Skip navigation
doggatas
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader has stopped working

Aug 26, 2013 6:46 PM

After 6 months of solid use i.e no crashes etc... Adobe Reader (10.1.3) across all 20 XenApp 6.5 has stopped working. After opening for 10 seconds (either PDF file or application directly) reader crashes with the error in the title (the generic windows crash dialog box)

There have been ZERO modifications (patches, updates etc..) to the XenApp servers in the past 4 weeks. It doesn't matter if it is opened directly off the server (RDP - Local admin) or a user inside a Citrix session. New profile doesnt help either. I could understand 1 server crapping out and having to uninstall/reinstall but 20 all at once?? Something more central has occured. Even the disaster recovery xenapp servers (of which no one logs onto) are not working.

Anyone else expericing this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to doggatas

We had a number of customers reporting Adobe Reader 10.1.X crashing 30 seconds after opening a PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

The issue occurs when Adobe phones home to download:

http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

Which look to be CERT updates.

Block this using whatever filtering software or create a dummy DNS zone and the issue goes away.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to doggatas

doggatas wrote:

Adobe Reader (10.1.3) ....

First thing I would try is to update Reader version, either to 10.1.7 or 11.0.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to Ashen.NZ

We were having the same issue here in AU (mainly ARv11.0.02, but also some with ARv11.0.03 after we tried updating today)

After the acroipm.adobe.com URL was blocked, we had no further issues.

Thanks Ashen.NZ for this workaround. Not sure how an incorrect data download can conceivably break Adobe Reader for all and sundry, but it certainly seems to have done so!

Also - re-enabling the URL breaks AR again, so that certainly seems to be it.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 9:51 PM   in reply to WollondillySC

How did you block the "acroipm.adobe.com" URL?

Is it per machine base or something on a more global scale?

Possible to give more descriptive instructions?

My business wants to find out the cause first rather than just installing the update 10.1.7 across hundreds of machines.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to Ecat@Echo

Hi Ecat@Echo

The easiest way for us was I blocked access to acroipm.adobe.com in the organisation's web filter for all users. In our case, I just had to classify the URL as a security risk, and that category was already blocked for user group.

I'm just trialling setting up a dummy domain zone in our DNS server as well, (only bypassed users are affected anyway, but I'm trialling that).

Will report back.

EDIT - Creating an internal DNS zone works fine - the program looks at the internal DNS zone, can't find the file, and thus doesn't download the corrupted XML file.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to Ashen.NZ

Thanks Ashen.NZ, this seems to be working for us. I have tried with Host file modification & it did the trick. Now we need to block this site!! But Adobe should be fixing this bug!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to doggatas

Hi Everyone,

This was a temporary glitch with our servers that has now been resolved. Please re-launch Acrobat/ Reader and let us know if you still face this issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Deepak

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points