Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG colorspace conversion

Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I convert PNG images so they have a colorspace of /DeviceGray not /DeviceRGB? I have tried in both fireworks and photoshop but neither appear to give a true /DeviceGray setcolorspace instead they give a /DeviceRGB setcolorspace

This are read by our XEROX color printer as a color document and costs 10 times the amount to the business.

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you are using CUPS as your printing system, see

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsaddons/files/filter-colorfilter/

for a filter that converts e.g. /DeviceRGB to /DeviceGray if the

R, G, and B components are nearly equal.

As the filter is written in Perl, it is quite easy to modify it to function

as a standalone utility.

Helge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what version of Photoshop you are using, but it certainly is possible to create a true grayscale PNG file without a profile. Just did so in a few seconds.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I've tried a couple of times in Photoshop CS5 but when the images are added to the PS file they still show as RGB not Gray.

Anymore information or help to acheive true grayscale is appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get the PNG into the PostScript file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a third party software that builds PostScript file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to look at this code. It is normal and typical for image to PS generators to use RGB as their default, and if it prints through GDI it may actually have no choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its only the pngs I'm having problems with. All other images (jpg, gif, tiff) covert and show as /DeviceGray but no matter what I do to the png tey still show as RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it is with the makers of that software with whom you need to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help but hopefully Dov will get back to me with more information regarding PNG conversion to true grayscale using CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mark,

I don't know exactly what you are doing with Photoshop or the “third party software that builds PostScript file” that you mention below, but the fact is that Photoshop fully supports grayscale PNG in terms of creation, opening, manipulating, and output of same back to PNG as well as to PostScript PDF. The only way you can get a conversion of color space is if you explicitly request such a change.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines