Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inability to open an docx file sent as an email attachment

Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After receiving an email with a docx file attachment, I was unable to open it. The error message says, Adobe Reader cannot open ....docx either because it is not a supported file type or the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded). This is a very important document and more may follow soon. Should I uninstall Adobe Reader, then try to open the document ansd save it to the computer before reinstalling Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, doing those things will not fix the problem. What version of Microsoft Word, if any, do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft (Office) Word 2010 Starter. I've never had a problem using .docx before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to fix your file associations:

• .doc, .docx must point to Microsoft Word
  • .pdf must point to Adobe Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'm not very handy with troubleshooting. How do I fix file associations? I'm now also getting script errors constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked the control panel, default options and they seems to be set at Microsoft for .docx and Adobe for .pdf. What can I try next? These files are really important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click a .docx file and choose "Properties"

Under the General tab, where it says "Opens with" there is an app listed.

If it's NOT Word, click "Change".

Select Word from the list of recommended apps or click Browse and navigate to the C/Program FIles/Microsoft Office/Office14 folder and choose WinWord.exe

Click Open, click Apply and click OK.

That should set Word as the app for .docx files system wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to follow these instructions but when I got to Microsoft Office/Office 14 folder there was no WinWord .exe to choose. I entered this in File name but it said the file could not be found. Was there something wrong in my sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try C/Program FIles (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office14 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .docx file I chose was the won I cannot open. I had downloaded it to documents but it still won't open. After trying the new suggestion (Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office 14) a file search came up empty. Tomorrow, I'll try to contact Microsoft to find out why. Thanks for your help. I'm sure if I ever manage to locate WinWord.exe it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open it in the normal way - start Word, use File > Open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't found in Word. I assume that 's because it never opened. When i saved it to documents, It was still unopened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it isn't found in Word, you must be doing File > Open wrong.

I'm not asking you to choose it from the list of recent files, but to choose OPEN, then find the folder with the file in it, and select the file. If the file isn't shown, then it isn't a DOCX file at all.

When I write File > Open, in Word this means Choose the Open command from the File tab menu . The File Open dialog box is then shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2013 Aug 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hit file, then open, the file I'm looking for isn't there. I'll ask the sender how he sent the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file doesn't show up, either you aren't looking in the right place, or it isn't a DOCX file. Try using Files of type: ALL FILES in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's time that someone asks you what your Windows version is.  The procedure to change file associations is slightly different for some versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My version is Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this method to change file associations in Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-which-programs-windows-uses-by-default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have difficulties locating the WINWORD program, you should find it

• Office 2010 64-bit edition: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
  • Office 2010 32-bit edition: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both but neither opened WinWord.exe. The dialog box said the file name didn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm lost. Where are you trying to open winword.exe and why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to open a .docx file (the one in question), choose properties, then under the General tab where it says open with, change it from Adobe reader to Microsoft Word (Starter 2010).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

findhelp wrote:

The dialog box said the file name didn't exist.

Can you post a screenshot of that?  I am really not sure what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to post a screenshot but I followed the directions in reply #6 (from C F McBlob).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This must be the longest topic for a very simple Windows operation...

See this how to post a screenshot: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines