• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VTML-Tags for text-to-speech do not work in Captivate 6 - are they working in Cap. 7 again?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a hart time to find out, that the functionality was "forgotten" to be programmed in the version 6.
Together with Neospeech I worked long to make single voices work in full functionality and it cost additional licence fee... unfortunately the voices sound tinny so I cannot really use them...and due to different time zones it is hard to find the error together with Neospeech

Now I see that Captivate 7 is available.
Is there already qualified info if the vtml tags work again like they did in older versions?

Adobe Support hotline was NO HELP at all, very unfriendly... only idea was, that I should get the test version and find out myself, pretty impertinent.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Could you pelase share me a sample of your VTML tag that you have applied as well as the name of speech agent you have used for this project. Please install the Neo Text to speech from here--

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=captivate

And reapply the VTML on any voice from it and let me know if that works.

It would be nice if you can share a screenshot of your speech management.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Could you pelase share me a sample of your VTML tag that you have applied as well as the name of speech agent you have used for this project. Please install the Neo Text to speech from here--

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=captivate

And reapply the VTML on any voice from it and let me know if that works.

It would be nice if you can share a screenshot of your speech management.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course the "offical" and correct Neo installation was done (several times!).
Adobe Support Germany finally admitted and confirmed end of last year that the vtml tags do not work with Captivate 6 therefore I bought additional licences (plus 700 USD!!! After having bought the complete elearning suite!) from Neospeech which worked in the demo version wonderful.
This example which I prepared for my boss is read with the "regular" speech agents character by character which sounds really funny,captivate_speech_agents.jpgbut works fine with the additionally installed new Neospeech licences:

The new Speaker is <vtml_speed value="10">KATE and she was  installed on </vtml_speed> January thirty first.

This is a great success after <vtml_volume value="300"> hours and hours </vtml_volume> of trying to find the correct versions and a lot of emails with <vtml_volume value="500">Brian </vtml_volume> from NEOSPEECH. Hopefully <vtml_pause time="3000"/>this concept works now for us and we do not have to pay <vtml_pitch value ="200">extra charge </vtml_pitch> for the new set of voices to be installed with Captivate 6
It would be really, really great, if not more of my time is wasted by searching for failures and I just could work again 🙂
Thanks,
Sandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having teh same issues in Captivate 7.  None of the VTML tags seem to be working with any of the voices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Jeremy for this info! So I rather do not spend any money in the upgrade 😞

What annoys me the most is that there is NO help at all from Adobe side so far ...
In older versions everything worked fine and with spending money on the new versions we are deprived of an important functionality without any notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Is it possible for you to share a sample project with us so that we can investigate the issue at our end?. Please upload the .cptx file to a shared workspace (Acrobat.com) and send me the link to nsukumar@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Nimmy, I will prepare something for you and send you a link!

Find below part of the answer from Adobe Germany support saying (the bold part) that for older Captivate versions there was an additional tool allowing to work with the tags which is no longer included from version 6 onwards and that I should contact NeoSpeech directly...

"Ihre Vorgangsnummer:0183898747

Sehr geehrte Frau Löhe,

vielen Dank für Ihre Geduld.

Ich konnte selbst in den Adobe Datenbanken keine Lösung für das besprochende TTS-Verhalten auffinden.

Die Fachabteilung konnte mir folgend jedoch genau erklären weswegen es keine Lösung von Adobe gibt.Die Stimmen und die TTS-Engine stammen nicht von Adobe selbst sondern werden von NeoSpeech gestellt.Daher stammen Lösungen zu diesen Verhalten auch von dieser Firma.

Für ältere Captivate Versionen gab es ein Tool welches bei der Installation beilag.

Dieses Tool erlaubte dann die Nutzung und interpretation von VTML-Tags.

Laut meinen Informationen gibt es dieses bei Adobe Captivate 6 nicht mehr mit der Captivate Installation mit.

Ich rate Ihnen daher direkt bei NeoSpeech anzufragen.

..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nimmy - I have uploaded the file and sent you the message from acrobat.com

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jeremy: That is great because I have not saved my old trials and I cannot reproduce the failure due to the additional installation of NeoSpeech software.

I really hope, Adobe helps us with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You might already know this, but stating it here to rule out the simple failure cases.

I have had a similar problem in the past using VTML tags inside Captivate. I used to type the slidenotes in my favorite editor and then copy paste the text from there to the slidenotes panel of Captivate. Turns out that my editor was using Unicode and hence the entire text pasted into Captivate slidenotes became unicode text, including the VTML markers. Though the pasted text "looked" fine the markers were messed up (for example, the double quotes around the value attributes looked like double quotes but they were actually multibyte unicode sequences) and this confused Neospeech. The output audio would be funny (for example it would read "Less Than...V...T...M...L...") or NeoSpeech will crash taking down Captivate along with it.

The fix was quite simple. I started typing the slide notes from within Captivate slide notes panel and everything worked fine after that. Alternately I could type in my favorite editor (after making sure that it is operating in Plain text mode) and then copy paste work flow also worked fine.

Another common mistake (at least, I do that often) is to select the speech agent from the drop down at the top of the dialog and forgetting to choose the speech agents for individual slide notes, which may still be referring to a non-neo-speech agent which does not understand the VTML tags.

No other software tool was required like the German Adobe Support team may have mentioned. I am using Captivate 7.

Cheers

Siva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to second the above post regarding cutting and pasting vtml tags into the Captivate text to speech panel. You can edit the vtml tag in notepad (or other editor) and paste them into the Captivate TTS field, BUT, then you must delete the double quotes for any tag values and retype them, in the Captivate TTS panel.

For example, if I paste the following string into Captivate the TTS panel...

<vtml_speed value="90">Speak slower</vtml_speed>

I then remove and retype the double-quotes around 90.

I am using Captivate 7, Windows 2008....

JackL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources