Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Image Size and Resolution in CC

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Ok, maybe i'm missing something, but how do i reduce the ppi's of a given image in the Photoshop CC? Changing it in the image size, in the Resolution field, it acomplish nothing. It logs an entry in the History panel, but nothing changes in the picture. Did Adobe changed how this works, or it's just a bug?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

You have Width and Height set to Percent. Try setting to real-world measurement, like inches or cm.

(and actually that is not new behavior. CS6 behaved same way when width and height were set to percent)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That not new. Changing and image's DPI resolution in image size with Resample not checked does nothing but change the images Print DPI setting. Not a single pixel is changed.

If you reduce the DPI the image will print larger check the width and hight shown in Image Size. Or turn on rulers look at the print size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, i should've been more complete in my initial post. Resample is ticked on. I even tried every mode, and nothing... Image stands still like that's nothing with her...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Image should look like it did. Perhaps cc is changing the zoom percent its being display at so the display size stays the same. Just a guess I don't live in the cloud. Still it hard to believe Adobe would break Image size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the image nor the zoom.

Plus I created 2 new documents, one with 300 the other with 72. They have precisely the same size, be it in pixels, be it in MB... Hummm...

I'm missing something. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... No one else is having this same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, how many pixels are there in each document?

Could you post screenshots (before and after, with ruler set to pixels, and one of the image size dialog), or even a video? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/963429?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PECourtejoie.

This problem happens with any document size. It doesn't matter if the document is 1000x1000 or anything else. For example, if i have a 1000x1000 document with 300ppi's and reduce that for lets say 72, the size of the document remains the same. It logs in the history that there was a size change, but the pixel count and the weight of the document remain untouched.

i'll make a vídeo in a few moments displaying this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Where do you see the pixel count and the weight of the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixel count i'm just wacthing in the ruler. The size of document, i'm saving both versions (the high and low ppi) and comparing them. The higher ppi should be a lot bigger, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the image-resize area, itself, you can change the units to Pixels and in CS6 changing the PPI number with Resample checked will change the Pixel numbers real time. I don’t have PS-CC, yet, but from what is being said, those pixel numbers don’t change at all.

See if the PPI is being taken into account at all by placing the two saved documents that are identical pixel dimensions but that have different PPI numbers and see if they are different sizes in the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The higher ppi should be a lot bigger, right?

It should be if you have Resample checked.

Adobe has a all new Image Size Dialog for CC. Please post a video grab when you can. I'm interested to see what is happening.

I know it now has a "Fit To" choice... I wonder if that is somehow over-riding Resmaple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel, changing ppi changes nothing in the document. If i create a 300 ppi file, save it to jpeg or whatever, then resize that to 72 ppi and save in another document, and then if i import both of them into a new document, they are precisily the same size.

Charles, i've tried with every resample choice there... Nothing makes the document to move..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is "Fit To" set to a preset size?

I wish I had CC so I could try this out. Adobe rebuilt Image Size Dialog for CC, so there certainly is a chance a bug got in there.

Can you even post 2 screen grabs of the before/after Image Size dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Fit to part changes to custom as soon as you change the PPI or the height and witdh of the document.

I'm uploading a video at this moment, I'll post it in a moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that it's a bug, maybe Adobe changes in this options made this work completely different from CS6 and i just didn't get it yet. Or maybe it's something so basic that i will fell dumb when we discover what it is... ehehe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video here...

https://vimeo.com/68851207

Sorry for the choopiness, but Mountail Lion doesn't like recording the screen... Sighh...

Perhaps it's better to see it full screen so you can see the pixel count in the rulers.

So... I'm doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Width and Height set to Percent. Try setting to real-world measurement, like inches or cm.

(and actually that is not new behavior. CS6 behaved same way when width and height were set to percent)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no difference mate. The only thing that changes the document in that window, is if you change the size of the document directly in the height and width. If you change it in the resolution it does nothing.

In fact, when creating a new document, i'm not even sure if i'm creating a 300 or a 72 ppi document, independently of what i set in the resolution option. From the size of the document (the size as in MB or kb), i'm starting to believe that photoshop is always working in low PPI settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are saying if you open a file, open the Image Size dialog, change the W and D to inches, then type in a new PPI, makeing sure resample is checked, nothing happens?

It makes no difference mate. The only thing that changes the document in that window, is if you change the size of the document directly in the height and width. If you change it in the resolution it does nothing.

If you set the W and H to inches, then change the PPI (with Resample checked) the W and H are suppose to remain the same, that is how it works. But you should see an increase in pixel dimension and file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, nothing happens. The document remains the same and the size of it (as in mb's) also remains the same.

You know that Zoom in or Zoom out you get in CS6 when changing a document resolution? Nothing here...

The document remains exactly the same when changing resolution, be it increasing or decreasing, be it with any type of resampling modes available, be it with the Height and width set to any measure unit. It simply doesn't work.

Plus, i have no ideia on what resolution i am working when i create a new document since they all are the same size, which is a pain to work with in some projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if no one else is having this problem, either i'm not understanding the new resize window, or my installation of Photoshop is bugged...

Later i'll try to fresh install it to see if it fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CC.  It seems to me that if you have proportions constrained, changing the pixels or percent settings makes no visible difference.  But if you have the proportions set to anything else - like inches or centimeters - then changing the resolution up and down produces visible changes in image size.  I don't know if that's how it is supposed to work.  I'm still getting used to the new image size function.  I like the fact that you can create template sizes - this makes standardising image sizes much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm re-installing it at this moment.

But, i've tried every combination possible in that window and niente. Been on it since yesterday...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you undertake the steps I set out in my post are you seeing the same results as me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines