• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relinking to Proxy files with a different extension (CC)

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the well-documented and discussed AVCHD bug present in CS6 and now in CC, I tend to transcode all of my AVCHD footage for editing.  If it's a multicam project, I like to use lower-res proxies so playback stays smooth. 

The problem I'm running into is that whenever I go to relink my media to the original files for export, Premiere's new Link Media dialogue doesn't allow me to search for file names without including the extension.  So instead of being able to look for "Clip_01" regardless of the extension, it's looking for "Clip_01.avi".  When the original file is called "Clip_01.MTS", this tends to be a problem. 

I can manually go to the "Clip_01.MTS" file and make it link to that, but then the rest of my media just stays linked to the files they were linked to in the first place.  This makes it impossible to relink multiple files with different extensions.  I literally have to go through each and every clip and manually "Replace Footage" with the original MTS file.  Which sucks. 

So there you have it.  Is there any way to get around this?  I know I can transcode to both an intermediate and a proxy with the same extension, but then I would just be eating up harddrive space.  Should this be a feature request?  I thought Adobe had this whole relinking thing figured out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced you're actually experiencing the AVCHD bug in CC.  Let's take a look at that and see if we can get it working for you.

Let's start with your hardware specs, and go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other compressed formats, such as MOV files, don't give me any playback issues.  But I'm open to whatever solutions you may have in mind.

Here are my hardware specs:

Intel Core2 Quad 9550 (Overclocked to 3.2Ghz)

Nvidia GTX 560 with 2GB video RAM (have done "the hack" to allow CUDA support)

16GB DDR3 System RAM

Hard Drives (all 7200RPM WD Caviar Black)

- 500 GB System/Programs

- 500 GB Media Cache

- 2 x 1000GB (Raid 0) Video Projects 

- 1000GB Storage

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p motherboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel Core2 Quad 9550 (Overclocked to 3.2Ghz)

Well, there's your problem.  You won't get buttery smooth performance with that relic.  It'll be even worse with multicam work.

You really do want an i7 3770K or an i7 3930K for this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think my CPU is the problem.  I do multicam work all the time on shorter MTS clips.  Up to four cameras with hardly ever any choppy playback.  Typically anything less than 20 minutes or so is fine.  It's only the longer clips that give me problems.  And the performance didn't improve with CC. 

On the other hand, I can take just-as-compressed footage in H.264(mov) and play longer multicam sequences just fine.  I only get the playback issues with AVCHD-compressed footage.

Regardless of whether this is actually the AVCHD bug or just some bottleneck in my system (which I firmly believe it is not), I'm still left with the task of re-linking footage with a different file extension.  Did Adobe only expect us to relink to footage with the same extension, or am I missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like we got off track here.  Is there really no way to batch re-link to media with a different extension?

Maybe someone from Adobe can chime in here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tested CC yet, but... What happens if you uncheck 'File Extension' while keeping 'Relink others automatically' checked in the 'Link Media' dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do this, it only links the first file with the version I'm trying to link to.  The rest of the files get linked back to the last location they were linked to (in this case, the proxy versions). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new relinking feature is designed to find the original files; it is not really intended to support a proxy workflow. That said, if the program cannot find the original files, it will look for others that match certain properties and ask if the ones you find are what you want to link to.

So for your workflow, try "hiding" the original clips from Premiere by either keeping them on an external drive that you turn off or by moving the folder. If you go the latter route, I believe you will get better results by moving the original folder up rather than down because the code is designed to drill down deeper from the last known location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I tried your suggestion of moving the original folder up a level to throw off the programmed behavior, and it was able to batch-relink to the alternate files I was pointing it to.  So this definitely does provide a workaround for relinking proxy files.

I can also see how the relink feature could be made to work with a proxy workflow by leaving the file extension off of the referenced file name.  So, for instance, instead of referencing "Clip001.avi", Premiere would search for "Clip001" with whatever extension it might have. 

It seems redundant to have a checkbox for "File Extension" under the search parameters when the referenced file name already includes the extension, and there is no existing option to not include it.

I'm sure there are plenty of other editors out there who would like to use proxy workflows on Premiere, and would welcome this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. AVCHD files corrupted by premiere and need to convert in other extensions, and relink proxy files. (Problems that didn't exist in Cs5).

Have you fixed the problem moving the original folder? It doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the original folder up a level and then relinked to another folder containing my proxy media.  You'll also want to make sure the "File Extension" box is unchecked and your file names are exactly the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVCHD files corrupted by premiere

What makes you think that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVCHD files shooted with Panasonic Lumix GH2 (hacked) worked well since Premiere Cs5. From Cs6 to CC editing creates orrible artifacts above the video, and everyone shooting with Gh2 is obliged in converting files in other formats. It's a big issue, a lot of forum talks about it and a lot of videomakers are asking to Adobe to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. excuse me for my poor english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the GH2 myself and have had no problems with my footage using either CS6 or CC7.

Are you talking about the 'rain' problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done some work with proxys in premiere cs5 when avchd would not play. Trick is to create the proxies with mpeg extension rather than avi. (I used media encoder). Then rename the extension of avchd clips to mpg. Premiere doesn'y mind avchd files ending with .mpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you rename the extensions in batch? (if yes what program did you use?) Or manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

batching changing filename extensions can be done in adobe bridge (select all files/ right click/batch rename/settings there) but I also use a freeware utility called rename. It's excellent.There are others which are equally good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the rain effect. I have it in every single project. I'm using Flowmotion hack. Anyway it's a random effect, one day you don't have it and the next one yes, it's very boring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Flowmotion hack.

Try Nick's Moon Trial 7.  It beats Flowmotion 2 in quality, and being an I-frame hack, doesn't seem to suffer from the 'rain'.

(By the way, PP isn't really 'corrupting' those clips, which would mean they were somehow changed by PP and are no longer playable anywhere.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it 100% stable as Flowmotion? I need it even for weddings, shootting almost 40 Gb per day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give it a test with your cards.  I'll be using it for my first wedding on Saturday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited on GH2 files and on Canon C100 files. It's the same junk. AVCHD is a pain. I have CC and I put my files in Media Encoder. I transcode the following way.

I batch convert everything to "FORMAT: QUICKTIME"

PRESET: CUSTOM (so choose 720p and then change                                                the VIDEO CODEC: I change to DNxHD (I work on a PC with Windows 7) Before someone chimes in with "get a new computer or buy a MAC" we use both, so that argument doesn't fly. So when I use a PC where ProRes is not available I do this.

OK back to the next step:     Under "CODEC SETTINGS" I choose

COLOR SPACE: 709 "NONE"

1080p/original frame rate  DNxHD 36 8 bit

Then it batch converts it all and I save it to a separate hard drive in my tower.

I use a hard drive dedicated to just putting my proxy footage in there for editing. When any computer whether it be your Mac Pro or PC tower tries to read the files all from the save drive it'll put more stress in one place making your editing a lagging nightmare. Spread it out and keep organized.

I then import my footage into Bins and name the Bin "blah blah proxy footage" Then I edit and the footage is buttery smooth. I have 16gb of ram and it's more than enough for this type of thing. Ok Here's where my issue comes in.

After I've added my cross dissolves and my color corrections, and I'm done rendering my footage, I've yet to figure out how to automatically relink everything to the original .mts files such that it'll be in the same place for each clip. Meaning if I click "replace with " and select any of the three options, it throws in all the .mts clips but assumes that it the clips all start from their recorded starting point rather than my in and out points.  So what I've had to do thus far with CC is go through each clip individually and look with my eye for the place where it lines up.  It's a lot of guess work and I use timecode and it takes FOREVER! I didn't have this problem in previous versions. I've attempted to delete the .mov footage to make everything go offline and reconnect to my .mts files and it still puts the wrong in and out points on each clip.  Needing to fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I hope this thread is still answered.

Your (Adobe) explanation and workflow is not working here!

I had a big project with .mts files. Then I transcoded them into .mxf and deleted the mts. So the folder and file structure is still the same, only the extensions changed.

I now can relink every file, file by file. I can not figure out how to do them all at once, folder by folder.

In the relink dialog box I uncheck "file extension" and i check "relink others automaticaly", but it only changes the first, selected, file.

My specs:

MacBook Pro late 2013

Premiere CC 2014

Please help!

Thanks a lot

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines