• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Appendix not appearing in the TOC?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have just added an appendix to an existing guide. However, the Appendix heading does not display in the TOC, it just includes the heading 1s and 2s.

The master page for the toc includes the following definitions:

Chapter <$chapnum>: <$paratext><$pagenum>
<$paratext><$pagenum>
<$paratext><$pagenum>
<$paratext><$pagenum>
Appendix <$chapnum>: <$paratext><$pagenum>

The Chapter heading is displaying fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Emma.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma, these definitions are on the TOC *Reference Page*, not Master Page, yes?

If you right-click on the TOC in your existing guide (the book file) you'll likely see that the appendix title is not included. If it is, then it's likely that your AppendixTOC (assumes your appendix paragraph tag is named Appendix) paragraph tag is not assigned to the paragraph on the reference page.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry yes, I did of course mean the Reference page.

What you suggested was exactly the problem, thanks! An easy fix really, but I really don't find Framemaker to be very intuitive...

Thanks again,
Emma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that you fixed it!

As far as intuitiveness, Fm has its own logic, and things will seem more predictable after using the product for a while. Not much help now, but it gets better down the line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feeling of amazed satisfaction the first time you do something "because it feels right" and it works … it's a moment you'll not forget!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> As far as intuitiveness, Fm has its own logic ...

And it's own baggage - some of what's controlled by Reference Pages really belongs in designer dialogs, and I would include lists gen (e.g. TOC) in that. Having to edit both Paragraph properties and prototype text on an RP is somewhat odd.

Another example is master page mapping - the fact that the needed MasterPageMaps RP doesn't even exist until you perform&fail an AMP makes it look very much like a hack. I'd expect it to be an option in Para Designer > Pagination, or at least have a button in that dialog to create and go to the MPM RP. Perhaps in FM 15.3 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines