• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Transition (Cross Fade) Questions - Pre 11

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying to transition between two clips of background music on the soundtrack.  Both music selections are violin & guitar instrumentals, and I want essentially to do an audio “cross dissolve” transition to blend the  two musical pieces together.

I found the “Constant Gain” and “Constant Power” cross fades under Audio Transitions, however, I’m not sure what they do or if I’m using them corectly.  When I try to apply the effect to the junction of the two clips, it attaches to only one, and the Left Clip/Between Clip/Right Clip dialog is grayed out.  (I’ve trimmed both clips so there’s plenty of head and tail room  on both).

Questions:

1. What’s the proper way to apply the cross fade audio transitions?
  2. What’s the difference between Constant Gain and Constant Power?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Whichever sounds best to you.

2.  From PPro Help:

The Constant Gain crossfade changes audio at a constant rate in and out as it transitions between clips. This crossfade can sometimes sound abrupt.

The Constant Power crossfade creates a smooth, gradual transition, analogous to the dissolve transition between video clips. This crossfade decreases audio for the first clip slowly at first and then quickly toward the end of the transition. For the second clip, this crossfade increases audio quickly at first and then more slowly toward the end of the transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob

Its funny that Premier Elements Help doesn't address this, but good to know that PPro Help is available online and can be the back up.

I've been experimenting with the two cross fades and concludethat Constant Power is best for my situation.  I'm still puzzled by the "location" of the fade on the timeline.  It seems to be always on one clip or the other, and never in the middle.  However, in reviewing the PPro Help (and Adobe video), it shows it in the middle for PPro.  Regardless, it seems to work pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with the Audio Transitions, one can also Keyframe Volume, to accomplish about the same thing.

Depending on exactly what one wishes to have occur, the two Audio Clips can be placed on separate Audio Track, overlapped by the a bit, and then either Audio Transitions can be added, or Volume Keyframed, to have those two Clips "fade" into each other. That is usually not what most want, in most situations, but is another possibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Elements, but in Pro you can put it where you want it using the "Effects Control" window (panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug in the software. Read the thread "Premier Elements 11 - audio cross fade problem - can't center between clips."  The workaround is to close the pop-up box with the X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jammin109

For your convenience, the thread "Premiere Elements 11 - audio cross fade problem - Can't center between clips" can be found here at the link

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1198480?tstart=0

The workaround described by me there

close the pop-up box with the X.

worked for me and was confirmed by others in that thread.

I will be writing about Premiere Elements 11 audio transitions further and will post with additional information soon.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clover@New Story Media

The video tutorial that you point to is for Premiere Pro CS6 and not Premiere Elements 11 and has nothing to do with the audio transition placement alignment issue specific to Premiere Elements 11 audio transitions which are Crossfade/ Constant Gain and Constant Power. And, there is no Exponential Fade audio transition in Premiere Elements as is shown in the Premiere Pro CS6 video.

The following describes what I believe was the core issue that the originator of this thread ran into.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Audio Transitions Problem

Add on...my first impression is that this matter is finally resolved in Premiere Elements 14.

When to use the concept of Constant Gain versus Constant Power audio transition is another matter and some aspects of that were pointed to in post 1 of this 2013 thread. Even then from "Premiere Pro Help" for a Premiere Elements question. Good to share the common points between different products and acknowledge the differences between them so users will not go looking for audio transition Exponential Fade that does not exist in Premiere Elements.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines