• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU not available-incompatible device or display driver

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last summer I was able to use the GPU in Ae (CS6) no problem.

This included the Simple Wire Removal tool, -that was not working yesterday but I have been provided a fix by Cycore Systems, Thanks and credit goes to another thread for the link-.

Anyway, now when I open Ae (11.0.2.12) I cannot use the GPU (Preferences/Preview/Ray Tracing tells me " GPU not available -incompatible device or display driver).

Computer is an Asus G75 -i7-3610QM @ 2.30 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 7HP SP1, Card is Nvidia  GeForce GTX670M -2.95 GB RAM,  driver version 314.07.

How come it was working/recognized, very well I might add, over the summer, yet now all of a sudden it is not?

According to http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html the 670 is supported for Widows and the 650M supported for Mac (Ae version: 11.0.2)

Any suggestions?

Do I roll back to the previous version of Ae when everything worked just fine?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you perhaps updated your graphics driver since the summer? If so, try rolling back to a previous version or install the latest version if you don't have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GTX 670M is not on the list of cards that After Effects will use for this feature.

I presume that you used a hack to force this card to work before. If so, you're on your own; this is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Todd... Hack? What hack? When I originally loaded the Production Suite my card was recognized and worked. I was not about to complain that it was not on the list but seemed to be working, very well too.

@Szalam... I have the latest Nvidia drivers, version of Pr. I did roll back to the oldest/original video driver but no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Todd, you've accused me of hacking Ae to get my card to work, but you won't substantiate that claim?

Tell me just how am I supposed to have "hacked" Ae?

While I am not exactly new to the world of computing, I would not know where to begin to "hack" into Ae to "force this card to work"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calm down. What Todd is describing is a text list that tells AE that you have a CUDA card. Many folks have cards not currently supported/on this list so they use a "hack" that allows them to use that card. You are not being accused of anything bad. Many folks use this technique and Adobe is aware of its usefullness in tricking AE to support a card that is not offically supported yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" ...If so, you're on your own; this is not supported..." a little difficult to read that in a positive light, but that's just me.

So how is it done then?

As I'm already "not supported" by Todd/Adobe - I might as well go ahead and try doing that what I have been accused of.

Does it really work?

If Adobe is aware of this... technique... why not just embrace it and allow folks to... adjust... the software according to their need? Better yet support/allow Ae to naturally use cards, like mine, that have a good wad of CUDA cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks go to Kevin Monahan. I will fill out feature request later today.

Also thank you lasvideo. After a little digging I was able to find a solution not unlike the one you suggested that has restored my faith in democratic software. What surprises me is how easy it was, which underscores my curiosity as to why some Adobe personnel are not overly...forgiving of those who would push the bounds of the software. After all does that not promote growth and improvement? Better yet give reason for the next iteration? Keep a lot of people employed?

Bottom line here is once again I'm a happy camper.

Enjoy and happy computing one and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I was just thinking if it had not been for Todd's...message to me, I would not have been aware that there was even a possibility of "forcing" my GPU to work with Ae, so, thank you Todd, I appreciate the tip.

BTW Feature request submitted.

Basically asking for the fexibility to use today's hardware rather than tomorrow's, and for us to be able to provide real world feed back as to what works/sort of works/does not work. "In house testing" can only go so far. Those who are using this software every day and keep pushing the limits are the ones with the real information.

Back to work.

Again thanks to all who responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

I read through this page carefully but still I don't see a clear way to solve the problem. The link to the article " Enable CUDA in Premiere Pro CS6 without a quadro" is a little bit too difficult for me and I don't know how to apply it to AE. But is it how you solve your problem?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EselJaye wrote:

If Adobe is aware of this... technique... why not just embrace it and allow folks to... adjust... the software according to their need? Better yet support/allow Ae to naturally use cards, like mine, that have a good wad of CUDA cores.

Sounds like a darn good feature request. Fill out the form here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I changed the title of your post so other folks can fix their problem by using search terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man that Kevin is good at his job (one of many Im sure) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines