Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Upper half of video is missing (black screen) - Help!!

Jul 11, 2013 9:55 PM

missing top half of video.jpg

I'm working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and I have all updates installed. This is my first time posting and I've only been using CS6 for a few months so I'm still a newbie. That being said here's my dilemma: a project I had worked on yesterday without any issues is now missing the upper half of the video. I didn't have a problem before and this is the first time I'm having to deal with this. For some reason, the problem is only occuring when I use files larger than 1GB. When I switch to a lower quality video file that is 160MB, for example, I don't have the problem of missing the upper half of the video. I also tried exporting to see if the problem gets corrected during the export process but it also comes out missing the upper half of the video. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marisela

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to marisela2013

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Operating system and hardware details, including brand/model graphics adapter and device driver version

IF you have nVidia... How to determine your nVidia driver version

Right click in any open area of the Windows desktop

Select NVIDIA Control Panel from the popup window

Select SYSTEM INFORMATION at the lower left corner

Driver version should be the 1st line in Details

I have a GTX285 using driver 296.10 and Win7

And what you are editing

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

Does your sequence match your video?

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/message/3776153

-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to marisela2013

Misery loves company.  I too, just an hour agon experienced the same Premiere Pro half monitor blackout.  It occured after I made some Windows updates.  It only occurs in Premiere Pro CS4 project files that are using all of the following: the Cropping effect,   the Camera View effect , and in the same effects controls -under Motion  I did some scaling.   The original files are 1440 X 1080  Windows Media (wmv) files.  They are the only ones affected.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1, i7  3.6GHz, 16GB of memory, GeForce GTX 570 card ver.9.18.13.1106

I exported out a segment using windows media 9 codec and it resulted in the same half monitor blackout.

Looking for a the solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to marisela2013

We have experienced the exact same issue in our software product.  We have narrowed it down to windows updates under MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821.

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem.  Hopefully Adobe can rally Microsoft to fix this properly ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

Thank you TalbotMcInnis! Uninstalling that kb2803821 update was the trick. I knew it had to be connected to the MS update, but did not know where to start. And thank you Marisela and Adobe Forums for getting the conversation started! I really appreciate you all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

Thanks  a million, TalbotMcInnis - I was running up to a deadline and

didin't need that kind of stress.

-Bernaldo

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

We have narrowed it down to windows updates under MS bulliten MS13-057.

Holy crap, man, how did you ever figure that out?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to marisela2013

Thank you so much! I had the exact same problem with my wmv. files and looked everywhere for a solution. I followed your screenshots above and it worked perfectly!! Made my day!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to marisela2013

A MILLION THANKS!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I am glad everyone is able to use this short term work-around, but windows update have a habit of coming back unannounced.  We need to find a better solution, which very likely requires getting Microsoft to acknowledge the bug and release a hotfix or update.  Do Adobe staff monitor these threads?  They will have better channels to Microsoft than any of us pleebs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

>  Do Adobe staff monitor these threads?

Yes. I'll be looking into this tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 10:13 PM   in reply to marisela2013

That did it!  Hours spent trying to figure this out today...I thought I had forgotten how to use a computer!

To all the people who continue to help and contribute and ask nothing in return, I for one, am grateful.

Thiis solved the problem of the bad wmv files...thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:48 AM   in reply to marisela2013

I really apreciatte the screenshots! Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to marisela2013

Thanks for posting this.  I had a 10PM scare last night, trying to render a 4 week project for final delivery today.

Is this an Adobe issue or a M$ issue?  If it's only affecting PPro, AE & AME, maybe Adobe can fix it without Microsoft?  I certainly hope so, I can't imagine M$ caring about "only" a couple hundred thousand Creative Suite users when millions if not billions of people around the world are on Windows and not having the problem.

I hope someone somewhere takes responsibility for this, because not installing Windows Updates isn't a real good answer, with all the new security issues poping up daily.  I turned off auto-update because it reinstalled the M$ WMV killer overnight for the second time, and I assume it's going to install it every night until the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the quick fix - it would have been a really bad night for me if you hadn't come up with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to NJ_scubadave

> Is this an Adobe issue or a M$ issue?

It's a Microsoft issue. It affects any software trying to use WMV files.

I'm following up with Microsoft now. This may take a little while, since the person who I need to talk with is on vacation for a few days.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to NJ_scubadave

It happens in our software also.  I develop a DirectX based video player.  I suspect my player uses the same WMV playback components as the affected Adobe software.  Microsoft certainly has the ability and responsibility to fix this since their update introduced it.  There is a very small chance that there is any workaround that Adobe or I could do.  The WMV decoding pipeline is etremely protected and tamper-proof so that it supports DRM playback, so its very much a black box to every application which relies on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

so its very much a black box to every application which relies on it.

Maybe the black box is slipping a little and covering part of the screen? Perhaps you could install a code shifter to compensate?

(Sorry; forgot I wasn't in the lounge.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to marisela2013

You guys deserve the noble peace prize!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

Talbot,

Thanks to your findings on this matter, some announcements have been made in other Adobe forums.

Also, Adobe has released this

Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

As I seldom work with WMV media, I had not picked up on the problem, but when I checked, it WAS there, so I just went to my last System Restore point, and things are fixed. I do need to kill the MS message, that I have Updates available, until they get their act together.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi All,

Sorry for any inconvience this has caused you. Microsoft is aware of the issue and are working on a solution.

Thanks to all who have provided information and tips around this issue.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to petergaraway

Thanks, Peter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to TalbotMcInnis

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU --- was in a flat panic since yesterday on an overdue ;-( project and then this issue crept in and detroyed any hope that was left. This saved my day. And btw no need to reboot ... as soon as the update was uninstalled Premiere pro came right. Also worked for total black video

+100 to Adobe forums ... I am SO happy now. This probably saved me a plane trip to customer site. BOOOH to Microsoft upades - I immediately disabled auto updates on the remote machine I was using to finalize my project files

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to marisela2013

After having uninstalled KB2803821 on Windows 7, the top half of the WMV is not clipped 100% of the time, but there are several frames where clipping still occurs. In my experience, they are not contiguous. As I Page Down through each frame, every 50-60 frames or so in a 29.97 fps composition I get a frame that is missing the top half.

Has anyone else encountered this after removing the hotfix and is there a resolution?

Thanks,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to jiwasz

Is it possible you're looking at an area that's was pre-rendered in your timeline before you removed the hotfix?

Removing the hotfix definitely fixed the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to ScubadaveNJ

I never edit WMV files. Never. However, it just so happens I was looking at some old files, and a question came up on the forum, and I grabbed the nearest video I could find to pull into Premiere Pro for an example - which was the WMV directory in Windows Explorer.

Son of a gun, there was the bottom half of the frame.Just the bottom half.

Interesting. But it leaves me with a question.

Why are people editing WMV files? What camera spits those out? Actually, where do people even find those anymore? And why not use H.264 which works fine?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 10:52 PM   in reply to petergaraway

I am using XP with Premier 3.0. Yes, I know I'm not up to date. My wmv files are showing up as completely black in Premier. I can't find those KB updates listed either. I did find a Windows Media Player Security update installed on 7/11/13. Could this be the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 4:46 AM   in reply to marisela2013

I am having exactly the same problem.

Wow, what a drag. But I'm glad and thankful you guys have posted this relatively easy fix.

I hope Adobe and/or Microsoft can sort this out quickly and release a patch or further upgrade. I had started converting all my footage to .mov and .mp4 formats as a workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

>>  Why are people editing WMV files? What camera spits those out? Actually, where do people even find those anymore? And why not use H.264 which works fine?

We have clients who hire us to edit them.  That's one of the reasons we chose Premiere - the ability to mix codecs and resolutions on a single timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to marisela2013

Great tip marisela.  Let me add one thing.  If the update has been installed, it won't show on the menu screen under "important updates" since it's already been installed.  You have to first unintstall it, reboot, and then it will show up as an "important update."

Then you can hide it.

At least, that's what I found on my Dell XPS laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Tried all sorts of wmv's and it does not show the half video. Both CS6 and CC. So go figure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Why are people editing WMV files? What camera spits those out? Actually, where do people even find those anymore? And why not use H.264 which works fine?

Thanks for testing this on some pld footage, Steven.

Always kinda getting a tad annoyed when forum comments go along the lines of "why do you want to do that?" - or "That's not the way to do it...".

The point is, people do things differently and if they need help, they expect pro-active answers. I.e. a lot of screen capture processes output wmv for example. WMV is also much more forgiving with flexible frame rates.

So, let's not make assumptions on practicalities and old/new methods. Let's just try to sort this out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to nadworks-cb

a lot of screen capture processes output wmv for example. WMV is also much more forgiving with flexible frame rates.

Ah, I see. I know that screen capture utilities do that but mine allows me to use other codecs, like Lagarith, which is visually lossless so I use that. It creates huge files, but I have the room so it doesn't bother me. The flexible frame rates, now that I didn't know about. So thanks..

So, let's not make assumptions on practicalities and old/new methods. Let's just try to sort this out.

Don't get upset when people ask questions. That is what forums are for! Besides, it is already sorted out. It is a Microsoft problem, and there is a solution. What more can be sorted out other than Microsoft fixing what they broke.

If the solution had not been discovered, I would probably not have asked a question that sidetracked the conversation.

If people need to edit WMV because of clients and there is no access to the original material, I am not one of those to accuse WMV of not being a "professional" codec. You edit what you get paid to edit. I was not being argumentative. I truly have not been in a position to edit a WMV in many, many years.

Having said that, if people here are creating WMV for the purpose of editing it, I suggest that there are better ways to do that in many, if not most, cases.

Take the free "CamStudio Recorder" for example. Lagarith is a choice and Premiere Pro edits it like a hot knife through butter.

At least it is something to consider. In the meantime, follow the instructions in posts 4 & 23.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I am a Youtuber, and I can promise you that WMM files load better into Youtube then any other file type I've ever encountered. So I usually save the vids I wanna post there in that format. I know that the quality is a little worse (infact I even did a little study into it for a project) but I still think it's fine (for Youtube)

But, hey, maybe I'm juSt an idiot and I should try .mp4 or something instead. But that seems irrelevant, as there is an issue here, and the way around it is not "Well, then just don't use that file type!"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to marisela2013

That did it!  Working on a big project and you saved me, thanks!!!!   Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to marisela2013

I am suffering with the same fault.  I have hunted for those update numbers but not found them. There are over ten waiting to be loaded so they could be there. I have also taken my machine back to an earlier date but it has not repaired it self. I was using it yesterday with no problems!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Colinhotpoint

Microsoft has acknowledge this problem as a known issue for their update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2803821

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to Kyle Darkwelder

I can promise you that the H.264 codec is better than WMV and plays just fine on YouTube and edits great in Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to marisela2013

I uninstalled kb2803821, re started my PC and Yes full frame again !!  Thanks

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points