Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Big Black Screen

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am building a game and am pretty close to finishing, however, I'm running into an .ipa issue.

When I debug "On iOS Simulator" the app runs fine.
When I debug "On Device" the app runs fine.

But when I "Export Release Build...", install on the device and run it I get nothing but a black screen.

SO CLOSE!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly I would suggest that you double check you've got the correct certificates and provisioning profiles setup for release build if you're using different ones to the debug version.

If you've got that correct, then setup a launch image (even just a placemarker one) that your game loads at the beginning of the app so you can tell if it's something to do with your code or the application setup (if the launch screen disappears it's code related). More information about launch screens can be found here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d129907d2886-8000.html

If you've got a launch image setup and it disappears and still freezes after this, then compile a release build with detailed telemetry enabled so that you can see where your code might be hanging/crashing using Adobe Scout.

Another quick tip is that, if you're not using iTunes to add the release build to the device - then do use iTunes. It can sometimes provide information about why it doesn't work or can't be added. If it doesn't say anything and doesn't add the app to the device then you will know that there is something wrong with the application setup.

Other than that there isn't much more I can suggest without you explaining a little more, ie, how are you compiling, what does your app do at the beginning, what extensions do you have if any, which render mode are you using, etc.

Hope that helps,

O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the tips.  I'm going to give as much information as possible to see what could possibly be going wrong.

Remember that the game works fine when debugging directly on the device.

My steps for creating the .ipa:

My render mode is set to direct.

PROJECT>EXPORT RELEASE BUILD...

Project Name and Application settings I leave untouched.

Target Platforms [checked] Apple iOS

[radio button] Signed Packages for each target platform

[checked]  Enable detailed telemetry

I click "Next".

Under "Deployment"

[radio button] Export application with captive runtime

Under "Digital Signature" I have the certificate, password and provisioning profile all filled out.

Package Type

[radio button] Ad hoc package for limited distribution

Under Package Contents I have all of the assets checked. 

Under Native Extensions I leave alone. 

I click "Finish"

I have tried installing the app a couple different ways.  I drop it in to iTunes and I also have a Test Flight project set up for the app.  Both accept the ipa file.  Both install the app.  Both show the icon properly.  I have a launch image, however, when I touch to laung the app the graphic doesn't show up at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so just to clarify, you have a default image in the app directory which is displayed correctly when you launch the app in debug? Then the image disappears and your app starts?

In an exported release build the default image doesn't even show?

Do you get different results installing the app via testflight? In your testflight app permissions does your device's UDID show up in the permissions list?

Does a new session start in Adobe Scout when you launch the release build from the device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ollie Edge wrote:

Ok, so just to clarify, you have a default image in the app directory which is displayed correctly when you launch the app in debug? Then the image disappears and your app starts?

Yes.  The app runs exactly as it should.

In an exported release build the default image doesn't even show?

Correct. 

Do you get different results installing the app via testflight? In your testflight app permissions does your device's UDID show up in the permissions list?

Same results using testflight as when I go through iTunes.  As for permissions, everything looks fine.

Does a new session start in Adobe Scout when you launch the release build from the device?

Yes.  It shows a big jump in the beginning then it dies off.  Scout kind of shows the same information when running through debug, but naturally doesn't die off in the end.  It keeps logging information as I click around the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah great, so you can see the session in Adobe Scout, which rules out app settings being the problem in my books.

You're going to have to look through the process that your application goes through at the beginning, follow through frame-by-frame on both versions, so run a debug and release version and compare results in Scout. Maybe there is also debug code you've got hanging around somewhere which doesn't or does get fired in a different build type?

Capabilities.isDebugger anywhere in your code?

I'm 95% sure this is code related and nothing to do with app settings / build types.

If you want I'm also on testflight and I can take a peak for you on my scout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your help would be great!  Let me know your deets and I'll invite you in.

Also, I'm not using Capabilities.isDebugger anywhere in the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone with a similar issue.   When Flash Builder compiles an ipa file, it creates a folder named "bin-release-temp".  Though it creates this folder it doesn't alway place all of the assets in this folder.    When you Export Release Build, you should check off the box for "Keep bin-release-temp folder.  When that folder appers, be sure the folder structure within that folder has a copy of your assets folder.

****REMEMBER -- you will need to check this box every single time you eport your project.

Thanks, Ollie for jumping in and helping as much as you did.  You helped me off the side of a building.

CHEERS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines