• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to type in math symbols/equations in PSE6

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a cool project and need to know how to do this.  Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Yes you can manipulate the size or rotate like any other image.  You won't be able to edit the equation itself unless you have the correct fonts for it in PSE.

Also, your Mac must have a screen grab software/utility and perhaps R. Kelly or Barbara can help you here.  I don't use MAC but I suspect it must have something like what Windows has.  Windows 7 has Snipping tools and also one can do print-screen to grab the image and then manipulate it in PSE or Photoshop or Fireworks.

But to change the si

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

On windows for example one can use the Alt+keycodes on the numeric keypad:

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/maths-alt-codes.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm on Mac 10.5.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got Microsoft Word on your Mac machine?  If so then I suggest create your equation in it and then copy/paste it in PSE new document.  That is how I do most of the time.

If you don't have Word then perhaps online equation editor might be available from which you can copy/paste into PSE.

G/L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that suggestion!   I tried that with MS Word, and it worked.   Unfortunately, pasting the MS font into PSE changes the way the characters look--they become much less flowing and scriptlike, and more like stick figures.   For my project, I need the characters to look they do in MS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to type the equation in Word as before but instead of copy/paste, do a screen grab using Jing or something similar.  Look at this image:

2013-07-11_0302.png

Jing is free from TechSmith.

2013-07-11_0304.png

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  Too bad this is only for 10.6 and above--I have 10.5.8!   I looked at other screen grab software and it was the same deal--nothing under 10.6.

Before I plunk down the money for 10.6, can you tell me exactly how Jing works?  That's a beautiful equation there, but when I put my equations into PSE, I am going to need to maniputlate them--meaning rotate them, make them smaller and larger, etc.  Will I be able to do that using a screen grab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to take screenshots using the software included on your mac:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_capture_screenshots_os_x%E2%80%99s_builtin_grab_app

You can try screenshots, but they may not be the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can manipulate the size or rotate like any other image.  You won't be able to edit the equation itself unless you have the correct fonts for it in PSE.

Also, your Mac must have a screen grab software/utility and perhaps R. Kelly or Barbara can help you here.  I don't use MAC but I suspect it must have something like what Windows has.  Windows 7 has Snipping tools and also one can do print-screen to grab the image and then manipulate it in PSE or Photoshop or Fireworks.

But to change the size or to rotate the image, it is possible in PSE.  Try with the image I have posted above and let us know if you were successful.  The image I have posted can be saved on your machine and you can play with it to get hang of it.

2013-07-11_0421.png

G/L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite,

Yes, it worked beautifully!   I was able to grab your equation as per Barbara's command + shift + 4 and put it into PSE.   The font remained the same and I was able to manipulate to my heart's delight.

I believe you indicated that you created this equation in MS Word.  I have Word, but I can't seem to find all of those beautiful mathematical symbols.  I did find a few under Insert > Symbol, but have no idea I'd do the subscripts and superscripts.

Thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got a tool bar on my Word 2010 as shown in this picture (click on it to magnify it):

2013-07-13_0341.png

If you are using Word 2003 then I can post a picture in it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in Office 2003:

2013-07-13_0347.png

G/L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: the screen shot from mytaxsite.co.uk:

That may be from Office 2003, but that's not from the included equation editor in Office 2003. That's the MathType toolbar, which is not included with Office 2003, or any other version of MS Office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word 2010, you need Insert >> Equation

See/click on this picture:

2013-07-13_0448.png

And in Word 2003, it is Insert >> Object

2013-07-13_0451.png

G/L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just didn't look down far enough. If I scroll further down the Insert menu, I get Equation, which brings up this toolbar:

Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 12.04.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara and mytax,

Thank you for your diligence!  I appreciate your help.  I have Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac and it doesn't have these features. 

Do you have any other ideas for me?

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All versions of word that will run in OS X have it. Here are microsoft's directions on how to use it word 2004/mac (google is your friend in these situations):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2004-macword/how-to-intall-equation-editor-in-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

Thanks.  I checked, but when I go into the Object Type box I do not see Microsoft Equation.

Now, it says I can get it from my Install disc.   I do have the disk; but how do I go hunting for what I want?

Jim

Insert an equation

1. Click where you want to insert the equation.

2. On the Insert menu, click Object.

3. In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation.

4. Click OK.

5. Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar and typing variables and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions, integrals, and summations.

For Help on creating an equation, click Equation Editor Help on the Equation Editor Help men6. When you are finished creating your equation, click Quit Equation Editor on the Equation Editor menu.

You can also confirm by looking in Applications:Microsoft Office 2004:Office to see if the app is listed there. If not you should be able to obtain it from the Office 2004 install disk.

As an alternative you can obtain the trial version of MathType which reverts to MathType Lite if you don't purchase within the 30-day trial period:

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/trial.asp

Regards,

Bob J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 10.5, look in your applications folder for omnigraffle. Also appleworks has an equations editor you could use.

All macs come with very efficient screen grab software. Just press command+shift+4 and drag over what you want to capture.

Depending on the age of your mac you may also have the deluxe calculator program in your applications folder. Investigate what's there. Old versions of OS X came with all sorts of useful utlitiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have specified that I would try to create the actual equation and use copy/paste before going the screenshot route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some for macs:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/keyboards/charpalosx.html

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards2.asp

Something like Math Magic may be better suited for that purpose on macs:

http://www.mathmagic.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines