Skip navigation
ChrisRTA
Currently Being Moderated

Use Imported MP3 quality not available

Oct 27, 2006 11:31 AM

I am trying to avoid having flash recompress my MP3 audio when publishing. In the help menu, it says I should open the properties dialogue for the MP3 file in my library. Then I should select "MP3" from the dropdown menu. Then I should select "Use imported MP3 quality." However, when I select "MP3" from the dropdown menu, there is no use imported MP3 quality option. It only gives me compression options.

I have searched these forums and it looks like there are others having this problem, but no answer has been given. When I choose "view comments on livedocs" from the help menu, there is a comment that someone else is having this problem, but no solution offered from Adobe or anyone. If anyone has experience with this, or if there are any adobe support personnel that read these forums, I would really really appreciate a solution to this. Is there something my audio technician needs to know when he is creating MP3 files? Is there something else within flash that I need to address? Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2006 10:21 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA

ChrisRTA wrote:
    > I am trying to avoid having flash recompress my MP3 audio when publishing. In
    > the help menu, it says I should open the properties dialogue for the MP3 file
    > in my library. Then I should select "MP3" from the dropdown menu. Then I
    > should select "Use imported MP3 quality." However, when I select "MP3" from
    > the dropdown menu, there is no use imported MP3 quality option. It only gives
    > me compression options.

Use WAV format instead. You can give it MP3 compression upon export.

--
    Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
    If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
    </urami>

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2006 11:34 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA
    Hi,
    You can disable the compression of your published sound from the Audio setting in the Publish Setting menu as following:
    1- From the publish setting, open Audio Streaming or Audio Event setting dailog box
    2- Choose Disable compression from the Compression drop-down menu

Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2007 3:40 PM   in reply to rafiqelmansy
    I'm sorry, but neither of the provided solutions really work. I'm having the same problem as ChrisRTA -- the "Use Imported MP3 Quality' check box does not show up. I need this because my client demands that his MP3 sounds are not changed or re-compressed in any way.

'Disabling' compression for 'stream'] in publish settings still results in a lower [unacceptable] sound quality. I'm not sure why, but even playing with the different options in the Sound Properties window [like 'default', MP3, etc] it seems 'disabling' doesn't do anything. If I 'Disable' both Stream & Event, then the .swf publishes with no audio whatsover.

I've researched this issue on the web, and other people have had this problem. No solutions offered except someone suggested it might have something to do with how the MP3's have been created.

It would be nice if Adobe gave us some help on this. I've lost many hours trying to resolve.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2007 6:46 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA
    I just tried this and here's the mystery!

When I import MP3 sounds that were originally 48 kbps and 128kbps bitrate, the "Use Imported MP3 Quality" check box DOES appear!

When I import MP3 sounds that were originally 56, 160, 192 and 320 kbps bitrate, the "Use Imported MP3 Quality" did not appear.

I failed high school algebra, so I am unable to come up with an equation to solve this. But it seems that there must be some number which the bitrate must be a multiple of, in order for Flash to enable imported MP3 quality export.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2007 4:13 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA
    I too have very good quality mp3 sound and have been frustrated because Flash won't use the imported mp3 quality - same problem as Chris. All my sound is 44 kHz 16 bit mono, all recorded at the same time and edited by me in the same way.

So the divisible by 11kHz that Chris suggests doesn't work for me. However, I do have one sound event that sounds excellent in my movie - it's even more noticeable because it's in the middle of muddy, tinny, degraded sound events (as I said, all recorded and processed the same). Here's the difference. For the degraded sound files, Flash thinks they are large files when they are not; for example, Flash says the size of sound event 1 is 230.7 kb, where the actual file size on disc is 24 kb. This huge file size discrepency is true of the other 10 degraded sound events I looked at. In all these cases, Flash doesn't ever display the "use imported mp3 quality" option.

In the one case of excellent sound, Flash automatically displays the "use imported mp3 quality" and it says that the sound size is 17.3 kb. The file on disk is 20 kb.

It looks as though Flash doesn't recognize all the other sound files as mp3 (although on disk they are all mp3) and is decompressing them only to compress them again and do a terrible job. So what is the solution to this problem (I need excellent sound for my application and I paid recording fees so that it would be good) and why doesn't Adobe say something about this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2007 2:02 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA
    I'm replying to my previous reply and the problem is solved. It turned out that my audio was recorded at 48000 Hz sample rate. The one mp3 sound clip that Flash handled properly was recorded at 44100 Hz. (I thought all my sound clips were 44kHz from looking at the Flash properties - this is not the place to look. Audacity gave me the true rate.) So ChrisRTA had it right.

When I convert my mp3 clips to 44100 Hz, Flash treats them as mp3 and they sound excellent in the swf file. I don't think Flash is recompressing them at any point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2007 10:50 PM   in reply to amay0_0
    Hi,
    It is strange, but I am trying to think with you. I know that the best extension to use to get a good audio quality is to import the audio as .wav not .mp3, because Flash converts all the sounds to mp3. May be this is why the quality you get from the .wav files is better than the one you get form the mp3 files, even when the compression is disabled, Flash still convert the sound whatever its extension to mp3. So, it is like you convert an mp3 file intro an mp3 using a sound convert, mp3 is a compress

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2007 3:17 PM   in reply to ChrisRTA
    Okay, I've run into the same problem, and I think I've got this figured out. ChrisRTA was close, but the magic denominator is not 11 kHz, but exactly 11025 Hz (11.025 kHz). So, the MP3 must have a sample rate of 11025, 22050, or 44100 Hz. (33075 Hz would theoretically fit in this rule, but my MP3 encoder doesn't seem to support that frequency so I can't test it.)

It seems possible to work around this by using a loader to load the MP3 externally, but it plays back too quickly ("chipmunk-like") then.

This stipulation would not be so annoying if it were better documented.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2007 5:59 PM   in reply to Garrett_Albright
    Okay, looks like I spoke too soon… Flash is now trying to re-encode some of my 44.1kHz MP3s as well. At first, I thought it was a stereo/mono thing, but further testing dispels that. So it looks like there's some factor in addition to the multiple-of-11025-Hz thing.

In addition, when I try to add *some* MP3s to the stage by drag-and-dropping, it fails silently and nothing ever shows up in the library.

Adobe, it looks like this aspect of the IDE could really use some work! At least tell us what the limitations are so we don't have to guess!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 9:14 AM   in reply to Garrett_Albright

Years later and I'm still having this issue with Flash CS4.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points