• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New features in Photoshop Elements 12 ?.

Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements has come a long way since it replaced Photoshop 5 LE back in 2001.  It however still lacks many of the more professional features of Photoshop Creative Cloud such as 16 Bit Editing, CMYK color mode and soft-proofing.  It also has a number of watered down or simplified features like the slider depended Adjust Color Curves and Photomerge Exposure rather than HDR editing.  With Photoshop Elements 12 expected to be released in September what new features or functionally would you most like to be added to the new version ?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one - and it's none of the above!

Support for 64 bit OS and memory beyond 3GB.  I have 32GB and 'out of memory' messages become as irritating as hell under those conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean, I should have included 64 bit OS in the original post.  It's so annoying when you've worked on an image and can't save for this reason when you've got plenty of RAM not being utilized in your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, and all the more baffling when you consider that for a PSE typical user, a 64 bit >4GB RAM machine has probably been the de facto spec for years now.  Perocnally is PSE 12 had no othe feature than 64 bit mult thread support that would be enough to justify its purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  64 bit OS support and 16 Bit editing are the two new functions I would most appreciate in the next version.  Full version's of ARC and Curves would be next on my list, but I can get around those limitations by using Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjustment brush in ACR for elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see 64 bit OS support... and please don't turn it into a subscription-only offering like CC.

Seems like rumors have Photoshop Elements 11 coming once again in Septemer 2013 (an annual release cycle just like the last few years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While things are always subject to change, I have not heard anything about PrE, or PsE going to the CC (Creative Cloud), but as pointed out, the new version has historically been released by mid-Sept, or early-Oct, in time for Holiday shopping.

Over the last several years, ProDesignTools (an Adobe partner, and influencer) has hit the release date pretty closely - think they were within two days, with PrE 11.

As those, who really KNOW, cannot say, we only have speculation on when the new version will be released. We may need to wait until that release, to find out both what is in PrE/PsE 12, and how those Elements programs will be licensed.

Obviously, the big, full-featured programs, like Ps, PrPro, AE and some others HAVE gone exclusively to the CC licensing, I do not anticipate that Adobe will make changes to those programs, but have no reason to anticipate that the Elements programs will go to CC. One of the big pluses with the CC licensing, is that those bigger programs will get constant updating - something that has seldom applied to the Elements programs. Still, we all must wait.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few thoughts related to the Organizer portion:

1. Comments for tags.  The ‘keyword tags’ in all the versions I’ve used allows you to enter comments about the tag.  However, version 11 introduced ‘people tags’ – but that did not include the ability to enter comments about the ‘people tags.’  For myself, I found the comment field to be very valuable.  I used them regularly to add notes about who barely-recognizable distant-relatives were, and how they were related to me, etc.  I would love to see a comment field added to the ‘people tags.’
  2. Default location for PSE Catalog.  By default, Elements places the catalog in the \ProgramData\ folder (on Windows machines).  The problem is that few users would think to backup this folder as part of routine backup procedures, unless they were backing up the full hard disk.  And, most of the consumer backup utilities (and services, e.g. Carbonite) generally have defaults to only backup the \users\{username}\ folder structure.  As a result, for users who are diligent about doing regular backups, there is a pretty good chance that they are not backing up this very critical file.  Compounding this is the fact that the process to move the catalog to another folder is far from intuitive.  It is virtually impossible to figure out from the user-interface itself.  As I’ve wanted to move the catalog location with each new version of the release, I’ve had to spend considerable time searching the web and Adobe knowledgebase to find out how to do it.  It would be great if 1) the default location was in the \users\{username}\ folder structure, and/or 2) the user could change the location during the installation process, and/or 3) the process for changing the location after installation was simpler and more intuitive
  3. Comments/Captions.  In Windows, there are several pieces of information associated with each picture file (e.g. date taken, camera type, dimensions, etc.).  The comments field is one that I use to enter information about the image (names, locations, events, etc.).  I’ve been doing since before my use of PSE.  It would be great if PSE could grab this information when doing a media import and store it as the PSE caption information.
  4. Folder hierarchy view.  In version 11, the folder-tree pane on the left side of the Organizer only shows folders that have been imported into PSE.  In previous versions, the folder-tree showed 'all' folders - and those that had not been imported to PSE were greyed out.  I found the view in pervious versions to be very helpful, as it served to let me know which directories I had not yet imported.  With the interface in version 11, I either 1) have to make more of a manual effort (comparing my actual folder-tree with that I see in PSE), or 2) rely on memory to realize that PSE is not showing me pictures that I have.

I'm looking forward to the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brian11375 wrote:

A few thoughts related to the Organizer portion:

• Folder hierarchy view.  In version 11, the folder-tree pane on the left side of the Organizer only shows folders that have been imported into PSE.  In previous versions, the folder-tree showed 'all' folders - and those that had not been imported to PSE were greyed out.  I found the view in pervious versions to be very helpful, as it served to let me know which directories I had not yet imported.  With the interface in version 11, I either 1) have to make more of a manual effort (comparing my actual folder-tree with that I see in PSE), or 2) rely on memory to realize that PSE is not showing me pictures that I have.

Brian,

For the last item,don't wait for the new version. You can switch from the internal folder view you are mentionning to the complete drive folder tree by clicking on the the small yellow icon (2 rectangles) on the right of the title 'My Pictures'. The new view is called 'Pictures', and it's not buggy like in the former versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael.  I had looked for a work-around when I first ran into this issue, and again now with your suggestion - but I'm still having no luck.

When I first launch Organizer, the top of the folder-hierarchy pane shows 'my folders' (not 'my pictures').  However, there is still a yellow icon to the right of that 'my folders' title (the icon looks like two yellow folders).  When I hover over it, it shows 'show folder hierarchy.'  When I clikc on it, click on it I do get a slightly different view of the hierarchy, but it still won't show me folders that have not yet been imported (I specifically created a new folder via Windows Explorere with one picture in it for this test). 

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about the 'Folders'. I am working on a French version, so I quoted by memory...

The new folder view does show only folders which have pictures, or which have subfolders having pictures in them. It skips folders without any catalogued pictures in any of its subfolders. That's the ideal view for people wanting to manage folders from within the organizer. Remember that you don't need to bother with folder organization if you rely on the organizer tags, categories and albums. However, if you want to organize the folder trees, the PSE11 'Folders' view is ideal, it does not add complexity to already complex trees.

If you are using the 'Folders' view to check for non already catalogued pictures, that means your  importing procedure into your catalogs is not perfect.

- You can use the default folder tree structure in the downloader

- You can use the 'watched folder' feature in Windows

- In 'Folders' view, you can right click an empty folder and import all missing media in its subfolders

- or if you right click as above, you can show the contents of the folder in the Windows explorer.

Which earlier version did you use ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the folder view, have you tried right clicking on a disc or folder and selecting Show All SubFolders?

That seems to display all the folders whether catalogued or not.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Brian.

I had tried it on the wrong type of folder... with all subfolders already visible.

That works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked and I wasn't seeing things

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm popping into this particular thread point for a question. I accidentally, during an overzealous back up session, somehow "imported" files that are associated with my machine and not E11. I safely removed all my photos to CD's and reinstalled E11 thinking that it would clear out the Folders tree and I would have E11 back to day 1 brand new. This is not the case. E11 is continuing to prompt me to backup files, missing files and attempting reconnect ions. Since Jan 2013, I have processed 300+/- images, only. The backup attempts indicate I have over 3500 files to reconnect and back up.

I would prefer to do a complete reinstall to avoid having to figure out which files are necessary to E11; however, I used my permitted install as I described above. I deactivated E11, saved the serial number option and reinstalled. However, if that is not an option, how can I delete these folders? Being prompted to backup every time I open E11 is making me crazy. Thanks for any insight and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please see my response in your othere thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1277722?tstart=0

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two for me, not new features , but I'd like to see the return of:

1.   A sharp F11 fullscreen preview - currently to get a sharp preview you need to press F11, then 100%, then back again to obtain a sharp preview as in previous versions (PSE11 prevents this by using a different 'sharpening' algorithm to open fullscreen preview quicker which in turn makes the image preview less sharp).

2. Dual monitor support for organizer i.e. have organizer on one screen & F11 preview opening in secondary monitor - again, this feature was available before PSE11.

I've currently gone back to using PSE9 and wont bother buying PSE12 or any future versions until these important features have been reinstated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does work, thanks!  Now if I could get Organizer to always open to that view, I'd be set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue stems from situations where I add new photos to my computer, but decid that I'll import and catalog them later.  Seeing the uncataloged folders as greyed out was an instant reminder I had to do something. 

I think I've used every version since 6 or 7. But I recall how it worked in 10 (with uncatlogued folders showing as greyed out), and liked that very much.

I'll play around with the right-click and Watch function, as work-arounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 Bit Editing is definately a feature i would like to see. More and more amateurs want this feature. And i don't think it's a feature worth 20$ a month (Photoshop Cloud).

I don't think they need to add CMYK color mode. Unless i'm mistaken it's a feature mostly used by pro. Anyway i don't need it personally.

64 bits support would definately be nice. Pretty much everyone these days using PSE and its big brother have 64 bits OS and 4+ GB of ram. 8GB is the standard for new PC these days. In fact 10 years from now we wont even consider this a feature it will be standard like 32 bits app were 5 years ago.

I would like the Organizer to be overhauled too. It's stupid to have a splash screen when we start the Organizer alone. And the organizer is somewhat slow to start and bulky when you compare it to MS Photo Gallery. The UI ain't that great either. It's not bad by any mean but i think it should destroy the competition which is not really the case right now imo.

Have nothing to do with Photoshop Elements but they really need to step up Premiere Elements. While it's not bad there's a problem when a company like Cyberlink can clearly beat you ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto on overhauling the Organizer. LONG past due. A piece of software that crashes 100% of the time on a common operation just because the file is stored on the network? Pleeessee. That's so 1995...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have the ability to open multiple JPEG images in Camera RAW.  It is possible, of course, to open multiple RAW images in Camera RAW, however to do the same with JPEG images would make life much easier !  I take both RAW and JPEG depending on circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expect an announcement shortly

Adobe have already updated their Help and Tutorial's pages to Elements 12, although the links they are connected to currently take you to Elements 11 info etc.

Link below

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Help and Tutorial page descriptions have been changed back to Elements 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines