepoint.  These are tools we are using and excited at Rh potential to create with these tools.  The content files I planned to use for the Rh Project are managed on Sharepoint and need to be imported from Word 2013.  As Kelseyrf discussed - these files not accessible via RH import or link feature. PDF files will import. Like the previous writer Rh does not recognize that Word 2013 is installed.  Also working in an Office 365 environment. Our IT staff installed the patch mentioned, but it did not help.  I'm running out of time to learn how to use Robohelp and complete my project on time. We hoped to benefit from the Rh feature allowing for easy updating when files are frequently revised.   It seems there is not an option other than to step away from Word 2013 and ask to have my computer rolled back to a Word 2010 version.  Is this correct? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See reply 4. Importing worked on a machine with 2013 and 2010. Would expect linking to work too on machine with both but unable to test right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Yes, I read your reply #4 which gives me hope. I’ll ask our IT shop to load 2010 and give that a try tomorrow. I wondered if there were any other comments floating around that I missed. It seems as if this is the solution until Adobe provides a fix for Word 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience it works if you have both 2010 and 2013 installed. You can then also import 2013 documents.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 8 with Microsoft Word 2013 and just upgraded to Robohelp 10. I am having the same problem. I cannot generate a Word Doc or pdf from the Single Source Layouts ( I receive the error that a supported version does not exist...). I can create a pdf for review, but the document has some problems. Some images with conditional build tags print when they are not supposed to and the Related Topics box prints on each page, even though I unchecked "include expanding and drop down text".

Unfortunately I don't have access to an older version of Office. Is there any other solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2013 Jul 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF for Review and Printed Documentation are two separate functions.

If PDF for Review is not working with Word 2013, there is no known workaround.

For Printed Documentation, you must use the Properties workaround. I doubt that Word 2013 is the cause of your print content problems. Are your tags applied to the TOC or the topic? That is a frequent cause of confusion. Related Topics and Expanding and DropDown Text are different things. Tag the button with a CBT such as Not Print and exclude the buttons that way.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

I am using RoboHelp 10 for HTML. I right clicked on Printed Documentation & selected properties, and still could not print. I receive this error:

The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.

When I click continue, I get the message "A supported version of Microsoft Word does not exist..."

As I said, I am running Office 2013, & I'm not convinced that I have that many list items. My documentation is about 380 pages. Is there any other method of printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The part of the error message referring to lists is an old one that is falsely displaying because you don't have a supported version. That can be ignored.

Based on another post, did you try again?

If not, there's not much we can do as the solution is not supported by Adobe. If you can also install Word 2010 and run that prior to generating printed documentation, that would work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem.  I have only Office 2013 (version 15) on my system and I don't want to install an older version of Office just so I can import Word documents into RH.

I found a workaround for this problem that involves tweaking the registry.  When RH performs an import from MSWord, it scans the CurrentUser and LocalMachine registry hives looking for the InstallRoot key for the installed version of MSWord.  (I found this by using the tool Process Monitor from Microsoft SystemInternals- it showed all the registry keys that were being read)   RH10 starts with version 14 (Word 2010) and works backwards down to version 9 (Word 2000 I think).  I have Word 2013 (version 15) installed and thus don't have the registry key that RH is looking for to do the import.

The workaround is to add an "InstallRoot" registry key to one of the versions of MSWord that RH scans, that points to the Word 2013 path.  I located "InstallRoot" registry key for Word 2013. InstallRoot contains a string value named "Path" with the value of the install path for Office 15.  I then created an InstallRoot key under the Office 14, Word registry section and added the "Path" item with the value of my Office 15 installation. 

I found the Office 15 (2013) Word InstallRoot key here: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\InstallRoot

I copied the InstallRoot key here: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\InstallRoot

***A WORD OF CAUTION.  MANUALLY UPDATING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS TO YOUR PC.  YOU SHOULD NOT MODIFY THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN CAUSE YOUR PC TO CRASH, BECOME UNSTABLE OR NOT BOOTABLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS AWESOME.

Seeing as you appear to be someone who knows what they are doing, I have a question:  Have you tried using Dropdown hotspots in your help files?  If you have contact me off Adobe at imagineimage at comcast dot net so we can discuss my firms problems with this feature, in prep of making Adobe aware of its clunkiness to see if they can fix it.

Thanks in advance and I'll post back if your suggestion doesn't work and here's why I said that: great if we can get RH to see Office 2013 HOWEVER, is that enough?  I mean, doesn't RH have potentially other issues with 2013 over previous versions?  I'm thinking just fixing the pointer may not be enough to actually make it work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could offer you some help, but I am brand new to RH.  I just started looking into using it for our documentation and immediately ran into the snag of not being able to import from MS Word 2013.  I know enough about software development and the registry to figure out what RH was trying to do and how to work around the issue.  Beyond that, RH is all new to me.

As for other issues with RH and Word 2013… I’m speculating here, but I’d be surprised if there were any major issues.  The RH import function appears to use the MSWord engine to read the document content, styles, etc. during the import, so the document can be converted.  I would be surprised if there was a significant difference between versions of MSWord with regard to that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoa if you are new to rh and importing word docs you better keep my email; ive benn using rh and word since they were created 

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp