Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with table bullet import from Word

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Normally, when importing from Word to Frame, I copy the required text into Notepad to remove all vestiges of Word formatting, then paste into Frame.

However, this time, for some reason I skipped this step when doing tables.

I have now ended up with table bullets that just will not behave as expected.

How do I remove this formatting?

The first row below contains the highlighted TableBullet styles. As you can see, the style somehow overlaps the first column. I'm guessing this is because it has come in from Word.

The second row contains the highlighted TableBody style. It is correct, contained solely within the one column.

temp.png

I have tried importing styles and other formats from the document itself (using Current in the Import Formats dialog), also tried importing from the template.

I have also tried deleting the style, creating temp styles, deleting the column, copying to Notepad and pasting, all to no avail.

All I really want to do is remove the rogue formatting. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks

Laura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, as soon as I post, I manage to solve it.

What I did was:

1. Copy the second column of each table.
  2. Paste the contents into Notepad.
  3. Delete the second column.
  4. Add a second column to replace the deleted one.
  5. Very carefully create a new TableBullet style (with a slightly different name from the previous one that wasn't working)
  6. Paste in the text from Notepad.
  7. Then did  a global update of all rogue styles to the correct one.

Hope this might help someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also adopt the old maker.ini tweak of placing TEXT at the beginning of the list of =

Then your Word to FM paste drops plain text & minimal Word formatting artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, can you tell me more about this? I didn't know of any maker.ini tweaks.

Where exactly do I place the word TEXT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you edit your maker.ini (there’s 2 – one in your profile & one in the Program Files folder) to find the line “ClipboardFormatsPriorities=”

You can change the order to read: ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF, DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT

Which pastes text from Word as text in FM (applying whatever paragraph tag that is present where you paste it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura,

You can also use FM's Paste Special (ctrl+shift+v) to tell FM to paste the contents as plain text.

FM will pop-up a dialogue window listing all of the various formats that it can paste the contents in, simply press "t" on the keyboard, the highlight will jump to the Text option and press Enter. Five keystrokes total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… or (on Windows) alt+E, s, u, Return. Does that count as five keystrokes or four? falls just a tad more comfortably under the fingers, perhaps, unless you're a better keyboarder than I am and don't have to make an effort to use the right-hand Ctrl <vbg>

A bonus I've just noticed – while preparing to rescue another document – is that alt+E, s, u also works in Word 2010 … with the satisfying warning Continue typing the menu key sequence from an earlier version of Office. Mind you, it puts a Notepad++ file into read-only; that really threw me, until I worked out what I'd done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still like my solution's Ctl-V combo ;>)

If you're a heavy Word to FM cutter/paster (as I was on one of my conversion projects), the maker.ini tweak was totally worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tweak sounds well worth it, but corporate policies [obvious comments suppressed …] mean the maker.ini on my PC was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be the OOB version.  alt+e, s, u is burnt into my motor-system by now; but I have recently added ctrl + shift + c / ctrl + shift + v for the despised Format painter when trying to impose order and consistency on other people's documents in Word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not mess around with the maker.ini that lives in your profile? It would override the settings in the “Program Files” area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

As Jeff says, the user-specific maker.ini file should always be available to the logged-in user on their own machine. In a Win7 system, this is (usually) located at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11

This maker.ini is always read by FM after the system default one, thus overriding any settings there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

I found the maker.ini file for my user profile (using Win 7 Professional 32-bit, FM10.0.2.419), but there is a significant difference between this maker.ini file and the one found under Program Files. The Clipboard Priorities option is not even listed.

Here is the full maker.ini contents under the Roaming/Adobe folder (removed directory and filenames for security purposes):

[Frame]

ProductInterface=FrameMaker

[DialogLayout]

MakerWin=3, -1, -1, -1, -1, 39, 0, 1462, 938

ConsoleWin=2, -32000, -32000, -1, -1, 920, 260, 1783, 959

TemplateBrowser=0, 20

Equation=0, 20

[Preferences]

AutoCollapseIconicPanels=Off

AutoShowHiddenPanels=On

HidePanelsOnClose=Off

OpenDocsAsTabs=On

HideSingleTabsInDocs=On

PreventDocTabbingWhenDragging=Off

OpenCompDocsAsTabs=On

ToolTipMode=Normal

UIBrightness=100

UseGrayScaleAppIcon=Off

UnresolvedCrossReferencesDialog=On

OpeningOldReleaseDocDialog=On

UnavailableFontsDialog=Off

MenuSet=Complete

Snap=Off

Gravity=Off

CheckoutOnOpen=On

UploadOnSave=On

CrossPlatformFileNaming=Windows

Encoding=2

Width=420

RememberPage=0

RememberFont=Courier

LastUsedWorkSpaceInUnStructuredMode=Authoring

BackupOnSave=Off

AutoSave=On 5

Zoom=25, 50, 100, 120, 150, 170, 200, 300, 500, 800

[Directories]

OpenDirOnStart=U:\<folders>\User Guide

[Spelling]

FindRepeatedWords=On

FindUnusualHyphenation=Off

FindUnusualCap=Off

IgnoreSingleCharWords=On

IgnoreAllCaps=On

FindStraightQuotes=On

FindExtraSpaces=On

IgnoreRomanNumerals=Off

IgnoreWordsWithDigits=On

FindTwoInARow=On !,.:;?

IgnoreWordsContaining=On .

FindSpaceBefore=On !%),.:;?]}\u00bb\u201d\u2019\u203a

FindSpaceAfter=On $([{\u00ab\u201c\u2018\u2039\u201a\u201e

[RecentlyVisitedFiles]

0=U:\<folders>\Body.fm

As you can see, there is a lot of missing options here that can be found in the maker.ini file under Program Files. I tried just copying/pasting the ClipboardPriorities string into my user profile maker.ini, closing FM, and then launching it again, but nothing has changed. Do I need to restart my computer after making changes to maker.ini? I haven't had to modify this in so long that I can't remember...plus I was using XP so maybe that made a difference?

This isn't a showstopper for me, but I would LOVE to make TEXT the first paste option instead of doing the Paste > Special. Although, your keyboard shortcut is definitely handy

Thanks,

Smitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need more detail about maker.ini files, search Google for terms like "maker.ini file differences in framemaker 10" without quotes.

It may already have been noted in this thread that the several maker.ini files in the Windows directories are either for settings that are for all users of this particular FM release on this computer, or for a specific user. If there are multiple FM releases installed on the same computer, after some ancient release, perhaps FM5, each one would have the global-level, and user-level maker.ini files.

(Yes, it's possible to install many different FM releases on one computer without their conflicting with each other. In the olden days, the license required folks who upgraded from earlier releases to quit using the earlier release after they've migrated their old work to to the new release, and are satisfied that the new release works properly. I think this restriction no longer applies. Perhaps someone more familiar with the End User License Agreement can opine on this.)

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Peter.

FM10 is the only version that has ever been installed on this system (no upgrade). Now that I think about it, I bet I have to update the maker.ini file as an admin (which I'm not on my system). I'll definitely do some more digging in my spare time (ha!) since I can still work just fine - it's more of a convenience thing.

Thanks again

-Smitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smitty,

This user-specific maker.ini contains only the user-specific (i.e. your) settings that are different from the general ones in the system-level maker.ini in the %FMHome% folder. Most of these entries are created by any changes that you make using the Preferences panel. However, there are quite a number of items that can be set in the maker.ini that have no equivalent in any of the GUI panels.

So,  if you want to have the paste priority put TEXT as the first option, simply add that line to your user-specific version.

For details of all of the maker.ini contents and in which sections items are placed in, please refer to the INI Reference manual found here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/ini/index.html

PDF: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/ini/framemaker_11_ini_reference.pdf

There's also a complementary/alternative detailed listing of the INI entries at Klaus Daube's site:

http://daube.ch/docu/fmaker68.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Thanks for the explanation.

I did paste the clipboard priorities line into my user-specific maker.ini. I made sure to close FM and launch it again after saving the maker.ini file, but the change did not take affect . Maybe I need to restart my computer in addition?

I'll tinker around with it this afternoon and see if I can get it to work (who wants to do work on a Friday afternoon anyway ).

Thanks again,

Smitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make certain that you paste into the [Preferences] section.

Also check the use of uppercase, spacing and commas carefully, you need a space after the comma.  Also, make certain that there isn't a comma at the end of the list.

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, UNICODE TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP

Restarting FM should be sufficient. No need to reboot the system (unless FM is plain ole tired and needs a massive kick...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I wasn't pasting it under Preferences - doh!

Thanks for helping me figure this out, Arnis.

Now what am I going to do all afternoon?

-Smitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now that's interesting! I may try a first cautious experiment (using information Arnis provided earlier) and see whether I can rescue esc, o, c, p from the new-fangled CMS mapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines