• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC -> performance down, memory usage up.

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched to Photoshop CC.

I noticed performance was slow, memory usage was huge. At first I thought it might be because I was processing somewhat larger panoramas than previous ( eg merging 25 images at 21 MP each ).

Then my SSD drive crashed when the sysem ran out of memory, and I can't recover it.

I reinstalled Mac OSX 10.7.5 on the original HD and re-installed PS. Now my network bandwidth has jumped from under 1 GB uploaded per day, to 20GB, 30GB, 44 GB uploaded.

I don't know how much of this can be traced to PS CC, other than it's slow performance and high memory usage, but it' a suspicious coincidence.

Tom Legrady

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

That would be because the memory usage is about the same as previous versions, and we don't know of any major memory leaks in Photoshop CC (we do a lot of testing to find and eliminate memory leaks in Photoshop).

And because we've seen third party drivers and third party plugins with memory leaks.

If Photoshop consumes that much RAM without opening any documents - then you have about 6 Gigs of presets being loaded at launch (which is presets that you added, because by default Photoshop doesn't loa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 203 Replies 203

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi legrady,

I'm moving this thread to the Photoshop General forum where you should be able to find better help than in the beginner forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop isn't uploading much unless you tell it to (like sync preferences).

And the only thing it download by default is Lens Profiles.

The CreativeCloud app does most of the downloading, when you tell it to install new apps.

MacOS does get really flaky when the OS volume runs out of space - that should be avoided if at all possible.

And Photoshop CC doesn't have increased memory usage over Photoshop CS6.

I think you're looking at some coincidences, or bugs we just haven't seen (like corrupt fonts, bad third party plugins, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always worked with super huge files, because my designers never throw anything away, but since the switch my system slowed down incredibly. my file size is 250M using 150M and I show I have 750GB Free. i don't think it's a memory issue. I do see there is a Background File activity but I think it is from Dreamweaver. any hints, tricks??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aspeeder, you have a system that has 750GB of RAM? 

Out of curiosity, what did you switch from?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the 'slowdown as well.
recently updated from cs4 to cc being stumbled by it's huge slowdown.

I work on a 2007 intel mac pro

Processor  2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Processor  2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Videocard  ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

memory  12 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

I limited the animations and cache use to 65%

but the shear 'dunk' in my productivity has made me switch back to cs4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think he is talking about RAM… rather drive space. I am having similar concerns with the 2014CC version that I had not experienced previously. The greatest concern is slow save times. Seeing the little blue meter in the corner stall at 97-99% for several minutes only adds to my irritation. This is slow on both small and large files. I am running an older Mac Pro ('09), and assumed it was just time to upgrade. Performance in photoshop is the only thing lagging though, and it sounds as if others are having similar concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI There!

I am having SERIOUS performance issues with Photoshop since I upgraded to CC. It's locking up with almost every file and causing my memory and disc space to go to 100% usage! I have looked at all the information you have on line and unfortunately none of them answer my question. Why would I have this issue in CC and not CS6 and is there a way I can re install CS6 off of cloud? I can't get my work done, which is time sensitive, because Photoshop keeps locking up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a way you can reinstall CS6 from the Creative Cloud application.

CreativeCloudPreviousVersions.png

But perhaps you should start your own thread and spend a little more time describing exactly what's sluggish and how sluggish it is for you.  It's possible someone here will be able to help you correct the problem.  It's not sluggish for everyone.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar problem. Since switching to photoshop CC I can no longer successfuly edit multiple images as I was able to do in CS6.

I have a Mac Pro running 24GB of memory, yet I'm running out due to Photoshop hording memory. Upon launch, Photoshop CC was using circa 1GB of memory, having processed 7 120mb raw image files as tiffs, the memory being used by photoshop has increased to a whopping 11.81GB of memory. Surely this is an issue with Photoshop CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew, I'm just wondering how much space you have on your OS drive, as per Chris's comment in the post before yours?  In these days of SSDs for OS and program files, people do tend to run very short, and that might be especially true of they have just subscribed to the full Creative Cloud package (although the 12 apps I installed came to a lot less than 10Gb).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

I've got about 80GB free on the boot drive so would be suprised if this is the issue. I think I've worked out the issue this morning whilst working on some wedding photos though - it appears that Photoshop CC is bagging all of the memory I've allocated to it, under the preferences. It is then swapping out between Active and Inactive memory threads.

This appears to be a different behaviour to CS6 which only appears to use the memory if needed, not store it as inactive. As a result, CC slows down the whole system meaning things like Lightroom, iTunes, Safari etc have less to play with.

Does anyone think that sounds plausible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 7, and I honestly don't think I've seen anything like that happen.  Here you go.  I've just ramped Photoshop up to 80%, and the whole system is using <6Gb of 32Gb installed RAM.  I have several other things open, and the computer has been on for two days.  The only time I ever have to wait is when rendering out an export in Premiere Pro.

Prefs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive not experienced it before either - my settings don't look far off your's - the last time I checked, Photoshop CC was taking up 16.1GB!

Thanks for taking the screen shots - doesn't look like it's brought me any closer but at least it rules out any issues I may have with set up within Photoshop CC itself, which is really useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The memory behavior of Photoshop CC is identical to Photoshop CS6 (and CS5, CS4, etc.).

We haven't seen any major leaks in Photoshop CC (and we did a BIG pass on our code to clean out even obscure leaks during CC development).

But again, it is possible you are seeing something that we have not, due to external factors such as corrupt fonts, third party plugins, or third party utilities (anybody remember the misnamed "memory optimizers" from a few years back ? ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been getting good performance with an SSD (480 GB ), and going back to the 640GB hard drive was part of the pre-conditions (440GB free ).

Photoshop grabbed 32 GB of 48GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen anyone comment on the difference between the performance settings CS6 vs. CC

#1: I'm running Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC on the SAME COMPUTER.

#2: I have IDENTICAL add-ons with both versions

#3: I have IDENTICAL configuration with both versions EXCEPT FOR performance settings.

With CS6 this is the display:

Available RAM: 8188

Ideal Range: 4503-5895

My setting: 5650

with CC this is the display:

CC:

Available RAM: 3255 MB

"Ideal Range: 1790-2343

My setting: 2340 MB

It appears to me that Photoshop CC detects available memory DIFFERENTLY than Photoshop CS6. Adobe: PLEASE ADDRESS THIS DIFFERENTIAL. Remember, other than the memory settings, both programs are identically configured on the SAME computer.

Why can't CC see the additional memory that is available? Photoshop CC frequently gives me 'insufficient memory' errors. I've NEVER seen an 'insufficient memory' error with ANY of the CS versions that I've used, from CS to CS6.

I also see VAST differences when using the same filters on both versions. One example: with a 9 MB .jpg, CS6 takes 13 seconds to open NIK Collection color effects pro4 and 32 seconds to apply the Tonal Contrast filter.

CC takes 1 minute 20 seconds to open NIK Collection color effects pro4 and 2 minutes 50 seconds to apply the Tonal Contrast filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ran the 32 bit version of Photoshop CC by mistake.  Use the 64 bit version, like you did in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon/Chris, maybe this will help (perhaps Im not alone in this--I hate it when I'm told I'm doing something wrong, but not instructed how to remidy the issue): http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2012/04/configuring-photoshop-optimal-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that won't help a bit.

Photoshop CC doesn't have a 32 bit version on MacOS.

And Jon simply launched the wrong version on Windows and failed to realize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I saw that thread and I need to add that I have major problems with PS CC 2014 on two computers. One is a powerful notebook with 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD and the other a quadcore desktop with 12 GB Ram and NVIDIA quadro.

I have a poster design in DIN A1. The PSD file is 3.3 GB. If I open this on the desktop computer photoshop crawls slower then a snail. Just changing the visibility of a layer takes seconds. I even can't save the file anymore, because PS says there is not enough memory. Strangely PS info and Windows Task manager (win 7 64-bit)  report more than 8GB of free memory. I located almost all available memory to PS CC 14 with no change. On the notebook I have the same issue. Now if I open the same file with PS CS6 both system feel like a Ferrari on steroids, while reserving less memory. I can work on the image in lightning speed. No delays, adjustments, sharpen, ... No problem!

I experienced the same issues with PS CC 14 using smaller files, less than 500MB. PS runs into memory issues. So you either did a major design change in PS CC 14 or it has a serious bug! I did not use the previous CC version much, but I never had the issues there. It all started with CC 14. How can you explain the different behaviors. It is the same machine, the same drivers, same OS and on two different hard wares. CS6 works, CC14 doesn't.

In general I experienced more issues with any CC product than with all CS6 products together. Premiere Pro is another work stopper. I better use just CS6 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue using 16 gigs ram and a 7200 drive

photoshop takes half the memory and puts the other half as inactive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote coincidence - for me Photoshop CC is just as fast as and uses the same number of resources as Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem on Mac.

After closing my documents without quiting the app,

memory usage does not decreace.

I try to confirm with cleanning the histories and clipboard,

but the usage did not changed.

It occurs every time.

I don't use any plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a problem -- memory usage is not supposed to decrease when you close documents.

Photoshop allocates memory up to the limit you set in preferences, then reuses that memory.

Photoshop won't release the memory until the OS needs it (paging), or you exit photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines