• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I work with ColdFusion documents?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um... just updated and went to open some ColdFusion files I normally work with but can't open them at all. They are grayed out. And there is no longer a ColdFusion option in the "New" panel. And in preferences you cannot select ColdFusion as the default document type.

Did I just miss where it is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Hi all,

Can you check out this document and let us know if you still need help?

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/open-coldfusion-dreamweaver-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that ColdFusion support is removed in Dreamweaver CC and later

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7874a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller wrote:

Seems that ColdFusion support is removed in Dreamweaver CC and later

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822 510a94ae8d65-7874a.html

lol seems they are doing their very best to alienate customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNBELIEVABLE!

What the hell is happening at Adobe?  I really wish there was a comprehensive alternative to Adobe at this point. I'm a long time CF developer and realy to throw in the towel.  Dreamweaver CC won't render any of my page in Live view either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know the same thing. So now you can't work CF pages AT ALL in DW CC. If you try and open a CF file in CC it won't and instead opens in DW CS6 (if still installed).

And Adobe Code CC doesn't support CF out of the box.

Adobe doesn't seem to provide an alternative at all. So yesterday I was able to use DW CS6 as my only editor for all my work. Now I can only basically use it for some CSS. Really great Adobe.

So it seems like the only alternative to moving away from Adobe products is to buy CF Builder. REALLY ADOBE? You will keep supporting an alternative server language like PHP but you kill .Net and YOUR OWN CF? What are you thinking.

Please come to your senses Adobe and add the CF support back in. Or add it as an extension like the HTML5 tags were for CS5.

Otherwise I, and many others, will have to start looking for alternatives and that might mean moving away from ColdFusion. If you guys aren't going to support the development of it across all your toolsets, why should we be loyal to the platform. Heck, I can get the web version of Visual Studio from MS and do more in .Net than DW CC can do with CF. That is just sad on so many levels.

What's your response Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that this points to a much bigger issue at Adobe, especially the Coldfusion team. There appears to be no coordination, planning, or transparency on some very large issues. Does anyone at Adobe actually use Coldfusion? It would seem not.

One of the supposed advantages of Coldfusion is the integration with Adobe technologies, but clearly this isn't something Adobe actually considers. It is absolutely unforgivable that they would release Dreamweaver with no CF support.

Wonder why so many people think the CF is a dead or dying platform? Hmm… wonder how that debate keeps re-appearing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just talked with the Adobe support live chat and on the phone. The live chat rep indicated "I understand your concern, but i would like to tell you that, this feature is a deprecated feature in Dreamweaver CC".

So apparently Adobe sees their CF support in their own products as a "feature" rather than a core underpinning.

And if they are depreciating it from their own products, can't imagine they will support the broader CF community much in the future. I mean now the only way to work with Adobe's own ColdFusion, is to get CF Builder (NOT part of the creative cloud subscription) which is another $300, another program to purchase and maintain, and another IDE to work in. Talk about broken workflow.

Looks like it's time to start looking at ... [almost choked] ... .Net

At least I know that if I move to .Net, Microsoft isn't going to "depreciate" .Net support in Visual Studio - Ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a live chat too, also told it was a depreciated feature so its clearly a scripted response.  Then I was told directly to buy CF Builder to continue developing in Coldfusion.  So clearly they want to force you to use that rather then DW.  Which sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StoatUK123, I would agree but if that is the case, why also remove .Net but keep PHP? With that logic, Adobe wants to move .Net developers to Microsoft Visual Studio.

And I don't see how that would work in general for designers/developers. It's not like I can create responsive code and work with it in CFBuilder. And I can't create the dynamic CF code in builder and use it in my responsive code in DW CC.

So now if you do responsive design and use Adobes OWN COLDFUSION LANGUAGE, you have no workflow in their new products. I guess you could keep DW CS6 around and create some stuff in there and go back and forth with DW CC and Reflow but that is just ugly and you'll never have the full picture of what you are coding since only some of the code will be supported in any given program you are using.

Adobe needs to fix this. Add support back for CF in DW CC or just dump CF and let us all move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. As a CF person from the Macromedia days I am shocked Adobe has removed CF support in DW CC. That is just plain stupid. I just begrudgingly moved to CC because it felt like I had no other option since everything is going CC and now you remove CF support (your own language) from your main development product? I don't want to have to buy a seperate product to work with CF and use DW CC to do my layout work. If support for CF doesn't get put back into then I will be dropping CC all together and moving to alternative options such as Gimp and Eclipse. VERY disappointed long time customer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy.  This is the end for us and Adobe ColdFusion.  We will be cancelling our Adobe subscriptions for our entire team. Really poor decision to alienate the very core of your development population.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, I'm not sure what is up with you these days. You've killed the visual designer in the latest version of FlashBuilder (4.7) that's available via Creative Cloud, and removed access to FB 4.6 as well to your CC customers. You've now killed a design tool for CF coders. You will be killing access to Fireworks sometime in the next 12 months for Creative Cloud customers. What's next? You've got a large, loyal base of developers that have worked with your software and languages for many years.  You're doing a great job of alientating that base over the last 12 months. My suggestion: just go ahead and get it over, instead of doing this slow bleed. Kill Flash. Kill CF. Just be done with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbliss0j6c - thanks but that did not work for me. Dreamweaver CC tells me I can't select it as an external editor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to post that here to see if you can get more help...?

http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/thread.cfm/threadid:64695

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can you check out this document and let us know if you still need help?

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/open-coldfusion-dreamweaver-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the answer. Good try Adobe. This link simply tells you how to enable the CF files to be opened in the editor. Okay, that is better than not being able to open them at all but almost all the useful functionality like live preview is gone.

Oh and the biggest issue with this article, still doesn't explain why the feature was completely removed, future guidance on CF development and no path forward with an Adobe tool to build Adobe ColdFusion applications with a Creative Cloud subscription.

And that doesn't even get into the issue regarding the inability to "CREATE" a CF document. So yeah I can edit some that are there now, but as a designer/developer who works with these files daily, ah how can I not create them? What's the solution there? Get another $300 CFBuilder product? Who's to say Adobe won't then kill that product?

Adobe what is your answer? Either support your own server language (if you didn't know what that is it is called ColdFusion) by adding full CF support back into DW and adding to other CC apps OR... just kill the product now and stop waisting all our time. You say that you currently have two new versions of CF in the wings (Splendor etc) but why would this community even worry about it if the tools to build great web sites and apps using CF are being ripped out of all CC apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue isn't opening CF files from the OS, but Dreamweaver CC being unable to show .cfm files in either Design or Live view. Just to be sure, I verified I've associated .cfm files as described…same issue. Dreamweaver can not display .cfm files.

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did the .cfm association the files opened on click within the files panel. The file itself opened the same as it always did on previous versions. I also installed the deprecated server behaviours as per a thread I found online somewhere. Even live view works. My main concern is not all of the above. The main concern is that Adobe just dropped their own product without notice or otherwise. That is scary. When will the announcement come that coldfusion is dead? This is by far without exception the only language that is easy to use and does absolutely everything required for almost any db type use. Yes, I know there are others but cf has so much functionality with really fast coding time. I don’t want to get into some battle with php programmers here. I actually invested money and time with coldfusion beginning over 12 years ago and never started using PHP just because it is “free” rather because it is a much code heavy language that can easily be “decoded” just by reading the code. Yes, it costs money….so does life but we pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFwiz- I'm curious how you did the .cfm association. When I do it (on a Mac) it refuses to allow it and opens CS6 in instead.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Preferences>File Types / Editors

Then in the box for extensions either select .cfm or click the + to add .cfm and then under editor select Dreamweaver and make primary or click the + to add Dreamweaver

That’s it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. I can't do that. It refuses to allow me to add DW CC as an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OSX btw.

Here are the steps I took to be able to edit .cfm in DW CC and have it display in Design and Live view.

1) Go here and install the extension http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21842/enable-server-behaviors-and-data-bindings-panel-support-for-dreamwea...

2) Preferences / File Types - Editors  Add .cfm in Extensions. Make sure .cfm is NOT in the list for "Open in code view"

I have noticed .cfm files are slow to open, may have something to do with the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. Might uninstall and re-install with these steps to see if that helps. Not sure what else is different!

Has anyone seen any official comment or feedback from Adobe on these issues, other than a couple of "tips"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as an official response the closest I've found are some comments on Raymond Camdens blog. http://www.raymondcamden.com/index.cfm/2013/6/18/Creative-Cloud-is-Here#comments

I absolutely do not care about server behaviors in DW but I do care about code completion and the ability to use the css and adaptive features on .cfm documents. I've read comments that Adobe intended DW to be for front end work and CFBuilder for backend. Problem with this is that it's common to have to go back to DW after adding CF to clean up and do further front end editing. To eliminate that capability is very short sighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines