• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 - Edit In Photoshop is greyed out [was: Lightroom 5]

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 5 and when I right click on the image and select "Edit IN", Photoshop is grayed out.  All of the options for selecting photoshop is grayed out.  How can I fix this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Hi there!

For everyone who has commented on this thread after web-weaver​'s post (Re: LR5 - Edit In Photoshop is greyed out [was: Lightroom 5]😞 have you checked the help document that was linked AND checked if you have the original file and are not working with a Smart Preview?

Here's the link to the help document, just in case: "Edit In Photoshop" command missing.

Please let us know. Thanks,

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to Lightroom forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this helps: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/edit-photoshop-command-missing-photoshop.html

But before you try to edit the registry re-install Photoshop (not Lightroom!)

Editing the registry is a dangerous thing  - if you make a mistake Windows might not start next time you boot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello web-weaver,

Thank you for the reply. But HELP! I followed the instructions for reinstalling but first removed PS CC and then attempted the reinstall. I even went back to Adobe to download a fresh copy of the software. It download successfully and when attempting the reinstall, I now have problems in that area. I click on the file “CreativeCloudSet-UP” and then it says initializing and then displays the Creative Cloud Apps Menu. It is blank! It shows no options whatsoever and I cannot install PS. What do I do now?

Thanks for your help,

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m sorry I can`t help you with that. I am not a subscriber to CC and don't know the ins and outs of that.

There is a special forum for questions regarding installation and setting up of programs from the CC. I suggest you post your question there. This is the link:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you and I appreciate your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly have the same problem in Lightroom 5. It worked yesterday, but all "Photo / edit in" optons are greyed out today. I didn't do any updates or change any preferances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just figued it out. I'm useing smart previews and I don't have the drive attached. I'll bet that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter_Elements wrote:

I'm useing smart previews and I don't have the drive attached. I'll bet that's it.

Certainly originals must be online to edit in Photoshop - dunno if that's OP's problem or not. Note: if you really *do* want to edit (a reduced-rez copy of the original) in Photoshop whilst original is offline, then just export to catalog as DNG, so no re-compression, then edit that instead - that may be the next best thing *iff* it's really what you want to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.. all may 'edit in' options were greyed out. (also the Nik Filters from google). When I started my Nas (where the actual images are stored) it worked fine. The SmartPreview is very good but I was a bit worried that I needed to do a registry hack. So before you go into the registry, make sure you have the actual images ready. test it by nagivating to the images and open it in paint or so.. PS.: restart lightroom after attaching the drive or card...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just experienced the same thing.  It's the first time I saved on a separate disk when traveling.  By connecting my external drive, I recovered access to the grey out section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Check the "Catalog" Pane. If you are in a quick collection for some reason LR5 doesn't let you "Edit in."

Click onto "all photographs" and edit away.

Cheers

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  My drive is attached and I clicked onto "all photographs" but edit in Photoshop CC 2014 is still grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image must be smart preview, to use edit in option , you must have original image

check just below the histogram, it will show original image or smart preview or original+smart preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working for me.  Ever since the last update (last week), I have to uninstall and reinstall PS.  Creative Cloud keeps going to black screen too.  When one goes the other goes. Pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caeccles,

Are you still seeing this issue? If yes, could you try uninstalling and installing Lr(having PS already installed).

Also open Creative cloud and 'relaunch' it using cmd+option+R(Mac)/ctrl+alt+R(Win) to solve black screen issue, this should work.

Please let me know what happens.

Thank you,

Venkatesh

Venkatesh Penjuri
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Venkatesh!

So, that's what I have done (each time), is I uninstall either Lightroom or PS and then re-install.  Usually this greyed out issue occurs when Create Cloud goes black-screen on me, then I just end up having to uninstall/reinstall everything.  Not the perfect mix, but oh well .

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old post, but still some new additions to it.  In my case it was because I moved files to a new computer and it was only seeing the Smart Previews... the actual Raw files were unlinked to Lightroom.  In this situation there was a grey bod on the top of each thumbnail.  I clicked on it and did a simple search to locate the file.  All other files were automatically linked thereafter.   Hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same, I moved the original source file, once I re-linked the file, it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

For everyone who has commented on this thread after web-weaver​'s post (Re: LR5 - Edit In Photoshop is greyed out [was: Lightroom 5]😞 have you checked the help document that was linked AND checked if you have the original file and are not working with a Smart Preview?

Here's the link to the help document, just in case: "Edit In Photoshop" command missing.

Please let us know. Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem until I noticed the picture I was looking at wasn't highlighted in the icon list of photos at the bottom of the window. When I clicked on the icon then the edit in options became available. I guess it was just the smart preview I was trying to open in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines