• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC and Index not displaying in live Webhelp

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in a RH 10 project upgraded from a RH 9 project. When generating Webhelp, local output displays fine, but after compiling and uploading to our online app, the TOC and Index do not display - what I mean is that the tabs exist, you can click them, but they are empty. Search doesn't work either, plus the logo in the header doesn't appear, though it is in the images folder that is uploaded.

Some more details:

• I am outputing the project to a folder external to the root folder of the project. To clarify, the project is in a folder named 'Help', and the output is in a separate folder named '9.1 Help' at the same level of the Help folder. When I provide the output, I only provide the '9.1 Help folder'. Could this be causing the problem?
  • After looking into similar issues, I find that the HCC project file doesn't exist in my output folder, nor do the .glo, .hhk, etc. I suspect that this could be the problem. However, as far as I understand, it isn't possible to output the final .htm file for the project to the same folder that holds these files. You have to publish to a different output folder outside the root path.
  • I tried to change the default TOC and Index under Webhelp settings  > Content Categories > Content from default to the specific TOC in my project (it's the only TOC and Index, so this shouldn't cause mistaked, but I'm not sure if this change means anything).

I'd be glad to provide any other details if needed.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Hi there

Just a side note. The option for Mark of the Web is only going to apply when you view content from your local hard drive and you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser. If you are uploading this content to a server, the option may as well not exist. So it won't matter if it's enabled or not and would have no bearing on this situation.

Changing the option from DHTML shouldn't really affect it either.

@Colum - The package_xx.html files are certainly part of RoboHelp output. Af

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you are missing some of the output files. How are you getting the files into the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I check them in (using Perforce) and they're compiled with the application build. So you mean that something may be omitted during the compilation phase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds that way. Have you checked that:

1. The generated output looks OK before you check it into Perforce.

2. Perforce has all the output files.

If the answer to both these questions is Yes, it is time to suspect the application build process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The output does look OK on my machine, however, a collegue tried to open the main HTM file locally before compiling, and he had the same problem as in the final application, i.e., the TOC/index don't show.
  2. Yes, the folder in Perforce has the same files as the output folder.

I could check in the full project folder, minus the RH file itself, which is quite heavy, and have the application load the main HTM in the !SSL! folder. Would that be a possible solution? I'm not sure why the app would need the whole folder structure, but I suspect that it may be missing a file in the main project folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New discovery: If I compare the wxdata folders of the current and a previous, working version, all XML files seem to be missing from the current folder, except for synonym.xml and whfts.xml. The old folder includes package files (for example, package_25.xml) and 'wh' files, as shown in the attached screenshot. To clarify, I am now missing most of the XMLs in the screenshot.

I suppose that it wouldn't be correct to copy those over to the new folder, because RH is supposed to be generating them automatically. My questions are, if anybody knows:

• Do these files have anything to do with how the Webehlp is generated?
  • How do I get RH to generate them if it doesn't do so automatically?

Webhelp.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless your project references these package_xx.html files in some way I have no idea whart they are. They are certainly not part of the normal webhelp output. Try this:

1. Delete the contents of your output directory.

2. Ensure your WebHelp SSL has the "Republish all" option set in the final dialog.

3. Regenerate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these suggestions.

I tried Republish All, plus turning on Mark for the Web, which seems to have been turned off. After uploading and compiling, I still see the same - empty TOC/Index tabs and missing logo.

The only thing I haven't tried is switching from DHTML to Pure HTML, however, I'm not sure if this is even related.

I think it's definitly an issue to investigate with the development team to see if something is happening when the files are being compiled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what browsers you and your colleaques are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested on Explorer and Chrome; the same happens in both browsers in the live application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just a side note. The option for Mark of the Web is only going to apply when you view content from your local hard drive and you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser. If you are uploading this content to a server, the option may as well not exist. So it won't matter if it's enabled or not and would have no bearing on this situation.

Changing the option from DHTML shouldn't really affect it either.

@Colum - The package_xx.html files are certainly part of RoboHelp output. After you generate WebHelp, you should see them in the whxdata folder.

I think we have established that the files display fine immediately after generating, no? That would then suggest that the issue is entirely in the lap of perforce and what the development team is doing. (or, more accurately, NOT doing)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick! I hope you're right and that we'll find the culprit.

Regarding the package_xx files, the only suspicious thing I found was that in a previous RH project with the same content (more or less), these were outputting as .xml files, and in my case they were .js files. Could this have anything to do with the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I do suppose it's possible. But I don't think it's likely. Adobe simply changed the file naming conventions of those small chunks of data that make up the TOC and Index and Search. It's possible that your dev team may not know to include them in the build. And if that's the case, it would certainly explain why it works for you locally immediately after you generate but not after the dev team puts their hands on it.

Essentially you just need to show one of them that it works on your PC before you commit the files to source control, and ensure ALL the output files are actually being uploaded to Perforce.

I suppose one test would be to just grab a copy of all the files you are placing into Perforce and plop them on a machine. Try to open WebHelp. If it works, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that your developers are doing something wrong or not managing to get all the files. But if it fails for you, I'd suspect that you aren't managing to get all the content uploaded properly into Perforce.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eurika! One of the developers simply helped me upload the folder holding the output files to Perforce, and after compiling the last application build, the help is displayed perfectly.

So, I guess it really was a Perforce-related issue. Either something to do with how my workspace is configured as opposed to that developer's, or the fact that he didn't only override the files in the relevant folder, but also deleted the extra files that were probably there from previous versions (I didn't do this because I was afraid to lose data, etc., when in fact the old XMLs and JSs may have been the culprits).

If anyone encounters this problem, think the best practice is to clear the entire folder on Perforce and replace it with the last version of fresh output every time a live update is needed for the help.

Thanks for the help, @Column and Rick .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you hear that sound?

That was the sound of applause coming from Kansas City, MO!

Pleased ti see that you got it sorted! And thanks for posting back what the issue was. It may help someone down the road!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp