• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inset anchor design ideas

Participant ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partly for more control of vertical white space, and partly for control with master page mapping, I've used a pairs of styles for certain types of content: FigureAnchor and FigureEnd, TableAnchor and TableEnd.

What about text insets? Any advantages to using InsetAnchor and InsetEnd?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We may not be aiming for the same thing, but while I use an :anchor style to hold table anchors and a range of :fig styles for figures – indented in a list, body text indent, page width – I quickly decided against trying to manage pairs of before/after styles. For the level of finesse I require, the table definition(s) handle the space after tables and the :figcap style (all my graphics have captions below) the space after graphics.

Text insets are a different challenge; trawl through the forum and you should be able to retrieve some useful information. I need to brush up on them myself for a new project; it's the phantom paragraph at the end of insets that bugs me most

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Niels,

Perhaps, but your reply adds value.

I hope to improve quality and control of the content.  If a single-tag approach supports those goals, then I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A word on text insets, and thank-you for raising the question :-} After this morning's research and testing, I'll be using a single style for insets the same way that I do for tables.

The problem I often ran into before, reported/posted by several people, was that using a text inset introduced an (infuriating, undeletable) extra paragraph after the inset. In the worst case, this picked up a heading format and introduced blank entries in the ToC. Altogether not good!

• One suggested answer is to make sure there is a non-breaking space, an en space or an em space between the insertion point – where the cursor is at the moment you go for File > Import file – and the end of the paragraph. I've had this work sometimes, but not always.
  • A second suggestion (from or reported by Error7103, so bound to be good) is to modify the style of the last paragraph of the inset: check the Paragraph Format group and set it to Run-In Head with no default punctuation. This works like a charm!
    It also explains, to my satisfaction, where the problem comes from: the paragraph where you insert the inset has (of course) a paragraph mark, and so does the last paragraph of the inset.

To retrieve the full thread, search for "Unremovable added paragraph entry in text frame".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Niels,

Thanks. I'll look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines