• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is it not possible to separate the dimensions of the top position in a rectangle?

Advisor ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the screen shot below.

Because I'm using a repeater I'd like to separate the dimensions for finer animation control up in this top Position of the Rectangle.

Why is this not possible?

Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 2.51.42 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not there. Can only do that in the transform property. You should add a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has nobody ever requested this before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has nobody ever requested this before?

Oh, they might have, but feature requests are like voting in a Chicago election: do it early and often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first feature request would be for a transparent feature request process. 

Let's see who wants what, for what, and how many others agree.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Has nobody ever requested this before?

very few

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there an easy "work around" that allows me to get animation from the object into the Repeater?

UPDATE: forgot to add... I want bezier handles on the keyframes of the position, as I can't get the result I want with the speed graph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can of course manually isolate all properties by tying them to single-stream expression controls (sliders)...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the x and y of ANY property can be separated by this technique?

How?

If I drag a position property to a "single-stream" slider, how do I know if it's going to control the X or the Y?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Add a slider to your layer by selecting Effect>Expression Controls>Slider Control

2. Duplicate your slider

Add this expression to the 2 axis value you want to control:

x = effect("Slider Control")("Slider");

y = effect("Slider Control 2")("Slider");

[x, y]

To avoid typing everything you can simply use the pickwhip like this:

pickwhip.jpg

I just typed "y =" and then clicked the pickwhip and pointed to the Slider 2 value.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately, you won't get any Bezzier curves you can animate this way. You could however, animate a null in X and another null in Y and then use the pickwhip to tie the x and y values to the nulls. This would give you Bezzier curves in the Comp window that you could adjust manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm constantly getting this kind of warning, no matter how I try to pull this off:

Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 3.52.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't typed the whole expression in.

In Rick's expression, x and y are just variables and AE doesn't know what to do with these. But AE expects you to return a 2-dimensional array at the end of the expression:

//    This assumes that you have 2 sliders on the shape layer,

//     and that they're named "X" and "Y"

var x = effect("X")(1);

var y = effect("Y")(1);

//   Now "return" the array

[x, y]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank YOU!  Maxweel!

I assumed x and y were AE variables that AE knew about.  Did not even read down further to see the array line.

Both of you, thank you very much.  This completely solves my problem, I can now do as I please with this position, with full bezier control.  AWESOME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to the votes, I NEED to be able to separate X and Y in ALL of the position properties, not just in the "Transform" sub-menu.

I'm trying to get realistic character animation, Pixar style, as per my training through Animation Mentor and experience beyond.

But I can't do exactly what I need with, for instance, the Puppet Pin Tool because I can't separate X and Y.

Even something simple like the bouncy ball - as per this video - http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-after-effects-cs4/animating-precisely-with-separate-dimensions/

If I make my ball connected to a Puppet Pin, I can't properly animate a bouncy ball. Imagine that difficulty multiplied as I apply the same problem to a full character rig with arms and legs. It seems pointless having the Pin tool at all if I can't properly control it.

This is a big problem, as I've been using Adobe steadily for six years since CS3, and I've just discovered the graph editor has been removed from Flash, per CC. Where else can I go if not at least to AE?

If I can't get these controls over my animation, I'd have to either animate frame-by-frame, or move over to another product, which would be a shame because I love Adobe and I know it's possible.

I know I'm in a minority, but PLEASE consider adding the "Separate Dimensions" functionality to ALL aspects (I'd even wish for it on rotation, scale, etc.) I would find this not only extremely useful but actually necessary to do what I am trying to do.

Thanks,

ianalexh (Animated Critic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be done separately for each property.

Submit a detailed feature request here listing in priority order the specific properties for which you need this:

http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome - just did it. Thanks so much!

- ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like you guys haven't managed to get that feature in since then. I've managed to get a script written that lets you separate the dimensions on all properties. Its free, you can get it here: Separate Multiple Dimensions Script for After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These replies don't actually work. I found a much better way, just make a null object and tie the effect position to the position of that null. When all else fails: null objects.

You can then effect the position of this null using sliders if you want and not have a brain aneurysm ok bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines