• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom installs to default location despite specific install location set in application manager.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom keeps installing to the default install location even though I have a specific install location set in the application manager. Is there a fix for this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

To members of this discussion we have provided documentation regarding the inability to customize the installation location of Lightroom.  Please see the Lightroom and Creative Cloud FAQ - http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-creative-cloud-faq.html#id_95665.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other users have reported this difficulty as well.  Are you also attempting to install on a different drive besides the one which contains your operating system?  Also which operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Yes I am trying to install on a seperate drive. All the other programs have installed without issue.

My OS is Windows 7 pro.

Kind Regards

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you Planet Matt.  This same difficulty has been brought up by other Users in the forum.  We are currently testing a similar configuration to see if we face the same difficulties.  For now I would recommend installing Photoshop Lightroom on your C: drive.

If you wouldn't mind testing installing Lightroom next week to see if you face the same issue and respond back to this discussion it would be extremely helpful.  This would let me know if the upcoming version of the Adobe Application Manager will face the same difficulty or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problema and do not want to install on my SSD drive. I have tried:

1. Installing from Application Manager - installs to default folder even though set to different folder in Preferences.

2. Copying the setup file from the temp folder and running that. This allowed me to setup a path during the install which it ignored, still installing to the C: default location.

Very interestingly when uninstalling there are 2 entries:

1. 'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5' with the default folder shown

2. 'Lightroom 5' with the preferred folder shown, even though the folder does not exist.

Both entries go through an uninstall process - very strange!!!

This has happened on a computer without a SSD drive as well. Win7 Pro.

Regards

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I can't install on C drive as its about to get full. I want it on my SSD and i trying to change install path in Creative in the prefer3ences and it does not work. It installs on the c drive. I can't work with that so cna't use it. This needs to be fixed. I run a PC with windows 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this issue with the new Adobe Application Manager and the issue is still there. I changed the default install location in the preference section but it still installs on the C drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no time waiting for a fix so I downloaded the standalone installer for lightroom 5. Installed it where i want it and it runs find. It does of course not show up in the creative application manager but I'll live with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you we have confirmed that Users are still not able to customize the installation location for Lightroom within the Creative Cloud application.

Fetigraphy you will only be able to utilize Lightroom for up to 30 days in trial mode through the method you have used.  Lightroom does have to be installed through the Creative Cloud application for the proper licensing information to be given to it for your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff Wright. I am also having the same problem

Can you give me a timeframe for a fix???

Anyone know if Photoshop CC has the same problem as I'm not game to install it until I know it will go to the correct drive as I'm also running a SSD as boot drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6 installed successfully on a SSD with the correct install path as specified in adobe applicaiton manager. I dont see why the CC version would be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Matt

I don't see why the cc version would be different either. I had no problems installing adobe products where I wanted to install them prior to the cc version. This is with the understanding that there would be some elements of the software on the boot "c" drive, but with most of the install on the designated drive. I have CS6 installed on h:, a SSD, no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your acknowledgement of this issue, Jeff. However, I want to make sure Adobe is aware that the issue is not specific to Lightroom 5.

I have the latest version of Create Cloud installed, v1.0.0.183. My OS is Windows 7 64-bit, booting from a fast, but small SSD (C:).

In Creative Cloud Apps / Settings, I changed Install Location to my larger, non-boot drive (D:). I install all of my apps to this drive.

I've installed both Lightroom 5 and Edge Code CC (Preview), and they both installed to the OS boot drive (C:), which was not the install drive I specified in Creative Cloud (D:).

I have older Adobe products including Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 that were all installed successfully on the D: drive, but (the new) Creative Cloud app is failing to properly install new products to the specified location. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled Creative Cloud in an effort to correct the issue, but without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback BKize.   To confirm the other applications you have installed, with the exception of Lightroom 5 and Edge Code CC, have installed to the custom location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

I had to ensure my C: drive had enough space before attempting additional installations in case those installs also ignored the Apps / Install Location setting.

I'm happy to report that Photoshop CC installed to the "D:\apps\Adobe" path I specified in the Creative Cloud Preferences. I haven't test others at this time.

On a side note, I think it's a little odd that Creative Cloud indicates that Photoshop CC is "Up to date", but then Adobe Application Manager - triggered from within Photoshop - had three updates to install, such as Camera Raw 8.1 (CC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much BKize. I can now install Photoshop CC as there just wasn't room on the SSD to give it a go after Lightroom CC insisted on going there

Jeff- any timeframe for a fix to this issue??????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still an issue with Lightroom on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaagee I am sorry but I don't have any updates to report.  I would recommend installing Lightroom to the default location on the drive which contains your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These days, many people run Windows 7 PC, not Mac. Not anymore, even in the community of users of Adobe.

These days, installing a 64bits version of windows 7 is not only wise, but is mandatory if you buy hi-level CPU.

These days, many people running a Windows 7 Pro 64bits version are likely to have a SSD where the OS is located (I understand that people with Mac computers can have hard times realizing it).

So when we see:

1. Lightroom, but also Edge Inspect, Edge Code and Edge reflow as well installed in C: despite having changed default location...
  2. Photoshop and Illustrator will be installed both in 32 and 64 bits versions...
  3. months have passed since we yell in users forum

we presume many things... but not that you listen to your customers, nor that Adobe's looking for any solutions... nor that people who test your apps really own a real computer (no: anything running natively MAC OS is not a real computer... it's a toy for hipsters, a start for children or the only way for old people to keep in touch qith reltives via Facebook, but it's not a computer... I run a computer... nothing to compare).

So will we get any answers ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree - this together with Illustrator CC problems are longstanding and Adobe do not seem to care. This was raised back in June.

Adobe have lost their joined up thinking - it looks like the installation of Lightroom was not considered properly compared to the other apps.

They will eventually lose their crown due to this- it will take time but in the same way that they took market share from Quark and other programs, users will come to realise that their arrogance and pricing structure can no longer be accommodated.

Xara is sitting with a program (Designer Pro 9) at a fraction of the cost with most of the features of many of the Adobe products and I am sure that it will not go unnoticed that it won PC Pro's software of the year award, beating Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff

I was one of the early reports for this problem and am wondering when it will be fixed! LR takes up about 1 gb on my smallish SSD- and that's with the catalogue on another drive

Surely this issue is of enough importance to have a fix? I had to reinstall LR, Photoshop and Dreamweaver today due to a hard drive issue. Photoshop and Dreamweaver installed on the disc indicated under preferences but LR still installed itself on C:

Not good enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it all back. For those still hanging out for a fix I'd like to report that I've just taken the 5.2 lightroom update and not only did it ask me where I wanted to install it, it installed onto the nominated disc and removed the installation from c (the SSD where I didn't want to see it)

Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't taky anything back, for my concern vmoritz. I'm happy things are improved for you.

For my part, LR has been uninstalled the 13th of september.

But this morning, after reading your post, I tried to re-install it: no way! My Cloud App thinks it's still installed and up-to-date and doesn't let me download it at all.

BRAVO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update Vmoritz.

Luffy_D_Monkey please see Creative Cloud AAM lists Applications as "Up to Date" when not installed - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/aam-lists-removed-apps-date.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff !
I saw this link and its content.

Solution 1:

I can run AAM. Sadly it doesn't list LightRoom5 as installed. So.

And my Windows is pretty positive about not listing LR5 amongst installed programs.

And the CC App is listing it though...

So solution 2:

is it safe ? won't it harm my CS6 softwares ? (oh my god: deleting a file...)

Solution 3:

"Reinstall AAM". Well. Do I have to manually uninstall it before?

And what does it have to with the Creative Cloup App listing LR5 as installed? Is the CC App in any way to the AAM? It doesn't seem so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines