Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading from 5.0.1 to 5.0.3

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am sure there is a great "how to" for this. But I just can't seem to find it. And I don't want to horse around with my install until I have a little more guidance.

I also want to say that I am excited that RHEL and CentOS6 are now supported. Good stuff.

JW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question too... currently running 5.0.1 on CentOS. Preparing to install the "hotfix".

The "windows" part of the install documentation talks about "If an existing Adobe Media Server installation is found, choose whether to remove the old version and upgrade to the new version or remove the old version only. "

the Linux part of the installer doc doesn't discuss this.

So I am wondering if this "hotfix" will or will not mess up my existing configuration?

The docs in the installer look like they were copy&pasted from the original product installer docs ( filename is incorrect for the 'hotfix' for example) and thus gives the distinct impression that the setup will basically be a "clean install".

Can someone verify if this is true (in which case I would have to go in afterwards and update the .ini file with my extra VOD folders, etc).

Not exactly a "hotfix" if its going to wipe my configuration...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I can confirm that this is NOT really a "hotfix" for Linux.

BACK UP your ams.ini !  🙂

The installer overwrites your old install with a fresh base install.

It nuked my customized "sample" files (overwrote them with all the standard ones).

It did NOT get my serial number right (does AMS/FMS EVER get it right??)

I have an upgrade version 5.0 from 4.0 from 3.5 ( as do many of us, i expect) and although I entered them both as requested in the installer, it didn't parse the multiple serials.

Thus it fired up for me in "starter" version.  (oh-oh...)

I was able to add my 5.0 full "standard" serial from the webadmin panel, but (as always) it did not update the serial in ams.ini, so I had to do that MANUALLY. 

Hopefully this install does NOT silently revert to "starter version" in 30 days - this has happened to me TWICE in the past - very disconcerting when videos on my LIVE PRODUCTION SERVER suddenly won't play past 09:59 minutes!!

What else to report... no harm done to my custom applications, though of course I had to add in the extra VOD & application paths to ams.ini.

Anyway this was my experience, and I thought I would at least document it here - since it has been half a day and there is still no input on this thread from "ADOBE TECH SUPPORT".

I am actually VERY un-impressed with Adobe's support of this (very expensive) product. You go to online chat, and they refer you to Phone support. You call phone support, and after an hour they phone you back - and then refer you to ONLINE CHAT (!!!!) "Sorry, none of us have any training on this product". Funny - that is exactly what the CHAT people said...

Finally the phone people could do no more than refer me to the FORUM, where they assured me an answer would be forthcoming "immediately" ( yeah... right!)

Can't Adobe assign at least ONE full-time support tech to cover this product??

When I had the (very unpleasant) "starter version revert" bug on my previous install, it took a LONG time to finally get an email from a tech in India, who had to then jump in and peruse all of the internal docs 'from scratch' himself. Happily he was quite brilliant, and came up with an original workaround to the previously undocumented issue. And I note the issue is still not documented anywhere obvious on Adobe support site. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines