Skip navigation
Eumerin
Currently Being Moderated

HTML Help 1.4 - Where?

Feb 7, 2007 12:13 PM

During the RoboHelp install, a message box popped up informing me that I would need to get HTML Help 1.4 from the MSDN website. So after the install was completed, I went to the MSDN website and looked for HTML Help 1.4. And I found a file that seemed to be the correct one. The page title side 1.4, and there was nothing to indicate otherwise.

It was only after the file was downloaded and the install process started that I learned that what I had actually downloaded was version 1.3. And oddly enough, my computer apparently came with 1.31 pre-installed. And now the RoboHelp Tutorial appears to be crashing because of HTML Help (there's an error message about the HTML Help Executeable that pops up just before the tutorial window crashes to the desktop).

So where do I find 1.4?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2007 12:33 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Welcome to the forum.

I have not known RoboHelp do that before. I assume this is RH6 you are installing.

I think this link is what you want but I find it difficult to believe that message as RoboHelp normally installs what you need from that download.

http://tinyurl.com/3nznp

Has anyone else seen this during an install?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 12:58 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    I think I would proceed using RH and see if I encountered any issues. I somehow don't think you will.

Meantime, I believe Adobe are keeping an eye on the forums post the new release so hopefully someone there can comment.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 1:00 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Sorry, just re-read and see it is giving you problems. I'll see if I can find anything else and hopefully Adobe will pick this one up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 1:08 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Did you install using your logon and did that have admin rights attached?

Try uninstalling using the same logon as used for installing, even if that was yours, and then install again. Do you get the same error?

Also did it show where it was installing HTML Help?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 2:09 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Hi all

Perhaps fellow Microsoft MVP Rob Chandler's site will help here.

Click here to view the site

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2007 1:33 AM   in reply to Eumerin
    I'm sorry but I have nothing else to suggest. Can I ask you to install RH6 to another machine to see if that also gives this warning? If it does and Adobe haven't put in an appearance here, I will contact them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2007 11:53 AM   in reply to Eumerin
    Just running back I asked about whose login was used to install RH and whether that had admin rights? You replied you have admin rights but that isn't quite the same thing. It is important that login was used for installation, rather than an IT persons. I don't think that is the issue here but want to be 100% sure.

Next question is about the new machine. Is it by any chance running Vista? Whatever system is used, how do IT set it up? From the various CDs or by some ohter means? Do you have a PC at home that you could use the CD on just to try it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2007 1:29 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Interesting, I just bought a Dell laptop and I know another Adobe Community Expert has done the same but neither of us had this problem when installing RH6. The only difference is in both cases we had X5 on first.

Probably the best thing is to wait for Adobe first. BTW, I am not suggesting you do anything illegal or outside company policy. If the company is happy, you are allowed to install RH on a second PC provided both are for the same person and not in simultaneous use.

Is your office PC now too far set up to consider a reinstall to get it back to its delivered status? Just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2007 1:31 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    Also, has anything other than basics such as Microsoft Office been installed?

Was your virus checker disabled at the time RH was installed? Adobe make the point, like many others, that typically they won't cause a problem but it is possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2007 12:39 PM   in reply to Eumerin
    I wouldn't like to blame anyone here. Yours is the only report of this issue so it does seem odd that no one else has hit it with the same build you are installing. I have a Dell machine too so I wouldn't want to blame them. It's easy to blame Microsoft but you have to admit their 1.4 link is downloading a 1.3 file.

Let's hope it all goes smoothly from hereon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2007 7:21 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    I'll jump in on this one and share that I'm seeing the same thing. It's not a rights issue, not an AV issue.

I'm on Windows XP SP2, pretty much fresh out of the box. I have done this on a machine with Office 03 and without with the same results. Most of my testing is done on virtual machines but I get the same message on our standard XP SP2 image.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2007 7:32 AM   in reply to Eumerin
    Rather than installing on a machine which has been built using an image, are you able to install to a machine built by using CDs? As RH can be installed on a second PC, could you install it on your home PC? (Deactivate it afterwards)

Being outside your corporate environment would give us a clue as to whether or not that is part of the issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points