Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed to Generate WinHelp error message

May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to resolve this error message? The process seems to be hung up on processing the first RTF file.

Using RoboHelp9, WIndows XP, MS Office 2010.

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There aren't a lot of WinHelp users left these days so getting an answer here could prove difficult. Even more so when you consider you are stillon WinXP. However do you get the same error when geneating WinHelp from another RTF file. Try opening one of the sample projects and generating that. If that fails it may be worth looking at your macro level settings in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am able to generate a sample project.

My project consists of 8 word documents. It appears that RoboHelp fails on one or two of these documents. I tried adding each one individually to the project and re-compiling so I know which ones fail. They used to work fine, so I don't know how why they could have ten corrupted. I even tried to copy and paste the entire "bad" document into a new Word document (tried both .doc and .docx).

I don't see where I can change the macro properties for the document. In any case, since all of the docs have the same macro property (I assume) and most of the them do compile, that can't be the issue.

Any advice is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are able to generate WinHelp with some of the RTF files then the problem is not with Macro settings or your installation. It must be something in the one or two RTF files you are not able to compile. I'm afraid the only way to identify what exactly is to do some further detective work along the lines of what you have already done. It may help if it is possible to identify whether any changes have been made to these files. Take a copy of the RTF file, strip the changes out and see if you can generate WinHelp. If you can, add back in the change a bit at a time until it fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me in the past.  I don't know if this will work for you but it did for me.  Delete the problem RTF file.  When you reopen Robohelp it will automatically make a new RTF file.  Then I compiled and it was fine.

The other thing is if you dropped an image in to the document, not an image from the image file but a cut and paste image it gave me trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your tip. I deleted all the .RTF files and was able to recompile!

Alas, now I am not able to link the Help file to my Delphi executable - I keep getting "The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated Help file (129) error message".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I dig deep into my memory banks I believe this is caused by the old version of your WinHelp file still being accessed by the application. Ensure the application IS using the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp