Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR5: The crop moves after deselecting the image

Jun 26, 2013 9:33 AM

Never had this before. After I position a crop on an image it keeps moving up, to the top of the image, after I deselect the image. I did use the upright functionality at first but turn it of to do it manually. Maybe this feature has left some settings in the LR developsettings for this image. I could post some screenshots if that will help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

I'm having this too! ALso when I dupicate the image ("make a virtual copy") it UNDOES the crop on my copy & takes it back to original.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to maartenboerma

I have an additional problem with crops - after editing and cropping multiples of photos (including making some Virtual Copies) - I will begin to notice the following problem.

After I crop an image, let's call it "ImageA," and move onto "ImageB" then return to ImageA, it will momentarily display with the crop and then add an additional "crop" to the History, but it will be the entire image.  The previous crop in History will be the crop I desired.  Nothing I do will make it "keep" the crop I desire.  If I erase the history for ImageA, close LR5, then return and edit & crop ImageA it will be fine.

This will repeat again after enough edits/crops.

Please find and fix this one!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to rtd_cruiser

Same here, very, very, very annoying to say the least!! If I crop a portrait image into landscape, move on to the next picture and then go back to the previous, cropped one, the crop is removed and I have the original portrait again. Shutting down and restarting LR5 does not help. Shutting down the whole Mac and restarting does not help.

What SOMETIMES does help is unlocking the lock, set the cropping to 'adjusted'(I have Dutch version, so don't know what it is in English exactly) and then crop manually. Only thing then is that you don't have the exact width/height settings and you have to guess.

Please Adobe, fix this!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to MarietjeBoog

Yes, I'm getting this too! Seriously annoying....

Generally the crop will move a small distance after I have finished cropping. Sometimes the crop even resizes itself slightly as well.

I'll see if I can get a video out. But in the mean time, here are the specs.

Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681]

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 15848.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 15848.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1220.6 MB (7.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1216.7 MB

Memory cache size: 767.5 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

Library Path: D:\Photo Album\LR Catalogue\LR5\LR5.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Export to Photomatix Pro

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Merge to 32-bit HDR

8) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : a65

Subsystem : 34ef1458

Revision : a2

Video Memory : 466

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: IPS235-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

CardID: 2661

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: D3D

MaxTexture2DSize: 8192

OGLEnabled: true

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 210

ShaderModel: 10.1

Vendor: Nvidia

VendorID: 4318

Version: 10de:0a65:34ef1458:00a2

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 11:57 PM   in reply to maartenboerma

I don't know whether this is related, but Lightroom 5 hangs when while resizing I also rotate the crop. It seems to happen 9 out of 10 times...

Working on iMac with MacOS10.8.4

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 12:27 AM   in reply to tlieser

I have the same problem. Going through some old photos on the filmstrip every so often the photo I select will revert to the develop setting from the previous photo???

Mainly it will in develop mode but sometimes in loupe view although in loupe view the cropping does not seem to change. HELP!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Mer-Made

Please fix this bug. I find if I set a crop then switch to another image to work on. and come back to the one I just cropped, the crop gets reset. Actually if you look at the history lightroom is adding a nother crop step un-initiated. I have cropped then made a radical exposure adjustment so you can easly pick out the image in the thumbnails. if you select this image it will still have the radical exposure and the newest entry in the history" Crop rectangle" set by lightroom.

Lame!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

I've reported this so can you please supply OS and any other relevant information please.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

This forum is a User to User forum. It isn't intended a vehicle for reporting bugs to Adobe. That being said, folk with Staff or MVP badge can, when appropriate, log bugs on users behalf.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

Also happens with Nikon & Canon RAW files, so don't think it's a specific camera issue. It's driving me crazy though, I cannot get my files properly exported to jpg this way.

Adobe needs to fix this one and other bugs.... fast!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to MarietjeBoog

Adobe can only fix bugs that they're able to reproduce. At present that doesn't appear to be the case. Therefore, if you wnat to be helpful (i.e. accelerate the possiblity of an early fix) then please provide a detailed step by step of the actions leading up to the issue. A screenshot of the History table for one of the problem images would also be useful.  It might also be useful to post the info at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family  The QE team tend to monitor same more closely than here.

MarietjeBoog wrote:

Adobe needs to fix this one and other bugs.... fast!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 3:08 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

I'm a user like you, not an Adobe employee. Also, not be in position to monitor forum for most of June or July. That being said, if issue was around back then and hasn't been reported then, yes, I see your point.

maartenboerma wrote:

Again, this was report on the 26th of june. Asking for input now on the failure of this basic feature is a bit strange.

Back to your step by step

I've tried same and can't reproduce the issue. I have added in the use of Lens Corrections - first CA and Lens Profile then Upright On and Off. Again the issue doesn't appear to be occurring on my systems (Mac Pro running OS X 10.8.4) in the form you describe. Is thee any other info about the images or workflow that might be relevant?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 4:03 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

Thanks for the updated screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

This may be related to this problem which has been acknowledged by Adobe although this is not a horizontal crop of a vertical photo. 

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403413#5403413

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

I don't think this was happening in LR5beta but was introduced in LR5.0 and it seemed to be working with the upright feature in the beta.  There was a bug in the beta with the crop tool when you were using the mouse to switch from landscape to portrait that messed  with the aspect ratio but the EASY workaround was to use the X key to change the orientation and this appears fixed..  Unfortunately this new crop bug is way worse.   Hopefully this crop reset will be fixed in LR5.2 final as this is a major workflow problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to maartenboerma

This same issue has been reported/discussed since June 12 on this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5565179#5565179

I know I've been discussing it since release on other forums as well.

I thought one of the benefits of a web-based subscription model was faster updates.... so much for that marketing spin!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to opusjeff

Updates and bug fixes are not the same!

Also, while Lr5 is available to Creative Cloud subscribers it is still deemed to be a perpetual license product and must abide by the associated regulations.

opusjeff wrote:

This same issue has been reported/discussed since June 12 on this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5565179#5565179

I know I've been discussing it since release on other forums as well.

I thought one of the benefits of a web-based subscription model was faster updates.... so much for that marketing spin!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Update or bug fix, what difference does it make?

I'm paying a lot of money for a program that has a defect that has brought my workflow to a crawl.

"Associated regulations"? What does that mean, and what does it have to do with supplying customers with fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

It isn't that hard to reproduce: crop a pic, go to the next one and then go back.... Crop is gone... simple as that and as I explained in my previous post.

Strange thing is it does not happen to all pics, but to some. No difference in the my original files, all NEF.

But it does happen every time I have a portrait photo and crop it to landscape.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to MarietjeBoog

MarietjeBoog wrote:

But it does happen every time I have a portrait photo and crop it to landscape.

I can reproduce it using above info.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to Ian Lyons

My problem is not quite the same, it;s the next photo I select that that changes to previous edit. report - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photos_reverting _to_previous_develop_settings?rfm=1

Don't know if related but trying to exit lightroom with "exit" button changes selected image to black and does not exit unless I exit with "X" button???

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points