Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Reader "Already installed"

Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had a problem with Reader where it gave me an error message saying ReaderSomething.msi (I don't really remember the name) could not be found. So I tried to uninstall reader to then install it again. Though when I tried to uninstall, some files did not want to be removed, in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Resource\CMap\  Identity-H and Identity-V. I tried to remove them myself, but for some reason they, or the map Reader 11.0 cannot be removed. I tried to re-install Reader by downloading the latest ver from the website, but when I tried to install it says that reader already is installed, but it isn't. This is very annoying. I have tried to remove every single reader file, including the ones in ProgramData. But still it says reader is already installed. A screenshot won't help, because it's just the installer that says ☑ Already installed

What do I do to make this work? I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to delete some files from the registry, though it did not work. I have also tried with the cleaner but it did not work either. I just tried File Assasin, and it worked to delete everything properly (at least I think so, I can't find any traces)

Anyways, I still can't install it. I get an error message when I try to install.

http://i.imgur.com/98SXPiM.png

"Error in installation of Adobe Reader

The key: UNKNOWN\Components\27BE807B28AA7BE3B80B8D54AB539CD3\68AB67CA7DA73501B744BA0000000010 cannot be opened. Confirm that you have acces to the key or contact support."

Now what do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Components\27BE807B28AA7BE3B80B8D54AB539CD3\68AB67CA7DA73501B 744BA0000000010 in the registry, but when I pressed the folder \68AB67CA7DA73501B 744BA0000000010 it gave me an error message saying the file was corrupted. I tried to take ownership of the folder, but when I saved it it just said acces denied.

What the..?

I found this, though it is not the same key as I have problems with. But I thought it might help you guys to help me, haha. http://www.okino.com/conv/changing_windows_registry_permissions.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try the Removal Tool that C F McBlob posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said that I already have tried it. Anyways, my problem is now to install it, see picture above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes you did; sorry.

Do you use the full installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ ?

One thing you could try is http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the other installer, but I still get the same error. When I tried with the microsoft tool, I could not pick Adobe Reader in the list since it is not installed, therefore I picked "not in the list" but it told me that everything is fine.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of the key in the registry. For some reason, I can't do anything to it.

http://i.imgur.com/eQe7Sa2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only one last idea: use SubInACL to either fix the permission for that entry, or delete it.

What is the full key to that entry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try with that program. If it not works, should I just delete the key? What if I mess up the computer by doing that?

The key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\27BE807B28AA7BE3B80B8D54AB539CD3\68AB67CA7DA73501B744BA0000000010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the program, I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ and opened subinacl.exe (I tried as an administrator too) but I just get a box that pops up and dissapears in less than a second. Ugh..

edit

I just noticed now after a couple of tries to open the program that the box that pops up is a cmd window. But maybe the program is supposed to be like that, idk. I can't read what it says though, it's only visible for like 0.4 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that you were unable to delete that key?  But if you can, I suggest that you create a System Restore Point before attempting to delete that key.

Regarding SubInACL, that program needs an input script, e.g. instructions to add, or delete, or change permissions of a key.  But if you can delete the key from regedit, then you won't need SubInACL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this totally untelated post about iTunes?  Some sort of spam...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I reported it as spam.

Anyways, I tried to delete the key now, but it gave me an error and I am unable to delete it. How do I make this SubInACL to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a little batch file that uses SubInACL to change the key's permissions, then use reg.exe to delete the key.

Do the following

• download and unzip the attached file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
  • create a System Restore Point
  • double-click on the del_key.bat file to run it

I have not tested that batch file, as I do not want to corrupt my current Reader installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple batch, well why didn't I think of that myself...

A slight edit of the file could work for future problems too..

@echo off

@setlocal enableextensions

@cd /d "%~dp0"

echo.

echo Please paste the full key path.

set /p key=

subinacl /subkeyreg %key% /setowner=users

subinacl /subkeyreg %key% /grant=users=F

subinacl /subkeyreg %key% /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg %key% /grant=administrators=f

reg DELETE %key% /va /f

cls

echo.

echo Key deleted.

pause

exit

Not sure if that would work though...

Anyways, thank you very much. The file deleted the key (though it's still shown in the registry, but who gives a damn) I could install Reader and it works perfectly!

And I must say, thanks again for the fast and great support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome; glad it worked!

And thanks for the improved batch script!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines