• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Crashing While Culling

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched over to Lightroom 5 last night, and am trying to go through the current rather large amount of photos I need to edit and after about 50-100 photos LR crashes, with no error messages or anything. Windows just says its stopped working and starts trying to find a solution. I have tried reinstalling twice, and running as admin. Nothing seems to be working.

I really want to use LR5 as it seems faster on this older machine. Any help would rock.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Thank you all who reported the issue and have volunteered to test out the bug fix. Adobe has posted a note on how to apply the hotfix. Please check out http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-5-crashes-editing-images.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is also crashing randomly and frequently. I tried posting this on the photoshop.com site, but new accounts are unable to be created there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was instructed to post the issue to Photoshop.com, and so I did.

Here's my thread, if you guys want to give it some love.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_5_crashes_randomly_and_frequently?rf...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add that I'm having the same problem with random crashes during culling. I've noticed that it is more likely to crash when i'm going back and forth quickly between photos and changing a rating. However, i've tried recreating a crash with no luck.

Basic system specs:

win 7 64

i7 3770k

16gb ram

catalog hosted locally on a ssd

photos stored on a gigbyte NAS

During LR 5 beta I found a reproducable bug that if I adjusted development setting quickly upon loading a new photo (while loading was still displayed) LR would crash every time. That bug seems to have been fixed, but this current bug seems like it could be related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dan, I have the same specs.

Win 7 64

i7 3770

16GB ram

For me, it doesn't only happen during culling. It also happens during the normal editing process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I haven't started editing yet so I'll see what happens! I just installed lr5 yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add, since someone will ask, I've tried turing off auto writing to .xmp files and it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also installed LR5 yesterday.

I want to add as well, that I already tried resetting all my preferences. It reduced the frequency of the crashes, but they still disturb my editing flow in a serious way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you start with a fresh catalog or did you bring over a LR 4 catalog? I went through a nice 12hr+ conversion process so I didn't have to rebuild my 350k image catalog. I wonder if that could be causing issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please submit the crash logs to through the Adobe Crash Reporter, provide your email address if possible if we want to contact you to get more info. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonsaith: I can't find "CrashReporterApp.exe" (or any variant of it) as per this help file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I do this? I don't get a crash report dialog.  I tried to use these instructions to reset the crash reporter http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/changing-settings-crash-reporter.html

However, searching in my LR5 folder (and all of my computer) does not turn up CrashReporterApp.exe

I have registered my product, and am opted in for the adobe experience program if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can you find the Adobe Crash Reporter?  Windows does not find any installed program with that name, and I searched by file name, and found no .exe with those words either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I fogot to mention that the Adobe Crash Reporter will only show up on Mac. On Windows, it is automatically handled through WER (Windows Error Reporting) service. The crash info goes to Microsoft. It sounds like the crash happens on Windows?

For technical people, please try this MS tool to generate and attach the crash dmp file http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4060. That will give us more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there special things that you do when the crash happens? Is full screen mode involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full screen mode is not involved. If you follow this link I posted earlier you'll see more details. It's a random crash, caused by no specific action. Only after a time of ordinary editing will it crash. Maybe it'll happen when I'm switching from one photo to the next, or applying the clone tool, or using the new radial filter, or adjusting exposure.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_5_crashes_randomly_and_frequently?rf...

It doesn't ever seem to crash immediately after I open it, but only after a while. If I close and reopen LR periodically I can keep it from crashing, but this should not be a permanent workaround. Perhaps it is memory-related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"User Mode Process Dumper Version 8.1" is not compatible with Windows 7, the OS I am using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried User Mode Process Dumper Version 8.1 on my Windows 7 setup. It works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not doubting you, but W7 is not listed in the "supported operating systems," and it won't install on my system. The files extracted fine, but the actual installer doesn't work.

Edit: here's the error message when I run setup.exe.

"This User Mode Process Dumper driver does not support this OS version."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try running the installer in compatability mode? right click on the .exe -> properties and you'll have some options for compatability and admin settings. I haven't had the opportunity to try on my win 7 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I tried those things. However, I did find a folder on my machine located at

C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

and it contains 13 crashdumps for LR in .wer format.

I zipped them up and uploaded to my personal website.

http://andyhasak.com/other/lrcrashdumps/AppCrash_lightroom.zip

I'm assuming whoever is looking at the dumps knows how to handle .wer files, but I'm linking to an app that can view them, just in case.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. If you actually tried it and it does not install, then it is a different matter. In my case, once it unzipped the file. It puts files under C:\kktools\userdump8.1\.

Then I use explorer to navigate to the folder. In my case, I have Windows 7 64bit setup. So I navigate to the 'x64' subfolder. Under that, run the 'setup.exe' to install. Then go to a command prompt in a terminal.

>c:

>cd C:\kktools\userdump8.1\x64

>userdump.exe <PID>

where <PID> is the process ID of the Lightroom 5 process that just crashed. You can find out the pid from the Windows Task Manager under the Proceses tab. If the PID column is not showing, you need to go to View>Select Columns... make sure the PID (Process Identifier) is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the process I followed, all the way to running "setup.exe." This was when I encountered an error that said, "This User Mode Process Dumper driver does not support this OS version."

Perhaps this won't be an issue, though, since I found a native W7 folder for crashdumps, and uploaded them to my site in a .zip folder, linked above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A. How to create dump file on Windows 7 & Vista

1. Open "Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center" and do the following:

1) Click on "Maintenance"

2) On the bottom of dialog, Check for solutions to problem reports, click on "settings", and then select the option "Each time a problem occurs, ask me before checking for solutions"

2. When you encouter Lr crash, there will be a dialog popup with title of "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working". please leave the dialog there and

1) Right clicke on the empty of task bar, from context menu bring up the "Task Manager": (start task manager)

2) Click on the "Processes" tab in the Windows Task Manager dialog.

3) Find the "Lightroom.exe" entry in the column named "Image Name".

4) Right-click on this entry and select "Create Dump File". The full dump file will be created and a dialog will be displayed indicating where the dump file is located.

5) Then switch back to dialog "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working" , send report.

B. How to create mini dump file on Windows 7

1. From Start->Run, input "regedit" to start register table editor. navigate to the key of [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting], set the "ForceQueue" value to 1

2. Reboot machine, (logoff and logon is enough).

3. Open Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center

1) Click on "Mainteniance"

2) On the bottom of dialog, click on "settings", and then select the option "Each time a problem occurs, ask me before checking for solutions"

4. Recreate the crash.

Note, when the "ForceQueue" value is 1, the "Adobe Lightroom has stopped working" dialog will not appear at the time of the crash.

5. Open Control Panel, top right, search control panel, input "Problem report"

and do the following:

1) "view all problem reports" (Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Problem Reports)

2) Find the problem you are interested in and double-click on the entry.

3) At the bottom of the resulting window, click on "View a temporary copy of these files", get crash dump files.

4) Copy to clipboard, get all event information, paste in a plain text file.

5) send dump file and the plain text to us.

You can use any method from above A and B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the instructions. After LR crashed today, I managed to create a very large .dmp file (about 1.6GB uncompressed). It zipped to around 800MB and I uploaded it to my personal site.

http://andyhasak.com/other/lrcrashdumps/lightroom_DMP.zip

Edit: This was using Method A. I don't know of any other way to send dump files your way than through uploading to my site. Let me know if there is a better way.

Additionally, there is no "send report" option available on the "lightroom has stopped working" dialog window. Both options simply close it, while the first option "looks for solutions" first.

I can't seem to open the contents of the .dmp file in Notepad or Notepad++ to paste and save as plain text, since "the contents are too large for this editor" in both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines