• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-references crash FrameMaker 11

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded from Tech Comm Suite 3.5 to 4.0 (with FrameMaker 11), in a Windows 7 environment.

We have had several instances--on different workstations with different people--of FrameMaker 11 crashing when people are trying to create a simple cross-reference.

In a typical situation, the person has successfully created one or two cross-references, and then FrameMaker completely and abruptly shuts down the next time the person tries to create one.

FrameMaker creates "recover" files when that happens.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, and do you know how to prevent it?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I ran into it too & the last FM 11 patch seemed to have stopped it from happening, but it now seems to have started back up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS – make sure that you send in your error logs after applying the latest patches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. 

The issue was diminished considerably after the people took the patch updates.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me on Thursday - Aug 15 and I am running version 11.0.2.384.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a member of Adobe TCS team to try and figure out what's causing this crash behaviour - so far we haven't narrowed it down yet. You can always tell it's about to happen when the xrefs panel doesn't fully screen out what's behind it - it looks like a graphics refresh is needed, but then it crashes. On a WinXP machine I get the FM crash message, followed by a Windows error message about the application addressing a section of memory that it seems to have an issue with. This extra message doesn't occur on a Win7 64bit machine.

Keep sending in your error logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really getting frustrated with this bug - the other issue is that FM doesn't ask you to send the crash file, so I don't know what to do with them.

I am running Win7 64-bit and this is happening four or five times a day now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it does - it's right in the error message (it's in all of them) - send them to fmerror@adobe.com - the logs are in your C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\ folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this situation:

Adobe TCS Support had me move my project to my local c:\ drive to see if that had any impact on the error's occurence - so far it hasn't had any impact at all. I did manage to capture the error happening on a Captivate video that I've submitted to the tech rep, but I can't make it happen at will through any sequence of actions. It just seems to happen at random intervals when opening up the Cross-Refs panel to add an xref to another open document. I never seem to have more than 2 or 3 .fm docs open at once that I'm making links to, so it's not like I'm really stressing the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine you've not suppressed alert messages, that all files open without missing resource dialogs, and that the files otherwise Update Book without any error logs, yes?

Seems odd, 'cause I haven't seen any behavior like that, and certainly the Fm11 book was xref'd to the hilt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matt - I'm just working at the doc level and don't have any books open when all this goes south.

I'm pretty sure I haven't turned off any alerts; I do normally run with the Console turned off (because I've got the SetPrint plugin & I don't need notification of that), but I'm trying it on now as an experiment to see if it has any impact. So far I haven't crashed with it turned on, but it's only been a day now. I'll report back if  I can pinpoint something.

Just as a test, I did open the master book of books file and update it - no issues other than the expected busted links that I expected to find. Once they were fixed up, it all updated fine. So all clean that way at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I don't think it's whether the alerts or console are on/off, rather that having the alerts/console hidden tends to mask the real issue.

In my experience (and esp. with Fm linked to Rh projects) missing resources in an Fm project are the cause of the majority of crashes I hear about.

I know you know all this, so I'm repeating for the sake of others that find this thread!

Bottom line: Cleaning up shortcuts in fonts/graphics/xrefs solves a great many woes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start the working day by visiting the forum, as there's always something to learn whether or not I'm tracking a particular question. Reading through this one – in case the powers that be ever get me FM11 – I'm puzzled by one thing: what do you mean by "shortcuts in fonts/graphics/xrefs"? My apologies if I'm mising something thunderingly obvious :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels, sorry for my brevity in the last post...

My point:

• If you know that fonts are missing, you should fix the issue
  • If you know that cross-references are broken, you should fix the issue
  • If you know graphics are missing, you should fix the issue

In my experience, an amazing amount of errors will resolve, if these things are corrected, rather than ignored or masked by setting your Fm preferences to suppress the alerts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on the error situation - moving the docs local didn't have any effect, nor has running with the FM Console turned on (it doesn't reveal any issues prior to the crash anyway). The Adobe Tech Support team is concluding it's something in my docs themselves that is tripping up. They started life back as FM9 docs and have been upgraded since then. That might be an issue.

When I can find some time, I'm going to set up 2 or 3 fresh new FM11 dummy lorsum FM docs and start doing some xrefs between them to see if I can get it to crash again. If I can, then I'll submit them to the techs to take apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, have you tried importing the source and destination docs into a new Fm file? That may eliminate the kruft causing your crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not – thanks for the idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can consistently reproduce this problem.

1. Choose Insert Cross Reference

2. Click in list of paragraphs

3. Press Pg Dn on the keyboard.

4. Crash

Comments:

a. Don't know if it also crashes in list of x-references

b. My files are all converted (recently) from FM 7.0

c. Using 11.0.0.380

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Catherine,

Verified. I can get this to happen repeatedly in a new (or existing) file. It happens with either the PgUp or PgDn keys. The Home, End and arrow keys work OK.

You should file a bug report at:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=63

BTW, your FM version needs to be patched. The latest is 11.0.2.384.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Catherine - excellent work! I'll pass the info along to the TCS team member I've been dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard from Adobe whether or not this bug is being investigated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fixed in FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TCS techs I was working with ended up concluding it was something to do with my files and I haven’t had a chance yet to work with the same files in TCS5 to conclude that they are or aren’t to blame. I will report back if I discover anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be only reasonable for Adobe to include this fix in a patch to FM 11. We just upgraded to FM 11 and I really can't see management agreeing to shell out $800 (2 writers) so we can get this fix in FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a new version is released, very few companies provide updates for older products. FM12 was released in January, so I wouldn't try holding my breath for any further FM11 patches...

As a workaround, avoid the PgUp/PgDn keys and use either the scroll-wheel on your mouse or the Home/End keys coupld with the arrow keys.

You can also get FM (or the TCS) on a subscription basis, which can be treated as an expense rather than a capital item, so this may be more palatable to your manamgement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines