Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOPICS
Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This TCS4 Help documentation is very vague on how to do most of the things it's talking about. For example: "Create separate HTML topics based on FrameMaker paragraph formats - You specify the heading styles in FrameMaker that should be used as the page break. For example, if the FrameMaker file contains ten topics, each with subtopics, tasks, and tables, you can have each topic convert into a separate HTML file. If each of these topic headings is at Heading 1 format, you can set each Heading 1 topic to be created as a separate HTML topic. On the other hand, if you set the pagination at Heading 2, separate HTML files are created for each Heading 2 topic" ... how do you actually do this? Can I do it within FrameMaker itself? Or do I do it somewhere within RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all done in RH in the Conversion Settings screen. This topic is more of a conceptual overview of what can be done; not the specifics on how to do it. See more of the pages in http://help.adobe.com/en_US/techcomsuite/tcs/using/WS1b49059a33f77726-31aee1b1342288940d-8000.html and watch some of the videos on the Adobe TV site that demonstrate better the relationships.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It reads more like marketing blurb! It would be more useful if it had links or cross-references to the specifics of 'how to do it'.
Thanks for the pointer to the Conversion Settings in RH, I'll see what I can achieve there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking out this page - http://tv.adobe.com/product/technical-communication-suite/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, actually - excuse my dimness, but where is the "Conversion Settings" screen?

The thing which keeps confusing me is this: I am not *importing* FrameMaker docs, I am *linking* them. (this feature is one of the whole points of using TCS4!)
I keep finding that the Help for RH10 is telling me about a dialog which I only get to if I *import* FM files, not link them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH – File > Project Settings > Import Tab > Edit FM conversion settings – you might find more info about the whole process by either watching one of the videos or checking out the Framemaker Integration forum (http://forums.adobe.com/community/robohelp/robohelp_framemaker).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - *that* dialog   Confusingly, it is labelled "import", and I'm not importing, I'm linking    But it seems to apply thanks

The problem with those Adobe TV videos is that very few of them apply to TCS4, they're all for earlier product versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the same principles apply since TCS 1 – they’ve just added more features and made the integration a little smoother with each release. I started using TCS at 2.0 and I’m running 4.0 now & virtually nothing has changed in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well, but it's very often those "new features" that they've added that I'm blundering about trying to use!
I stand by maxim that there's not much point a company providing new features in a new product version if they're not going to document them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines