Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving illustrator PDF seems to change the colours

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if you can help at all - but for some inane reason, when I save the PDF the colours and blending modes seem to completely change.

Please see below.

brochure-issue.jpg

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

I don't use a mac, but from the note on your screenshot I guess it could be that Mac app preview problem only. What other software you have tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure we can help you with this. What pdf setting did you use, smallest file size?

Set color to "No Conversion", this will keep in cmyk and not go to RGB.

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 11.08.27 AM.png

If this does not help, let us know about  your blending modes, and also make sure overprint preview in on in Illustrator, and in acrobat. Not sure what preview does with overprints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for the help but unfortunately that didn't work. It's really strange. When I save for web, the correct colours come up - it just doesn't seem to get the correct colours when I save to PDF and it's driving me nuts!

Any other ideas? All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zo0tboy wrote:

Any other ideas? All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

did you pay any attention to my input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use a mac, but from the note on your screenshot I guess it could be that Mac app preview problem only. What other software you have tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you're correct. I've just opened it up in adobe acrobat, and it's showing fine. I wonder why the preview app shows it differently then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Preview uses an older subset of the PDF specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview also doesn't always play nice with Pantone + colors (which are used in CC)!

(this would apply if you're using spot colors and not converting to a color mode when saving PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2015 Aug 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what helped me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colors are still messed up when opening the pdf in Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2015 Aug 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened illustrator file in Acrobat - the color I used was still changed. Realized that in one of my gradations I was using a spot color and that was what was changing when saved as PDF. I changed it to CMYK and all better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to embeded images I place on my illustrator artboards as well. Extremely frustrating considering I'm trying to make a portfolio showcasing my work. I can't manipulate the CMYK color settings since they are images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebekah, can you start a new post, this one started in 2013.

And give some more details about document color mode, color settings and settings for saving as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issues and saving for web or changing the destination colours. This is driving me crazy. How do I make sure the colours don't change from the 1st picture when exporting my PDF?  It keeps changing on me to the coloured version below.

Thank you,

Alex

2019-01-31_11-15-21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can see into your computer.

Please post some relevant information.

WHich version of Illustrator is this?

What exactly is in the file? Is there a white rectangle in the background? And what exactly is applied to it? Check the appearance panel and inspect all your objects

Is your document in RGB or CMYK?

How is color management set up?

How exactly are you exporting your file? Which settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does nto appear to be a color managment issue as the original post, but shall try to assist Is the bluish grey background appearing your issue?

Do you have any layers set to invisible or hidden items. Then please update this setting in print, and make new pdf.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 10.46.37 AM.png

Yes this setting affects making of PDFs also, Adobe has never updated the copy "Print Layers" to Print & PDF Layers" which would be more accurate.

If you still have trouble, please post a copy of the file using dropbox, google drive or similar. When people leave out important information relating to the issue, we can answer your post in fewer attempts by having access to the file.

Also do a view >> pverprint, as a fill of white set to overprint can also cause this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the delayed response.

I have version 23.0.1 and the file was made in PowerPoint to PDF. I have edited the PDF keeping the colours RGB.

I don’t see anything that stands out in the appearances panel and I am exporting as a press quality PDF.

The overprint preview keeps showing a blue background. I’m lost on how to remove this. Here is a link to the PDF. Flow Growth Franchising Timeline_v4 copy.pdf - Google Drive

Greatly appreciate all your help!

Kind regards,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy everything from the orignal document into a new file and then save that as a PDF, does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed by opening in acrobat, edit with,

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 10.28.09 AM.png

then selecting and deleting the blue background.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 10.28.18 AM.png

If you open the .pdf file you sent in  Illustrator it looks like a white background at first. If you wait the blue fill that is across more than just the entire artboard, it is across the entire pasteboard., and the file acts slow even though the art is simple shapes and text.

illy.png

Though it says this was last created from illustrator, something more happened along the way to cause this strange acting blue shape.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 10.37.14 AM.png

Try to avoid editing .pdfs in illustrator, though the program allows you to do that, you will have much better reliability opening and editing .ai files in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely something wrong with the export from PowerPoint to PDF.

There seems to be a huge background giving that color.

It shows in CPU Preview and disappears in GPU preview.

You can try this to remove it:

Create a new horizontal document A4 size

Place the PDF document and make sure that the Link option is unchecked (or you mysteriously won't see anything).

Choose: View > View Using CPU

In Illustrator choose Embed frpm the Properties or Control panel.

Select the right edge with the Direct Selection tool (A) and delete 2 times to remove the clipping mask.

Repeat until the entire background changes to blue.

Click again and remove the blue background

Export using the  Artboards option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I saw Mike already had a simpler solution.

That blue background is huge has strange coordinates and shows only in CPU preview

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 17.15.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this solution may have some relevance to this issue. I too found this thread because my PDF export colors were not matching the colors of me AI document. The solution that I found was that the print document was accidentally in RGB when it should had been in CMYK. Converting the document to CMYK fixed this issue. Note: My PDF export was under the "High Quality Print" setting which may have also caused the issue. Hopefully this helps and/or guides you towards finding your solution! 

In response to the "Correct Answer", While working on a Mac, I viewed this issue in both Preview and Acrobat. May not be a mac exclusive issue although I have had issues with Preview showing innacurate artwork in the past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue, with the colors changing when exporting a PDF from adobe illustrator. The solution that worked for me was opening the raw .ai file in preview, then using preview to export the PDF. Colors in the PDF matched the original .AI document then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Preview to get the colors right is never a solution.

Preview is good when you want to check if there is something in your PDF at all.

In order to get color right, you have to set up and use color management correctly and there's no shortcut to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I was facing the same problem, here's what worked out for me:

File > Save As > Adobe PDF > Output > Profile Inclusion Policy > Here I selected "Include All Profiles" and it worked like a charm! I have also attached a screenshot, hope that helps 🙂

color fix.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines