I am a site admin with 7 Contributors accessing my site via
Contribute 3. I have created templates for them to use to create
their new pages. These templates allow them to only edit text; they
cannot update styles or layout in any way. I have noticed that,
whenever I make updates to my templates and resave them out onto
the server, some of my Contributors will pick up the new template
and some will not. Is there any way to force them to pull the new
templates? I have asked them to all Refresh Templates before they
create new ones....they tell me that they have, but they are still
pulling the old template. This causes an issue because, if they
pull the old template, I have to open their page in Dreamweaver and
update the template. Doing this on 30+ pages each month gets quite
tiring and almost defeats the purpose of Contribute for me. Any
suggestions on this issue are much appreciated!
Sometimes, they will have drafts waiting for me to publish,
but those pages I expect to be out of sync. It's the new ones they
create after I update the template that aren't picking up the new
template as expected. As far as I know, they do not have "Don't
connect to websites at startup" checked. I have asked and have
always been told no, it is not checked.
Perhaps - and this is just a guess - the template references
in the pages have got messed up. Something I've noticed is that
template names with spaces in them get messed up by Contribute. At
the top of each web page based on a template is the <!--
InstanceBegin template=".....dwt" --> tag. If the template name
in there contains spaces it will sometimes get URL-encoded, i.e.
spaces become %20, and then Dreamweaver no longer recognizes the
template name as matching the one you're editing. Best practice
seems to be a an all character template file name.
I have looked into the code before applying the new template
to see what the problem is, hoping I could figure it out. I believe
you may be on to something with the template reference. Whenever I
look at the page that they have created, it is trying to find the
template in the root directory, rather than in the Templates folder
where it actually exists. I have no idea what causes this, however.
All of my templates are one-word names, with no spaces or special
characters....easier to remember that way.