• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple Cross Dissolve Doesn't Work

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am relatively new to Premiere CC, so forgive me if this is a simple fix. I've been searching forums for hours trying to find out why I can't get my simple cross dissolve to work.

I am trying to put a transition between two .mp4 clips, but instead of putting in a transition of decent length, Premiere makes a TINY one (1-2 frames) and then doesn't let me change its duration by dragging. If I manually change the duration by typing it in, it does expand the transition, but with lines through the timeline element (as if I was applying it to a clip without handles). I have confirmed that I have handles, and that the transition works on any other cilps.

I've spent more than two hours trying to get something to work that should take less than 10 seconds. Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the problem transition in the Effect Controls with timeline view and make a screendump and post it here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Is this what you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place your clips in the same Vidoe track.'

Seems like you might have A / B'd them ....but a Timeline grab would show us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture2.PNG

I put them in the same track, but perhaps I did it incorrectly? Here is my timeline; as you can see there is a tiny little transition (2 frames long I believe) between the last two clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this helped me understand a little. I left off only one frame on the beginning and end for the handles, so that explains why my transition was so small. I increased the dead-space, which instantly allowed me to do more with my transition. Thanks for the help! I'll be able to put that knowledge to good use now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the concept!

You gotta have the available frames to

accommodate the length of the transition.

note:

As shooternz (I think) meant by A / B would be having the two clips

on different tracks... if you do that, the idea of needing 'handles' for your

transitions is more visibly apparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lookie here:

AB.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All looks fine to me.

Wondering if MP4 into MPEG is an issue due to GOP issues. Just a wild guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed that I have handles

It would seem they're not long enough.  You need half the desired transition duration for each clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response. College can eat up your life!

Jim Simon wrote:

I have confirmed that I have handles

It would seem they're not long enough.  You need half the desired transition duration for each clip.

Now, do you mean that my handles aren't long enough, or my clips aren't long enough? I didn't think handles had duration, so I'm assuming you mean my clips. My clips are each nearly 4 seconds. That's not long enough?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines