• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC: the shortcut «Align left --- Default: Shift+Cmd+L» seems not working...

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under any keyboard combination: default, proper, PM, Quark

The Indesign label in the menu (above, left) is shadowed when the shortcut is typed.

But the rest of them are oK

Shift+Cmd+R

Shift+Cmd+C

Shift+Cmd+J

Shift+Cmd+F

Could be fixed in some way?

Just to know if it is a problem here.

CS6 was OK.

Mac 10.7.5

Core duo 3.06

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

I had the same problem, also when trying to centre a graphic using Shift+Cmd+E. Turns out the keyboard shortcuts in:

System Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Services

now clash with Indesign. I turned them all off and now everything is fine: I never used them anyway. Keyboard shortcuts in CS6 aren't affected by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually because the shortcut is assigned to something else.

You can go to Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and find the command see what it's used for - you could use the "Show Set" button and do a search to find what it's being used for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, also when trying to centre a graphic using Shift+Cmd+E. Turns out the keyboard shortcuts in:

System Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Services

now clash with Indesign. I turned them all off and now everything is fine: I never used them anyway. Keyboard shortcuts in CS6 aren't affected by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Ade. System prefreences, exactly this one:

bad left.jpg

Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys - great advice. InDesign CC is no behaving properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I stumbled on this, I was in the middle of a doc when all those shortcuts "suddenly" stopped working.

Does anyone know if this should be fixed in a patch or if this might be a permanent behavior because CC is interacting differently?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really a bug. InDesign on the Mac had to be deCarbonized and written with Cocoa calls for Mac OS X. That may be a requirement of the new programming required. InDesign just gives the system the default for keyboard shortcuts.

However, it's easy to reset the system keyboard shortcuts as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is that to say that similar shortcuts who once worked together (ex: hide / show dock and duplicate) won't in the future?

Are there workarounds rather than simply reset the shortcuts? Would it be possible for the computer to recognize when InDesign is running and thus give it precedence on the shortcuts?

I really don't know the inner workings of apps and such so it's a curiosity more than anything. Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I just meant that if a shortcut is set in InDesign (e.g., Cmd+Shift+L) and is also set in the operating system (same shortcut), the OS will win. But it's easy to change shortcuts either in the OS or in InDesign to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that was a very clear explanation, what I was wondering is why (at least, to my knowledge) CS6 didn't act in the same way as CC does. The shortcuts in my OS have stayed the same and the concerned keyboard shortcuts also (e.g., Cmd+Shift+L), which is why I wondered how it would act in such a way now.

I said it was out of curiosity as I never particularly used the OS corresponding shortcuts, so turning them off did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC was changed totally from CS 6 as it was converted from "Carbon" code to "Cocoa OS X" code.

In doing so, there might have been a switch that Adobe could no longer have that lets the keyboard shortcuts take over ID.

Or it might just be a bug in the conversion to Cocoa and needs to be fixed. I'm sure Adobe is aware of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  This has been bothering the hell out of me since CC arrived!  I knew that there must've been some sort of conflict somewhere, and I reported it as a bug twice.  Thankfully this thread finally showed up under a Google search for ID CC Align Text Left, after months of trying to track this down.  Hallelujah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the System Preferences fix. That worked for Left Justify. I'm also having issues with Duplicate (Cmd+Option+Shift+D). Any luck with this command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to your issue with the Duplicate shortcut, I disabled the Dock Hiding shortcut and that worked for me. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@btschmidt:

Thx man, that helped! After disabling the dock-shortcut everything is working fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work for shortcuts like shift+F7 (align) - any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me on in Mac OS X 10.8.5 in InDesign CC. What operating system? What version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same system, same indd... some other keys aren't working neither... like cmd option c (adjust frame to content)

reinstall indd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by restoring your preferences. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a complete restore button. Where can you find this? Thanx 4 the help Steve...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines