Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Digital Publishing Suite Help | Creating HTML articles for DPS

Jul 9, 2013 9:09 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hi Colin,

I have build a simple HTML article where I animate the content with jQuery. Everything works great i Folio Builder (I can import and preview the article) until I add a loop to my animations in jQuery. When I add the loop to it, Folio Builder never completes the import article/uploading process, it just stand still loading.

Do you know hos I can solve this?

Cheers,

Lina

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to linis82

Hi, Lisa.

Are you using InDesign CC? If so, try the workaround noted here.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jlockman/2013/06/22/using-edge-animate-cc-proje cts-as-html-dps-folios-with-indesign-cc/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to jlockman

Thank you so much! This workaround helped. I really appreciate your help, this has been a big issue for me during the last two days.

I have one more question. It really bothers me that I am not able to decide which view the user starts seeing when they first view my ad. I realize now that is one big limitation with using HTML aricles. Is there any workaround for that? (I am not using Edge to animate, I only have an HTML file and my resource folder). Is it possible to import the HTML into a indesign document as you can with Edge material?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to linis82

Hi

I believe that the issue is that the HTML article will automatically start outside of your control, which is expected with HTML articles unless you code some kind of starting mechanism that responds to some reader action (tap a button, swipe somewhere, etc). To answer your other question, though, you can indeed use inDesign and control when the ad will start.

In InDesign, you can set the delay to .125 for a Web Content overlay and it will then "fire" when it first comes into the reader's view. If you set it to zero (the default, by the way), then it will "fire" as soon as the article loads, which may not be when you expect, since DPS will preload adjacent articles in order to improve the reading experience. You can, therefore, put your HTML/jquery ad into a folder with an index.html file to drive it and then make a Web Content overlay in InDesign that points at the index.html file for your ad. Set the overlay to autoplay, and set the delay to .125 seconds. This way, your ad will always start when your reader swipes to view it. It also allows you to put the ad as an interstitial deeper in an article, and you can ensure it starts when the reader views it and not before.

There is a cavet here, which is that the article will take some time to load, depending on the complexity of your HTML. As a result, your reader may see a spinning wheel on the screen instead of your ad while the ad begins to load. You should be sure to put a poster frame there that perhaps is a screen shot of the first frame of your animation. That way, when the ad loads, it will already have the first frame ready to go and will replace the first frame with the animation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to jlockman

Many thanks for explaining how it works! Now I have a better understanding of how things work and what options I have.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points