• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I delete unnecessary anchor points ALL at ONCE? (pathfinder / offset path)

Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, I've been trying to search answers on this topic but it was of no use...

I'm currently having troubles from having too many anchor points after "image trace" or "offset path tool".

1.  I would like to know if there's a way of deleting useless points AT ONCE. (ex. multiple anchor points on a stait line, or duplicated points at one anchor point)

- I've tried "Simplify" but it changed the picture too much.

- I've tried "Remove redundant points" when using "image trace" but it came out as below:

multiple points.JPG

2. Sometimes pathfinder seems to make duplicated paths. Is there any way of knowing that there are duplicated paths OR eraseing duplicated paths at ONCE?

Thank-you for reading this msg, I hope to hear from anyone who has answers to my questions.

TOPICS
Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

You need to purchase VectorScribe from Astute Graphics if you do this a lot.

Otherwise, redraw using the pen tool as others have stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sholks,

I am afraid that what you see are the results of some necessary/unnecessary adaptations in automated processes.

Basically, you can only safely remove an Anchor Point between two segments that become one straight segment by it.

An automated removal of Anchor Points will therefore generally be quite unsafe in terms of keeping the shape of a path.

With regard to duplicate paths, you will also have to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, the software doesn't know didly about what you consider necessary or unnecessary. That's the primary falacy of cheezy workaround features like autotracing. If you want cleanly optimized paths, you need to draw them.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  Illustrator's "auto trace" is garbage. 

Cleanly optimizing paths by drawing them is an artform all by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

> I've tried "Simplify" but it changed the picture too much.

Which settings did you use in the Simplify dialog?

Also, can you provide a sample .ai file with some instructions about what you want to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Gold,

I am using CS6.

I have tried both angle and curve.

Both seems to increase points instead of decreasing them. Also just by applying simplify it makes unwanted paths by it self.

I would like to achieve a picture which has black outlines(same distance) distiguishing each colors on the picture. If you happen to know a better way of achieving this please do tell me

Thank-you all for trying to help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the object.
  2. Select the Smooth tool .
  3. Drag the tool along the length of the path segment you want to smooth out.
  4. Continue smoothing until the stroke or path is the desired smoothness.

Hey Sholks above show is one of my best-practice
Check wheather this is useful

Happy illustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you for the smooth tool solution. I haven't worked in Illustrator since in was version 2 yes that long ago before the programs were bundled even lol. I have to get up to speed on it again for work and you saved me from pulling my hair out Thank you, Thank you, Thank you  Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works excellent way  to meScreen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.39.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.39.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to purchase VectorScribe from Astute Graphics if you do this a lot.

Otherwise, redraw using the pen tool as others have stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DocPixel-BMW,

Thank-you for giving me a heads up on the new program! I think it will help me alot with decreasing anchor points I will give it a try later on. (Hopefully I might find something like image trace on that program too which might work better?)

Thank-you all for trying to help me   Enjoy illustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader of this "answered" topic may find this useful-

enter image description here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best answer so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could use:

Object > Path > Remove Anchor Points 

You will still have to select the points you want to delete though.

You can also assign a shortcut to this option.

Select multiple points and remove them with your shortcut without breaking a path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines