• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader XI won't open pdf

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Reader 11.0.2 and it wouldn't open any pdf's. I tried the troubleshooting steps, none of which worked and then tried to uninstall and re-install. Now I can't re-install any version of Reader.

Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

So you get that error even if you try to open Adobe Reader by itself?

Can you try to disable Protected Mode by downloading, extracting, and running the attached registry script?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give more detail. Screen shots of error messages would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeError25Mar13.jpg

I have now managed to get around re-installing an earlier version by disabling my anti-virus but I still get the same error message as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When do you get this? Is it as soon as Reader starts, before you can do anything?

When a file is being opened? Some other time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open the application or just double clicking on a pdf it gives the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you get that error even if you try to open Adobe Reader by itself?

Can you try to disable Protected Mode by downloading, extracting, and running the attached registry script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat,

Yes I get this error message even when I try to open Acrobat Reader by itself. I've tried running the script but this doesn't make any difference. Is there any particular folder I should place this in to run it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I just read your earlier post, that you installed an earlier Reader version.

My script is for Reader XI only; what version do you have installed now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just re-installed Reader XI and it opens fine now. I still seem to get the message above after a minute or so but if I just click on "don't send" the message goes away and the application continues to function, so hopefully it's nothing more than a minor annoyance.

Many thanks,

Nick W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I ran into this same problem and was able to solve the problem.  (Both for Adobe Reader X and Adobe Reader XI).

I'm using a laptop with NVIDIA video card and discovered that the NVIDIA Video Driver was somehow conflicting with Adobe Reader XI's  EULA.exe program, which runs first time after install.
Problem:  As Adobe Reader's  EULA.exe ('End User Licence Agreement') never runs, you can never 'Agree to Terms and Conditions' of use, and Adobe XI shuts down, thinking you have 'Not agreed' to terms of use.

I had to go into Windows "Event Viewer" (Application Log View) to see that EULA.exe was "faulting" with the NVidia video driver.  Error message will look something like this:
Faulting application name: Eula.exe, version: 10.1.4.38, time stamp: 0x5012e7a3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Eula.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvdxgiwrap.dll
Anyway, "the fix":
I needed to install latest NVidia video driver to resolve this problem.  Earlier in March (2013), Microsoft released a number of "Optional" Window 7 Hardware Driver updates.  Among them was NVidia Video driver.  After I installed the Microsoft recommended NVidia driver, Adobe Reader X (and Adobe Reader XI) both ran fine.    ie:  The 'End User Licence Agreement' (EULA.exe) now runs the first time after install, I now say "Yes", "I accept the terms" and Adobe Reader XI runs fine. 
This is the first time I've ever seen a Video driver cause a conflict with Adobe.
The easiest way to check for this update, Click on:  Start --> All Programs --> Windows Update.  
Then Click on "Optional Updates" and see if NVidia Video driver is among the recommended driver updates.   If "Yes", select it (click on check box), install it, reboot, and see whether this fixes the problem.     
Alternately, go into Windows "Event Viewer" --> "Windows Logs" --> "Application",   and see whether there are any "Errors" (Red !'s) listed immediately after running Adobe Reader.   
If you see an Error message reading something to the nature of:

Faulting application name   Eula.exe       ....and the name of the other application Adobe's EULA.exe is 'faulting' with,
check to see if you can download & install an update for the other problem application (or driver) causing the fault with EULA.exe,  in the hope this fixes the problem.
Anyway, my own experiences with this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drunmi: this is exactly what's happening to me, and thank you for pointing it out. I'm still having problems because I don't have a driver update in my recommended updates list, and don't see that I updated the driver in the March update you talk about. I also don't see my particular driver at NVidia's driver site, and don't know enough about how the thing works to have the guts to download a different driver than what I currently have (they're recommendation). Very frustrating for me thanks to my limited computer knowledge.

Anyway, thanks again. At least I can see that there's certainly a conflict occuring between the NVidia dll file and Reader XI. When I try to start XI, it begins to open, stays gray for about 5 seconds, then disappears. I think it's as you say, that I still haven't approved the EULA (which I can't because it's conflicting with the graphics driver).

Very frustrating for a barely-competent computer user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the auto-detect feature on the Nvidia site to find an updated driver for your device: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You rock!  Finally fixed my adobe with your advice about updating the registration.  Thanks so much.  I've been having this problem--and it's really important that I get it fixed for professional reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this exact problem. See the reply by drunmi below. I used his steps to see if my NVidia graphics driver was conflicting with Adobe XI's eula.exe file (end license agreement you have to agree to prior to reader opening). It was. Downloaded a newer NVidia driver. Adobe XI's EULA opened, accepted. Now Reader's working.

Thanks so much drunmi. I've seen numerous other threads on this strange problem. I went as far as downloading a different reader just so I could print out a much-needed document. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NVidia vs EULA conflict does seem a possibility for me, too... I'm currently trying to update NVidia. Unfortunately Java isn't allowing the automatic NVidia scan so I've tried it manually and some options are there... we'll see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have Java updated to the latest version (JRE 7 Update 51) and enabled in your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had latest version of Java (installed and) enabled in my browser(s) for some time. However, security messages suddenly (within the last few days) started blocking Java. Therefore, in Java control panel > Security tab, I added relevant websites to the Exceptions Site List. That worked... Nvidia was then able to detect a driver update. The download failed to complete; I tried again, got another fail message plus instruction to restart... but I seem still to have the old driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why the update fails; try to download the manual update - make sure the download matches your display adapter and operating system (including bitness).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines