• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change language in UI InDesign CS6 (Creative Cloud)?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I change the language in UI InDesign CS6 (Creative Cloud)? I currently have all menus in Norwegian, but would like to have them in English. I don't remember any options when installing to choose the language. Hope someone can help! Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You have Creative Cloud then you can change the language of the application from AAM preferences.

Please find the link below for the article with the steps :-

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-trial-mode.html  

BTW no need to uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should have been an option, and you might be able to change if you uninstall and reinstall, but also take a look at Change InDesign’s UI Language with Free App | InDesignSecrets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded the free app, but it has not been testen on CS6, so I'll try to reinstall first, and see if i can find this option. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Creative Cloud then you can change the language of the application from AAM preferences.

Please find the link below for the article with the steps :-

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-trial-mode.html  

BTW no need to uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope that does NOT work.

I have a ACP Cloud license. I've installed Dutch.

I went to the AAM and set the preferences to English. Result: AAM started downloading InDesign again and re-installed... it re-installed the Dutch version.

So: YES: yoy have to re-install and NO you can NOT change the language!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah wait: it does work if you set your SYSTEM language under preferences in the Finder to English and then start InDesign. Hmmm... a work around when teaching at last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't call that too handy solution. I tossing here the idea of installing CS6 Photoshop, but just not too interested in the idea of every time fiddling with the language settings back and forth. And yes, I'd be lost if I should be using Photoshop in Finnish. What I would like to see, is selecting the language option right from Application Manager if there are multiple language options at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2013 Aug 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By searching for info on this topic, I ended up here, maybe a bit late to the party but it might be valuable to add my two cents.

Changing the language of an Adobe application varies from application to application. Fortunately, in most applications for Mac OSX the resources for multiple languages are embedded in one and the same application. So you don't install complete new applications, but just some extra resources. However, actually using that language differs for almost each application.

Some applications like Photoshop, Muse, and Acrobat simply offer a interface language setting in the Preferences. Yes, the shortcut key for Preferences is different in almost all applications, and I'm not getting into that debate...

Then: some applications change immediately, some change partially but need a Quit and Restart, some rely on the System Preference's language order setting and act accordingly after logging out and in again, some applications just need to Quit and Restart after changing the System's Preference setting. So it's a mixed bag of procedures. And the Creative Cloud panel has nothing to do with these procedures - its language setting is just for its own interface and installing language resources.

I also tried to install applications twice by changing the installation location in CC, hoping for 'twin' applications that I could just open up the right application for the desired language at will (English or Dutch), but that didn't work well. Nothing new was installed, just some extra resources in the application's regular file or folder.

So Adobe is really trying to let us at least use multiple languages, but the way how to use them is not consistent.

A final word: some CC users in Europe have been offered and purchasing a rare "English only" upgrade to CC, which lacks multi-language capabilities (falling back to the trial period for any installed non-English language). Beware ! http://forums.adobe.com/message/5642418

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A final word: some CC users in Europe have been offered and purchasing a rare "English only" upgrade to CC, which lacks multi-language capabilities (falling back to the trial period for any installed non-English language). Beware !

Yes - and there is also a "German-only" license. We apparently have this one; when I attempt to install or use an English version with our license key I'm told that this key is only good for German versions of the software! Yikes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work. First off, where is Adobe Application Manager? I cannot find it. What I have is Adobe Creative Cloud, which BTW only runs when I right-click it ans select "Run as administrator". V-erry annoying.

Changing the language in preferences to English does not help. The programs still download in French. Very, very annoying....

Come on Adobe, you can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find Adobe Application Manager in the Application folder neither, but you can also find it at the top. You must have this CC symbol, so if you click on it you will see the settings options in the right corner where you can change the language. But anyways, if you change it into English like I wished to do it doesnt really work unless you change your main language in the general settings in your Finder and restart the program...then it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video (from ifskills.com) describes how. Basically, you should open ID (might work with others; this is the only one I checked), but NOT have a document open. Make changes to all kinds of things here, including language. Affects NEW documents. Alternatively, if all your paragraph styles are based on the base one, you could just change the language in that one and the change should flow through to all other styles. I did notice, however, there is a language called "North American English", so Adobe may be taking some latitude on creating new languages based on majority rule!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That video has absolutely nothing to do with the question of how to change the InDesign Interface language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It changes the language of the publication. I'm guessing by your response, it didn't also change the UI interface? I agree with all subsequent posters: there are no options in the Preferences in ID to change the language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no options in InDesign the user preferences that will change the interface language, and your statement that it changes the language of the publication isn't really as clearcut as you might think. You can set a default language for text, by changing it in your Character panel or your defualt paragraph styles (language is a character level attribute), but there is nothing in the user prefs that affects the language assigned to any text, and the choices you make for defaults are only that, defualts, so any text you bring in that is already tagged with a different language will remain in that language, and the language for any text can be changed by the user at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines