• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you create responsive sites with Adobe Muse?

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a design portfolio for myself and would like to make it a responsive website (when you resize the browser the website resizes as well). 

I looked online for answers but to no avail. If Muse does have these capabilities, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

UPDATED October 5, 2015 - RESPONSIVE ANNOUNCED

Today we are unveiling a major milestone – responsive design is coming to Adobe Muse! The capabilities we’re introducing are completely free-form and make it easy for any designer to approach and conquer responsive web design. Best of all, you won’t get boxed-in with restrictive templates or write any code. Learn more at http://blogs.adobe.com/muse/2015/10/05/responsive-design-in-muse/‌or muse.adobe.com‌.

Updated August 4, 2014: A few additions to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 265 Replies 265
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Adobe Muse currently does not support Responsive layout.

It has already been logged as a feature request : http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/1993

I would suggest you to add your vote and valuable comments to the post.

Regards,

Sachin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your link doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this link is broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designed www.loosechippings.org which I'm quite pleased with but don't want to go through the hassle of designing alternative layouts for phones etc. However, the site, like most desktop sites, is really difficult to browse on a phone. So the ability to convert the desktop layout to responsive with a simple export function would be a vast improvement and make Muse a top web design tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LooselyChippedI've looked at your site and studied the code. The idea that you can take any design in Muse and make it responsive is mistaken. This is the issue at the heart of ignoring the code. Yes, you can make <div>s and <section>s move and appear where you want them, but that ignores the underlying concepts behind "responsive" design and "semantic" design.

A good design melds the HTML structure and your CSS to make the site adapt or respond to the specific demands of each mobile device. When I build my code I have to contend with not only the demands of my customer's design needs and the content itself, but also the "meaning" of that content. A well-designed site is not simply one that "looks" good. It should also allow people with disabilities to use it as effectively as someone who has none.

Muse allows you to build a site without ever knowing or understanding what is happening in the code. The ability to make your design "pixel-perfect" obviates the ability to build semantic structures in the first place. It's not simply a matter of moving a <div> from one place to another and changing its width.

So, you can have a program that allows you to build pretty sites without touching the code, or you can have a program that gives you the tools to build good code and style in a pleasing way. I have yet to see any program that will allow you to do both, and do both effectively.

I started as a "print" designer. I knew nothing about code and didn't really want to learn. But over the years using various programs that "hid" the code and those issues, I've learned that you can't avoid it. I still don't write code by hand, but I don't shirk the responsibility. I use Muse to mockup my designs and get customer approvals. Then, we rebuild the site using other tools, like Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATED October 5, 2015 - RESPONSIVE ANNOUNCED

Today we are unveiling a major milestone – responsive design is coming to Adobe Muse! The capabilities we’re introducing are completely free-form and make it easy for any designer to approach and conquer responsive web design. Best of all, you won’t get boxed-in with restrictive templates or write any code. Learn more at http://blogs.adobe.com/muse/2015/10/05/responsive-design-in-muse/‌or muse.adobe.com‌.

Updated August 4, 2014: A few additions to the list of features that respond to resizing of the browser window:

4) Full screen slideshows

5) 100% width slideshow hero images

6) 100% width Adobe Edge Animate animations (.oam files)

7) Some third-party widgets <https://creative.adobe.com/addons?pp=MUSE>

Original Post May 2013

Muse does not implement "Responsive Layout" as defined by a hand coder (which means using one HTML file and one set of images for multiple layout variations that are driven from multiple CSS definitions usually triggered by media queries).

However, Muse does provide a few features for creating a web page design that responds to some degree to resizing of the browser window:

1) Browser Fill Images set to Scale to Fill or Scale to Fit (generally with the page fill and stroke set to none, so the browser fill is the background everywhere)

2) 100% Browser width objects (which can contain background images set to Scale to Fill, Scale to Fit, Center, etc. and which can include text frames)

3) Pinned items, which maintain a specific location offset from one or two edges of the browser window

You may want to look through the sites at the Muse Site-Of-The-Day to get a feel for the spectrum of webpage designs Muse is capable of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zak,

i don't understand this explanation ?

and example please ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Zak is saying is that it is not yet possible natively in Muse. But he suggested some faux-responsive layout technique that has been integrated in Muse. Even at that they have their limitations too. Like the browser fill images he referred to does not support 100% height. (Please note)

I hope that is clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a 100% reflow animation into muse? to make it somewhat responsive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak,

Can you tell us when the 'responsive'-Muse-update will be here? As we have seen at adobe MAX.

Thnx.

Gr

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I also think that the lack of opportunities responsive to Adobe Muse is its great disadvantage. Instead, we were forced to do as many as three different sites under each of the devices! I was very angry, especially when I was doing a template for Adobe Muse Market, have to spend 3 times as much time ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree with eugenezubov. The adaptive solution to mobile was not a direction for Muse.(The team just wanted to give us a temporary solution to ease the request-tensions and the negative publicity it will give Muse)  In a tablet version, the contents of a desktop version of a site would often be maintained on that medium, and that will be hell of a work to redo! I'm working on a site now and am finding it difficult delivering on schedule. It's just like doing the site all over again.

Nevertheless, Muse future is bright,  if the Muse team can place priority into Muse-BC 'marriage', then non-BC features later. I believe that will help in finding a better workflow and arriving at a perfect solution (BC already supports responsive design/Unlimited list templates, etc )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am really glad I saw this thread! I was ready to jump in and learn Muse because it looks like it fits my kind of design process -- but if there isn't a capability for adaptive/responsive designs, it looks like not only am I designing three sites -- I am also updating three sites!

Maybe I better learn wordpress instead...at least there are free responsive templates from their community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bzart you might check out Artisteer 4. It creates responisive templates for Wordpress and other CMS like Joomla or Droopal. Its basically a fast and easy css generator that steamlines the process for a designer. I often will generate a layout then edit the files in CC. http://www.artisteer.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to understand how Adobe works. As a long, long, long time user of their products I have extensive knowledge of how it goes. See Adobe always makes sure the first 3 or 4 versions of a product are completely useless. The whole time pushing "full releases" that dont deserve "beta" titles, and claiming it will be good one day. Then after several years of frustration, they finally just listen to the users and release a version that works well. But 6 months later the product is immediately behind the times because it took 6 years to realize people actually want to use the most current technology.

So in short, to answer your question. No, it does not do very simple things that have been around for years.

This coming from a 19yr (and $36,000) veteren of Adobe Video products.
I use them, I'm good at them, I don't have to like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse now has a limited ability to create separate layouts for phones and tablets. This feature was just added to the latest version of Muse CC on November 12, 2013.

While this allows you to build custom layouts, it still doesn't make the program fully responsive. Many designers want to create specific layouts for multiple devices by using multiple media queries. At this time you're only able to build one for phones and one for tablets. This doesn't even allow you control over the orientation of the device (landscape or portrait).

But stay tuned. I'm sure Adobe has more secrets up their sleeves and will be providing more responsive capabilities in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't Muse just Reflow without the responsive piece?  Why would I choose to use Muse when I can use Reflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't reflow just for 'mock ups' ? It doesn't create production ready HTML and as far as I know shouldn't be used for live sites .. really Muse and reflow need to merge into one app that is really useful, instead of two almost useful ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflow and Muse are two totally different products aimed at two totally different markets.

Muse is aimed at visual designers and print designers. It is a one-stop shop, a dead-end street. The code is machine written and you can't really hand it off to a developer. So, it's really not a development platform. Adobe may add extensions to it and other features, like shopping carts and blogging engines, but today its limited.

Reflow is designed for building responsive components. It's geared toward coders and web designers. It is still under development. So, you really can't draw too many conclusions from it yet. Eventually, I think it will either be a standalone product or rolled into another product, like Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started looking at muse, I have a web background but work at a design agency where the designers have limited web skills, I don't think muse is particularly good at building full websites, but I was thinking of suggesting it for building eshot landing pages, so the designers can knock out one off pages.

Do you think this is a good use for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do most of my work in Dreamweaver. It has some visual design capabilities, but not as much as Muse. Muse is nice if you want a few pages and that's it and don't ever want to see the code. It's basically a front end for Business Catalyst and has some very cool features, like slide shows, accordions and menus. Many of those items would take days to hand-code.

But it is not building one page for desktop, tablet and phone, it's building three separate pages. Not the best practice. It's not a web design tool as much as a "webpage" design tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So....

Muse is the 'finished' product, results in unusable code, and does not allow responsive design?

Reflow also results in unusable code, but does allow for wireframing/comping a responsive experience?

I'm not sure I see the point of either if the code is unusable for handoff to developers.  I guess Reflow could be used to wireframe a responsive layout for demonstration / signoff purposes, but then what's the point if it can't output usable markup and CSS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP SENTIND ME THIS GARBAGE. I DID NOT SUBSCRIBE.

STOP SENDING IT NOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines