• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Restore the Corresponding Audio (or video) to a Clip on the Timeline?

Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not sure how to phrase it for search:

This is a daily occurrence.  As I go along editing, I inevitably come upon some video clip (or audio clip) on my timeline that is missing it's original audio (or video) counterpart.  I've previously deleted the audio portion (or video) at some point earlier in the edit, when it made sense to do so.  Now, though, I change my mind, or I need to hear the audio to sync other clips, or just hear the audio for reference, etc.

How do I bring back the corresponding media?  I love the new "Join Through Edits" command in Premiere Pro CC, it seems that a companion feature would be something like "Restore Original Linked Audio / Video"

Match Frame seems close to what I need, but involves a few more steps than a right-click, or keyboard shortcut (maybe I don't properly understand how it works).  Does any command exist that would do what I'm needing?  I can't imagine I'm the only one who would need this function DAILY.

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Yes!  Simply select the clip- then hit "F" The "." and the audio will appear in the empty audio track below.  to automate this you could create a macro with "/" + "F" + "."

Good luck and happy video editing!

Yes!  Simply select the clip- hit "F" and the "."  It will give you the audio file very nicely!

If you want it completely automated follow what as said by eikonoklastes

Ann's method is very quick. It is literally three key presses to get your original audio back.

Prep work:

Remove all source patc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Nevermind I figured it out lol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ann.  I was afraid of that.  Feature request submitted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am randomly jumping into this old post here (I found this through a search). I am just learing Premiere Pro and so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong when following that article. After I selected my video and pressed F, the Match Frame optionin the Sequence menu is grayed out. Why would that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article says, "do one of the following", either press F or choose Sequence > Match Frame. Then just drag the frame from the source window to your timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK what do you do if this doesn't work!? All I get is a reproduction of the video clip, still no audio D:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind I figured it out lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only two steps.  F for match frame, then drag the audio down.  Boom, done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the same, I'd love a shortcut key to restore the missing audio or video back to it's counterpart.  Or, wouldn't it be cool if you could simply SHIFT drag the clip from the video track down to the audio track of your choice and let go?  Even if I'm alone in wanting this, I still want it. 

BTW, what is the originally intended use for "Match Frame"?  If it exists solely to restore missing audio or video back to the timeline, why call it "Match Frame"?  If the intention is to actually pull up the source clip in the monitor and match the frame under the current time indicator, then I think this is broken in CC.  Since it's a new, but related topic, I'll start a new thread to discuss the bug here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1243937

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wouldn't it be cool if you could simply SHIFT drag the clip from the video track down to the audio track of your choice and let go?

That would be cool.

Until you get it, though, it might be more efficient to move the portions you don't want to 'dead tracks' (video turned off, or audio muted), instead of deleting them.  That way they're easily restored by moving them back to a live track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! Helped me like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  Simply select the clip- then hit "F" The "." and the audio will appear in the empty audio track below.  to automate this you could create a macro with "/" + "F" + "."

Good luck and happy video editing!

Yes!  Simply select the clip- hit "F" and the "."  It will give you the audio file very nicely!

Ann's method is very quick. It is literally three key presses to get your original audio back.

Prep work:

Remove all source patching on all tracks except 1 empty audio track

The grind:

- Select the clip in the timeline

- Mark the clip with /

- Press F

- Press .

If you're macro-savvy, you can package all those steps into one key press. Even savvier, would be to enable Selection Follows Playhead, and then with one key press, restore all the audio on all clips in your sequence in about 10 seconds.

Here is a quick video demo of said macro in action. Everything happens in real time. The only editing done was to crop the top and bottom of the recording:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhyOTAuOwz3Hl-Mdkrmv42505YvG6g

If the video appears in low quality, click the gear icon and change to 1080p.

Prep work:

Remove all source patching on all tracks except 1 empty audio track

The grind:

- Select the clip in the timeline

- Mark the clip with /

- Press F

- Press .

If you're macro-savvy, you can package all those steps into one key press. Even savvier, would be to enable Selection Follows Playhead, and then with one key press, restore all the audio on all clips in your sequence in about 10 seconds.

Here is a quick video demo of said macro in action. Everything happens in real time. The only editing done was to crop the top and bottom of the recording:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhyOTAuOwz3Hl-Mdkrmv42505YvG6g

If the video appears in low quality, click the gear icon and change to 1080p.

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works if the clips are 100% speed, at least from what I can tell.  Does anyone know a way to do this with clips that are not running at 100%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my live!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work in Adobe Premiere Elements 2019. Anyone know how to do this in that product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your question in the Elements forum.

Premiere Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and say: this happens to me all the time too. It is the absolute worst when it happens by accident when setting up a Multicam sequence. You then have to go through and do this for every clip so it's pulling from the source properly! That being said "F" makes quick work of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines