• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IE9 ok for latest FP version?

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an HP Pavilion notebook PC running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), with Service Pack 1.  A couple months ago, IE asked if I would like to upgrade to IE10?  (I guess I had IE9 at the time?)  Sure, why not.  I found out why not when Simple Pass, an HP program that puts passwords into one's fingerprint, stopped working.  I got it back up and running this week, but to do it, the good folks at HP tore out IE10 and installed IE9.  They said IE10 goes with Windows 8 (how was I supposed to know that?); it has a bug that prevents Simple Pass from working (which is a great program, btw; I really missed it).

So I have three questions before I attempt to install Flash Player (and pray that it works):

1. Before IE9 was installed, my tech guy, a Microsoft PC pro, attempted to install Flash Player.  The software loaded, but not the plug-in; however, remember that IE10 was in place at that time.  Before I install FP, I'd like to know where to check to see if the plug-in is or is not installed.  What is the navigation path to the checkpoint?  Right now it looks like nothing from FP is installed, because I didn't see a box or movie or whatever on one of the pages here at the Adobe site.  Yet YouTube sort of works; the sound is intermittent.  On the flip side, a classic movie I wanted to watch on a web site produces sound only with a black screen.  I got around that by watching it on my iPad, but....

2. The other thing I'm wondering about is Google Chrome, already showing on my desktop.  It tells me that my PC is running version 28.0.1500.72 m, and says it is up to date at this time.  Is this the reason the YouTube movies (sort of) work?

3. I see that >maybe< my antivirus software may need to be turned off.  How do I know if I really have to do that?

I hope someone can enlighten all of us about these issues, because I'd really like FP to install.  URLS that point the way will certainly help.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, a slight misinformation from HP: yes, IE10 was originally released on Windows 8 (with Flash Player embedded), but a different version was later released for Windows 7.  It works great, but I do not know why it breaks that HP software.

If you want to prevent Windows Update from installing IE10 again, you can install http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36512

You can check in Control Panel | Programs and Features if the Flash Player ActiveX and Plugin are installed.  The ActiveX Control is the Flash Player add-on for Internet Explorer; the Plugin is the add-on for other browsers and Adobe Reader (for PDFs with rich media content).

You can test if Flash Player works at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I supposedly installed Flash Player, but did not see the movie at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html.  Also, there is no error message.  A solid light-grey box shows up very briefly and then disappears.

I restarted the computer, thinking that would help.  Again the movie did not play, so I went to the installation issues page for Windows.  When it said to close all browsers and double-click the icon, I went ahead and did that--except there was no icon to be found.  Is that supposed to be on my desktop as a result of installing?  No matter, I pressed the Start button and navigated from All Programs.  FP is not listed with the Adobe programs, and further down where an Adobe folder lives, FP does not reside in that.  Yet at Control Panel\Programs and Features, it shows Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX!

I just went to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_hea... and discovered there that the dialog box showing in step 9 never came up on my screen.  After step 8, the Adobe page came up saying the installation was successful.

Getting closer, I went to Tools\Safety and turned ON the ActiveX control.  When I went back to see if the movie would show, now the grey box stays put on the screen (it disappeared before).  But still no movie.

Anyway, FP is not working, and I don't know what to do, esp. if my tech guy, who's really good, cannot figure it out.  Is it possible to get free installation help from Adobe Tech Support on the phone?  It would be far better for those good folks to grab hold of my computer and do what needs to be done.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: ceilr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited the previous message some and made some significant changes.

I was just about to install FP, and noticed that it willl ALSO install McAfee Security Scan.  My computer has Norton, it doesn't need this, too.  I saw no warning saying this was going to also install until the Install dialog box showed up.  I cancelled it quickly.

This is really discouraging.  I haven't got time to fox this any more.  I've already tried for a couple of hours.  That's unreasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the offline installer, which is not bundled with any 3rd-party software, from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_hea...

But I suspect that the Flash Player ActiveX Control is already installed on your system.  A few things to check

P.S. Adobe does not provide free support for their free products; only for paid or subscription software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the offline installer (thank you!), but still cannot see the movie.  However, here is what I do know at this point:

I went to Control Panel\Programs and Features.

There, Flash Player >32-bit< is installed.  My computer has Windows 7 64-bit.  Should the numbers match?

I also checked to see that McAfee Security Scan wasn't hanging around.  It's not.

Still at Programs and Features, I right-clicked on the the FP icon to go to the Settings Manager, went to Advanced, and there it tells the tale: FP is installed (11.8.800.94), but it also says the Plug-In version is NOT installed.  (That's the place I was looking for; now I know where it is.)  Clicking on Check Now still gives me a blank space and no movie.

Is there supposed to be a FP icon on my desktop?  If so, it's not there.

Then in IE9, I went to Tools\Manage Add-Ons and checked ShockWave Flash Object.  It was already Enabled.

Last of all, I went to the page showing my computer's Website Storage Settings Panel.  The panel is not there, but when I do a mouseover, it's clear that there IS stuff to click on.  I don't dare try, though!

I hope this gives Pat or someone else enough information to supply an answer to this elusive dilemma.  It feels so close, yet so far away......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 7 64-bit, it does not show anything 32-bit or 64-bit on the installed Flash Player in Programs and Features.

Regarding the plugin, you only need it if you use other browsers like Firefox, or use Adobe Reader to view PDFs with rich media content.

Flash Player is just a browser add-on, it would be useless to have an icon on the desktop.

Finally, did you check if ActiveX Filtering is disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2013 Jul 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ActiveX filtering has been disabled all along.

My computer cannot play any videos at The Wall Street Journal, and I should tell you that anything at YouTube eventually stops in the middle because the content is still loading.  I click on the video and any still picture that was there turns black.  No sound, either.  I'm guessing I really need that plug-in.  Is that what you mean by "rich media content"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Shockwave Flash add-on is enabled and ActiveX Filtering disabled, then the videos should just play.  I do not know why they wouldn't.

Rich media content in PDF documents means when they contain embedded Flash videos, MP3s, etc.

You can download the Flash Player plugin from the link in my reply #5 above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean...

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#main-pars_he...

...it's in my Downloads folder, BUT I just clicked on Run and got "Certificate authorization falled."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange; the installer name is install_flash_player.exe ?

If yes, see if anything in this topic helps: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1085756

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked on a MSNBC video I wanted to watch, and the MSNBC screen said this computer HAD to install Flash Player.  I have installed it THREE times in the last ten minutes, and am still getting the same message from MSNBC.  The third time I used the direct link on the troubleshooting page.  No dice.  ?????  I'm sure it's that plug-in that won't plug-in.  How do I convince my computer to do that?  I am >not< getting &quot;cerficate of authorization failed&quot; and the installation process only stops to tell me to shut down IE.

This computer has Norton Antivirus.  Any effect?  Norton claims FP is &quot;safe.&quot;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is Flash Player actually installed on your system?

Is the add-on enabled in Internet Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had IE 10 on Windows 7 before I owned a Windows 8 PC. Had no problems with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines