• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suppressing single header in TOC

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to supresse single header in a TOC. E.g. repeating H1 (invisible) in 2nd file of book to display the correct running h/f in 2nd file (because of changing the file size). When I just repeat the header on the 1st page in the 2nd file, it appears as well again in the TOC. Other "solutions" in the forum for the running h/f didn't look to me as solutions.

My sysem: Win7-64, FM11 (unstructured).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Now I think I understand better; thanks. I've never run in to this problem, and now I stop to think about it I'm assuming – always risky! – that the value of the H/F variable is reset each time you start a chapter: in other words, no H2 will be displayed in the header/footer of chapter 2 until you've used an H2 in that chapter. In fact, I've just run a test and this does seem to be how the Running H/F variables behave.

…could also lead to the effect, that the running h/f displays H2 but not H1, b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at all sure I understand your exact situation, especially when you talk about a Table of Contents (ToC) and about running h/f.

A generated ToC derives its content from styles such as Heading 1. You can also pull content in to a header/footer with the H/F variables by using styles. (you know this already, but I'm thinking out loud in case I'm answering a different question)

So, the easiest way to keep content out of a ToC or a header/footer is to give it a new style name. An example from my books is that the headings for the ToC ("Contents") and the LoF ("Figures") use a style I've called :contents so that they don't show up in a ToC built from :h1, :h2 and :h3.

Explain again, patiently, if this answer is irrelevant or unhelpful.<g>

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.k. let's say the styles H1 and H2 are the headings which are used in the TOC and are used to display in the running h/f.

When there is a new file in the book, the running h/f doesn't display anything until the next style H1 resp. H2 appears. This could also lead to the effect, that the running h/f displays H2 but not H1, because the next H1 is some pages later. If I now repeat the last H1 (and/or) H2 on the 1st. page of the 2nd file (make it invisable with small and white characters), the running h/f does display the H1/H2. But in the TOC, the H1/H2 gets as well a second time displayed. If it's possible to suppress only the repeated H1/H2 on the 1st page on the 2nd file to be displayed in the TOC, then the running h/f problem could be solved.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I think I understand better; thanks. I've never run in to this problem, and now I stop to think about it I'm assuming – always risky! – that the value of the H/F variable is reset each time you start a chapter: in other words, no H2 will be displayed in the header/footer of chapter 2 until you've used an H2 in that chapter. In fact, I've just run a test and this does seem to be how the Running H/F variables behave.

…could also lead to the effect, that the running h/f displays H2 but not H1, because the next H1 is some pages later

Setting up the test reminds me that I myself use two lines in the header, one for H/F1 and another for H/F2. Are you seeing a problem because there is only one place on the page that displays either/both variables?

If I now repeat the last H1 (and/or) H2 on the 1st. page of the 2nd file (make it invisable with small and white characters …

Untested speculation: if you give this duplicate (which I'm not sure is the best approach) its own style, then you can reference that style in the header/footer but deliberately not include it style in the ToC.

Also, are you using an H/F definition with a list of styles? Example: I use separate styles :h2 for a normal level 2 heading and :h2_b for a level 2 heading with a page break. The H/F2 definition <$paratext[:h2,:h2_b]> then pulls in the nearest level 2 heading.

Any help?

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The repetition of heading (hidden with small, white font) works with the separate style as proposed (numbering e.g. S:<n>.<n> for H2_b) and in the running header with <$paratext[H2,H2_b].

Before I didn't know about that multi selection.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe more effective way to create truly invisible text, that can still be picked up by FM for running  h/f's or x-refs, is to create a custom colour (call i Invisible) then set that colour to be seen in VIew 6 and *invisible* in View 1 (View > Color > Views...). Then at the location that you need to insert the content, drop in an anchored frame that is outside the text frame. Within that anchored frame, place a text frame to hold your content. Enter the text and apply the alternate paratag as Niels indicates. Make certain that the Font > Color of this paratag is set to the Invisible colour.

Then when you need to see the "invisible" content, esc v 6 turns it on and esc v 1 turrns it off. This also works at the book level for all files in the book.

An "invisible" colour as set in the Color Views will never print or PDF, but FM still knows it's there and can reference it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the tip with the color views.
For the placement of the hidden text I'm using the side header. With that it's still uses the normal text flow but doesn't need any additional lines in the main part of the body page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines