Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC scrolling slow

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a document with about 30 pages varing in size from 2'x4' to 15'x15'. Most of the pages are around 8'x4'. In inDesign CS 6 I could zoom around the pages as fast as my fingers could scroll (using the 2 finger jesture on a magic mouse or track pad). The new inDesign CC is painfully slow. It lags and crawls. It doesn't matter what "display performance setting" I have it on. It shouldn't matter anyway because CS 6 could go super fast with "high quality" selected. I have a MBPr running OS X 10.8.4. I've already made too many changes to go back to CS 6 which sucks because it was sooo much faster than CC. I'm starting to regret the upgrade. I trashed the preferences and restarted my machine. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best policy when moving older files to newer versions is to Export the CS6 document as an IDML file - and open that in InDesign CC.

However, you've made changes to this document - which is a pity that you can't go back

I would suggest using File>Save As>IDML from InDesign CC and then open that and see if it fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Eugene, but that didn't work. I still had the original doc in CS 6 so I saved it out as a IDML file and then opened it in CC and I still got that slow scrolling. Hopefully this is just a glych, as you say, between CS 6 and CC. If CC behaves as expected for new documents that would be great. When I get a chance I'll create a new document and see if the scrolling is fast. I'll report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a doc with nothing in it and had 30 normal size pages. The scrolling was fine. Once I'm finished with this project maybe I'll recreate the doc from scratch and see what happens. I just hope that CS 6 doesn't out preform CC with huge page sizes because CS 6 was awesome and had super fast performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using CC on a MBPr and I'm seeing the same thing. There's a very noticeable lag on everything. This definitely was not the case with CS6. I just got the MBPr and it's my first time using CC, so I was thinking maybe it could also be the computer. Any possibility it's being caused by the HiDPI rendering? I don't have another computer to test it out on. Photoshop CC runs like silk as far as I can tell though I haven't really gotten a chance to put it through its paces. Hopefully a fix is coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retina support in InDesign CC means that it draws 4 times as many pixels as a lower resolution display and that is the reason for the slow down in scrolling speed.  If you run InDesign CS6, it will be faster, but you'll notice that the drawing is "pixelated" because the the OS is doubling all the pixels.  The OS can do that very fast, but of course the quality is poor.  Rendering all the drawing at high resolution gives you very crisp text and line art, but the downside is that its slower.  Its an inevitable trade off between quality and speed.

Mark VerMurlen

InDesign Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's kind of what I suspected, but even when just inputting text there is a noticeable lag between the keystroke and the character appearing on screen. Also, according to this thread, http://forums.adobe.com/message/5436073#5436073, the problem seems to be more widespread than just retina displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems strange that they didn't have an option to speed it up. After all they have a Display Performance option. The main reason for retina support is for text more than images in inDesign. We have grown accustomed to images looking pixilated as well as line art. Even on "Fast" Display Performance it goes slow. No other app has this issue. Seems like they rushed the retina support out. I hope that they resolve this because I really want to be able to use inDesign on a hi-res display. Right now it's just too slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not properly optimized for anything. People seem to be having trouble on all kinds of setups. Have you noticed while scrolling through a document the ruler actually scrolls faster than the layout and it catches up when you stop. Just another weird thing I noticed. Hope they get on a fix soon because the text looks absolutely amazing on the retina display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I love the way text looks on the retina display. I was so excited for inDesign's retina support, now I'm hoping these issues can be worked out because now I'm just stuck on CS 6 after committing to the monthly payments. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed is really not good when opening CS6 in CC. Better to finish CS6 projects in CS6. Tried creating new CC doc and that seemed to work fine (new doc only)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time for this!!!! 

An inevitable trade off between quality and speed...  What?? Then give us a choice to turn it off! A job quoted as 20 hours will now surely take 40 - that's over $3000!

I hope there is a definative answer soon, I have tried everything on this thread and nothing makes a difference. Besides the fact that you should not have to turn off features that you have been using in Indesign for years just to have the program usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Design Proof 100%. If it's an "inevitable trade off between quality and speed" then let's have the option to turn it off. If we can't have them both than I would have to belief most users would gladly trade the higher working resolution to have the speed back. There is definitely something wrong here and I really hope it's going to be resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm experiencing all the problems everyone here has, but I'm not on a retina screen. I have some big jobs going through, and it's not good.

Is it worth reinstalling InDesign CS6 - saving down from CC to re-open in CS6.... or will this problem migrate with the revised files?

Thank you for your help.

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Indesign updates seem to help. I have also found that you need to copy and paste into new files for any existing CS6 files you may be using.  Still not perfect but much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently spilting up a large brochure into separate indd docs for each section. So trying out the copy/paste idea. But watching each element being copied into new doc is painfully slow... taking 3 seconds each, per element to come up on screen. And CC indesign is up to date.

If reinstalling CS6 is the easy answer, and idml files don't bring this issue with them, I think I will be forced to go back to CS6.

Answer Adobe please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can go back and use CS6 for this project I would. I recently started a project in CS6, updated to CC, then when that was horrible I brought it back into CS6. Saved me lots of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your info panel open? If so, try closing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, WOW, that is much better, thank you. Everyone.... close your info panel!!! Really helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. It must be specific to a particular platform or configuration. I have no slow-down with it open or closed. I'm glad someone figured that out for those who are suffering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a large project using CC and struggling along. Everything I tried to do was accompanied by a 4-5 sec (sometimes longer) delay. Even moving or resizing a text box took a long time to process. I have continued to scan the forums to see if I could pick up any tips that would help (Adobe's updates did seem to help a little). It seems to me that a large number of those experiencing performance issues with CC are using laptops - so am I. I'm working on laptop with Windows 8, an i7 processor, 12Gb of ram, and a 1Gb Nvidia graphics card with optimus (the GeForce 640m). Optimus controls when the Nvidia card is activated and when the system just relies on the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. I checked InDesign, sure enough it was set to use the integrated graphics, which was apparently fine for the 32 bit CS6 but was no longer sufficient for some of the upgrades packed into CC. I switched over to the Nvidia card and loaded the same large project up, the performance increase was noticable. I hope this helps some of the others out there that are struggling through this update as well. It seems to need a higher performance graphics card to function. I will even say this, after switching over to my graphics card CC is definitely faster than CS6 was on the same size project. Good luck everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have used CS3 > CS4 > CS5 > CS6 and CC Indesign is the only one we have an issue with slow performance.

I hope this isn't the case and it has now become that heavily GPU dependent. If this is the case our creative department of hardly slow i7 27" imacs become useless.

I'm not playing the latest gaming extravaganza with millions of polygons on screen.

I'm moving images and type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not playing the latest gaming extravaganza with millions of polygons on screen.

Nicelly said...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drz4007 wrote:

Nicelly said...

I agree with you, but it is apparent that Adobe went after some visual enhancements in this update that is requiring a little more graphics performance than previous versions. I have noticed that the "normal" view mode in CC is rendering much better graphics than the same mode in CS6. The problem with this is that I never had an issue with the normal, working mode in previous versions. If I wanted to see it rendered at high res I just previewed it. I'll echo what others have already stated, if given a choice between performance and graphics while working I'll choose the performance everytime. It appears that choice is not ours to make though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem in InDesign CC 2014.0 and this (open IDML) worked perfectly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines