• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9: Mapped to Styles in a .dotx; All My Bolding is Reversed (?!)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text assigned my normal style has bold formatting assigned. But the style itself doesn't call for bold. Also, things that were supposed to be hold (e.g., GUI elements) now are no longer bold!

If I select a paragraph with this odd bolding, Word says it has the normal style assigned. But if I highlight the paragraph, and then assign the normal style again, the bold goes away and all seems well.

I can fix this stuff manually, I guess, but there has to be a better way. What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question, well presented, no idea what is going wrong!

What version of Word?

Have you opened the template to look for obvious clues?

Have you tried saving the dotx as a dot and seeing if that makes a difference?

I am assuming this is your own template. Does it happen with the supplied Style Mapping template?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for replying. Had a weekend and a high-priority project in there, so I'm getting back to this now.

Just in case I explained this a little poorly, my Word template (the .dotx I used to map in RH9) has no bold formatting assigned to the normal style. When viewing the properties of the normal style In the Word document created by RH9, the normal style still has no bold formatting. It seems the normal text in the RH9-created document has bold formatting assigned in-line. If I highlight the paragraph and reapply the normal style, the text appears normally. I had a few words in the .dotx template that were bolded via the toolbar icon. Per Colum McAndrew's suggestion, I created a bold character style and assigned that as needed. I did the same for the .css in RoboHelp (and one for italic and one for boldItalic in both the .dotx and the .css). He thought the inline bold formatting could be to blame. After stripping that forced formatting and using character styles instead, the normal text in the RH-created doc still shows up with bold formatting assigned.

I am using Word 2010. I tried it as a .dot; no effect. The template is indeed mine; I've torn it apart and can't find anything suspect. When creating the print version of a document with the style mapping template supplied by RH, all appears correctly, i.e., there's no incorrect bolding anywhere.

I just realized that when using my template, I am mapping the .css' Body Text style to my .dot/x's Normal style. Could that be fouling things up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look at this asap.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing Colum's name in this thread so have you contacted him direct? I am with him at a conference so I can talk to him about this.

First try the same process with the Rh supplied template. I think you will find the same issue and that will point back to something in your topic. If it is the same, then create a new project and import a topic with this issue and using the same CSS. Then generate using your template and verify the problem is in that project.

With that done, add some notes to the topic to point out the issue. Zip the project and see my Contact page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thank you so much for your input. I'm going to keep experimenting and will post any progress here. Colum reached out to me via my duplicate post in LinkedIn's Adobe RoboHelp forum.

If I am interpreting your last sentence correctly, I genuinely appreciate your offer to look at the project yourself. My deliverable is part of a US government IT project and is classified, but maybe I'll gin up a dummy project and send that on if the symptom manifests itself there, too.

No matter what happens, you guys are awesome. I don't know where the RH user community would be without you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just change the words, they are not important.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp