Firstly - with any file that is repeatedly crashing make a backup of it Immediately!
Try to remove corruption using the Export/Save to IDML link to how to here
When you've narrowed it down to a single page or multiple pages try to find out what is causing it to crash you can do this by:
Any suggestions, edits or other workflows for files that won't output via print or other method, or will not export using File>Export are thoroughly welcome.
Thanks for posting this Eugene.
An additional comment about "fixing" problem text:
I often have very good luck replacing text that is causing file crashes using InDesign Tagged Text, which will preserve the formatting. To export tagged text you must have some sort of active text cursor, either a selection, or just a flashing cursor in the story. With an active cursor InDesign Tagged Text will become an option in the "type" dropdown when you select File > Export...
If you have selected some text, only the selection will be exported. A flashing cursor with no text selected will export the entire story, even if it is threaded across many pages. You will have two options after choosing tagged text and pressing OK in the dialog, abbreviated or verbose, and it doesn't seem to matter which you choose, other than a small difference in the size of the text file that is saved. To use the tagged text file you place it, in the same way you would place a Word file or other text file, but ID will interpret the internal tagging and bring it in formatted.
I will often replace an entire story this way, but on occasion I've also found it works well to export either the entire story, or just a selection of a section I've identified as a problem, then place the tagged text file on the pasteboard. From there I will copy the text I need and paste into position replacing a problem paragraph or two. This seems to give an added layer of cleanup without losing the formatting.
I actually developed this technique a few years ago working on a file that was causing problems for Eugene, but I'm not sure he remembers.
Some good advice here too http://forums.adobe.com/message/5468426#5468426
Dov Isaacs wrote:
There are a number of issues that can cause the failure you experienced.
One is obviously some type of dodgy content. Peter and Eugene have given you pointers to how to track such an issue down.
However, it is possible that at least with the 32-bit versions of InDesign (CS6 and earlier), you are simply running out of address space for InDesign and its core technology components to complete the PDF export. I have personally experienced this problem with long and complex documents. (This has nothing to do with how much actual memory you have installed!) The workaround I found for exporting PDF from such long and/or complex documents is that after I am done editing, I save the file and close InDesign. I then restart InDesign and open the document. I immediately invoke the export function and don't attempt any other operations before the export finishes! Do not page through the document. That uses up valuable address space and memory used by internal components.
If that doesn't work, ascertain that you have enough work space on your disk. PDF export can use significant amounts of temp space. (Under Windows, make sure the disk volume that has the TEMP directory has plenty of spare capacity!)
Addition to FAQ
Recently had an InDesign Book fail to print or make a PDF.
I went through my own procedures to identify the problem - didn't find any reason for it to crash.
Create a New Book file.
Then import the files into the new book file.
Everything worked fine.
other ideas welcome
One other thing to be aware of when exporting an InDesign file: all parts of the file MUST be locally saved / available.
I have everything saved on my SkyDrive, and the export kept failing until I made all parts of the file (links, etc.) available offline. Once I did that, the file exported perfectly. I am not sure why this is an issue, as InDesign reported no errors in my project, until I had to export the design for approval. It was blind luck that I tried offline availability; no searches brought up that as an issue.
If you are still having issues, I hope this may help!